British wrestling history          
has a name     

C: Callon - Campbell

Wrestling Heritage A-Z

See all the wrestlers in this section                    Next page
Kid Callon

We found Keighley's Kid Callon on our wrestling radar in 1950 wrestling the likes of Bob McDonald, Larry Laycock and Alf Cadman in northern England and Scotland.  By then Kid Callon had already learned the wrestling trade in the wrestling rings of Malaysia and Singapore in the years following the end of the second world war. 

Young Derek, his birth name, was taught to box by his father, a former bare knuckles fighter, whilst he was still at school. When he left school Derek started work in the local metal works, on full production as part of the war effort. In 1944, aged 18, he  was conscripted into the army and within a short time he was posted to Singapore, a hotbed of professional wrestling in the 1940s. 

It was whilst serving in the army Derek took up wrestling, using the name Kid Callon, and was soon sharing a ring with the likes of Con Balassis and Dara Singh, billed at “The powerful untamed white savage.” In 1948 he returned to Britain where he continued his wrestling career and played rugby league for Keighley.

Derek Callon died, aged 82, in 2008, but his remarkable life, more so for his exploits outide the ring, live on in the book that celebrates his life,  "The Untamed White Savage," written by his son Derek. 

Dave Cameron (Huddersfield) (Elvis Cameron, Elvis Jerome, The Godfather)

Worked mainly for  the independent promoters in the 1970s, though did have two televised bouts (as Elvis Jerome) in 1975 against Pete Ross and Eddie Riley.

Please get in touch if you can provide more information.

Dave Cameron (New Zealand)

We've had Ted Heath, John Major and Red Callaghan. Yes, another wrestler sharing a name with a British Prime Minister.

Many fans of the 1960s will remember  Dave Cameron as a regular contributor to The Wrestler magazine. He was the one that brought us news of the New Zealand wrestling scene. Dave, from Gisborne on the east coast of the north island, took up amateur wrestling in 1951. In a country dominated by heavyweights Dave discovered that his impressive amateur credentials were not enough to allow him to make the grade as a professional wrestler, 

He made two visits to Britain, in 1957, and again  in the early 1960s, where he did work professionally for Wryton  and Dale Martin Promotions.   


Mad Jock Cameron (Jock Campbell, Hal Strickland)

Big, bearded and brutish Jock Cameron looked the part of a great wrestling villain, which he was.

He began his career as Hal Strickland but was soon transformed by clever promoters into Jock Campbell, the brother of  Wild Angus. Trained by Dominic Pye on the Lancashire coast where he was born  Jock’s early career was as a top of the bill heavyweight on independent shows.

He was at his best in partnership with Angus, and the two enraged fans throughout the world. Jock wrestled throughout Europe, North America and Canada. Jock joined Joint Promotions in 1967, where he was re-named Jock Cameron .

Joint Promotions failed to capitalise on the potential of Jock Cameron, and when Angus was tempted overseas on long tours Jock seemed to be left out on a limb. That is not to say that Jock did not have more than a fair bit of overseas success himself, and much of his later career was spent working overseas, either in the wrestling rings or oil rigs of the world.

Jock is still very much alive and healthy, and lives in Fleetwood

Terry Camm

Worksop's Terry Camm was a popular figure in British rings around the country during the 1960s. He chose wrestling as a career in preference to soccer, turning down the opportunity to join the books of Sheffield United.

Trained by Nottingham's Al Nicol he turned professional in January 1961, making his debut against Gorilla Reg Ray, losing by two falls to one in his home town,  Worksop.  

He was immediately facing big names of the Joint Promotions circuit that included  Arthur Beaumont, Alf Cadman, Don Branch and Jon Foley.

Terry made two television appearances,  against Jean Morandi in July 1964, and Colin Joynson twelve months later. 

He was a regular worker who seemed destined to become one of the big names of future decades only to  disappear from our rings in the late 1960s, maybe to concentrate on his greengrocer's business, but we would like to know.

Wild Angus Campbell (Wild Angus, Cecil Logan)

Unruly hair and unruly natured Wild Angus was one of the great heavyweight villains of  the mid to late twentieth century.

Just when you thought he couldn’t get more villainous Angus had the tendency to do something even more outrageous, often resulting in an exit via the disqualification route.

Following a successful career in the UK Wild Angus became an accomplished international traveller, gaining fame and notoriety throughout North America and Japan. Angus made his home in the USA before returning, via New Zealand to settle in Scotland, where he died in 2005.

Wrestling Heritage has a site dedicated to this exciting heavyweight from the golden years and we invite you to take a look at  Angus Campbell - A Tribute To One of the Great 20th Century Professional Wrestlers

Wild Ian Campbell
Rory Campbell (Bill Turner, Boy Turner)

Rory Campbell began life as Edinburgh's Bill Turner, using the name Boy Turner in his early professional matches. Those were in the early 1970s when he was just a teenager, being born in 1955.

His first professional match was at the Eldorado Stadium, Edinburgh, and Bill worked almost always in Scotland in his early years, against opponents ranging from fast and classy welterweights like Ian Gilmour, to the more aggressive and heavier Eric Cutler and the biggest of them all, Big Daddy.

It was against Shirley Crabtree that Bill made his professional debut, a 1975 match at Bradford, unsurprisingly losing by a knock out at a time when Crabtree was dismissing all his opponents by very quick KO's. Incidentally, this was  the last televised match in which Crabtree used his real name, only to return shortly as Big Daddy.

If that debut wasn't hard enough for Bill they were made no easier for his second tv bout, three months later, his opponent being masked man Kendo Nagasaki (see poster right). By 1975 with Max Crabtree taking over management of much of the northern Joint Promotion circuit the cajoling of promoters Max and Ann Relwyskow brought Bill from his Scottish home to Leeds. On his first day in Leeds he was told that his services were required that night, in Edinburgh!

In the years that followed Bill travelled more widely, meeting most of the big names, and around the 14 stones mark could take on lighter men such as Mike Jordan and Marty Jones to the biggest of the heavyweights, including Gargantua and Jim Moran. One night in Aberdeen he even avenged that tv loss to Shirley Crabtree. He travelled widely around the world to north American, Spain, Germany, India and the Middle East. In the 1980 Bill Turner was transformed into Rory Campbell, with many fans still remembering his televised  match against Giant Haystacks. Rory Campbell is still fit and well, living back home in Scotland with his wife and children.