WRESTLING HERITAGE

British wrestling history 

has a name

Heritage

Forums

Forum Home > Talk Wrestling > Paul Mitchell: Secrets of the Art of Wrestling

The Riot Squad
Site Owner

Does anyone recall a session at the Royal Exchange Theatre, Manchester,in which two well known lads were revealing all to the luvies?

--

British wrestling history has a name - HERITAGE

June 16, 2018 at 5:25 PM Flag Quote & Reply

paul mitchell
Hmmm amazed no northern fans remember this a lot of grumbles at joint and all over Lancashire evening telegraph ,Manchester evening news and the Bolton evening news,not quite wrestling for dummies but few secrets revealed.
June 21, 2018 at 10:45 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Bernard Hughes

hey Riots, what sort of date are we talking here please?

--

June 21, 2018 at 4:24 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hack

Ask Paul. Sorry if it wasn't clear from the heading. This is one of Paul's imaginative posts.

--

British wrestling - great characters but the plot was always a bit of a mystery.

June 21, 2018 at 4:53 PM Flag Quote & Reply

paul mitchell

paul mitchell at June 21, 2018 at 10:45 AM

Hmmm amazed no northern fans remember this a lot of grumbles at joint and all over Lancashire evening telegraph ,Manchester evening news and the Bolton evening news,not quite wrestling for dummies but few secrets revealed.

Sorry Bernard this would have been about 74 75 and I think you might have seen one of these guys at Newcastle.
June 23, 2018 at 8:33 AM Flag Quote & Reply

powerlock
So who were they because I was going to Joint shows then at Newcastle City Hall?
June 23, 2018 at 10:04 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Bernard Hughes

Thanks Paul,1974-5 is way too late for me.

If I had seen one of them , then he was getting on a bit by1974.

--

June 23, 2018 at 10:34 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Anglo Italian

I'd guess at Abe Ginsberg for one.

--

Still trying to work out what was going on!

June 23, 2018 at 4:25 PM Flag Quote & Reply

paul mitchell

Anglo Italian at June 23, 2018 at 4:25 PM

I'd guess at Abe Ginsberg for one.

I'm impressed Anglo love to know why you thought that,the other guy I thought Bernard might have seen would have been a teensge of he saw him he certainly saw his dad im sure.
June 24, 2018 at 6:33 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Hack

If he's right Anglo is obviously using powers imbibed by cheap red Italian plonk.

Does Banks's bitter do the trick?

This story involved Tony St Clair.

--

British wrestling - great characters but the plot was always a bit of a mystery.

June 24, 2018 at 3:52 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Bernard Hughes

Hi Paul, that sounds like Bert Royal son of Vic Hesselle.

--

June 24, 2018 at 4:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

powerlock
Or Mark Rocco son of Jumping Jim Hussey
June 24, 2018 at 8:19 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Bernard Hughes

Hi Power, according to the A-Z Rocco's first fight was 1970, well after I left the area.

I think that Paul, who often comments on my posts, would have known this.

For me it's Bert Royal or we are both wrong.

Paul?

--

June 26, 2018 at 5:49 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Anglo Italian

I can't imagine a Faulkner or a St Clair spilling any beans:  secrecy was in their blood.

Well, Paul, Abe was always a bit of a rebel.  Didn't like losing matches, seemed to lose his rag sometimes.  He had the skull-cap but it didn't seem to satisfy him, he was always on edge.  I would imagine he wasn't much fun to wrestle against.  So I could easily imagine him having the sulks with a promoter and telling all (well, a bit.)

His partner in crime?  I'm drawn towards Judo Alf Marquette - but he was still taking it seriously when he put me in his arm-tie a couple of years before he passed away.

You mention Joints, so it has to be someone even I would know.Given the date.,I'll plump for Bobo Matu?,,

--

June 26, 2018 at 2:42 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ron Historyo

How about Skull Murphy (Steve Young) son of Roy Bull Davis

--

HISTORYO

Time Detective and Multi Heritage Award Winner

June 26, 2018 at 2:59 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Bernard Hughes

Hi Ron, I think that Skull Murphy was also after my time ,but I am waiting for Paul to tell us that little bit.

--

June 26, 2018 at 4:15 PM Flag Quote & Reply

paul mitchell
Interesting comments as usual,well done Anglo was indeed Abe Ginsberg and yes he always had edge interesting guy though,he did a Garfield on Kent Walton by the way and had major ruck with Pallo.Bernard I hope I'm right in thinking you may have seen our other guy very early in his career his dad was a heavy and he was much lighter their surnames were continents apart.
June 28, 2018 at 6:53 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Anglo Italian

Easy then:  Al Miquet!

But I thought the Miquets and Skull Murphys were like the Saints and the Faulkkners in respecting their dads and keeping stumm.

--

June 29, 2018 at 10:30 AM Flag Quote & Reply

paul mitchell

Anglo Italian at June 29, 2018 at 10:30 AM

Easy then:  Al Miquet!

But I thought the Miquets and Skull Murphys were like the Saints and the Faulkkners in respecting their dads and keeping stumm.

Anglo well done ,a foreign based southerner to boot.Obviously I'm not going to make it as a cryptic crossword compiler. Yes your so right in expressing surprise that Alan was involved.it was an afternoon or early evening show and it was plastered all over the MEN who on same night ran a piece about Adrian Street promoting at the houldsworth hall and he being mobbed outside nr Pizzaland on Deansgate.The Royal Exchange event detailed how wrestlers worked a crowd,the blue eye system and discussed showbiz types and straights and why a good bill needed both.
July 1, 2018 at 7:43 AM Flag Quote & Reply

This topic is closed, no additional posts are allowed.