WRESTLING HERITAGE

British wrestling history 

has a name

Heritage

Forums

Forum Home > Talk Wrestling > George Kidd on the Tele

Hack

George Kidd is featured on the Scottish TV programme The Peoples History Show. Ecerpts from matches and interviews with George's son, Len Ironside and others.

On the STV player search for The Peoples History Show and it's the episode for 30th April.

Read our own tribute: A Very Peculiar Phenomena

https://player.stv.tv/categories

--

British wrestling - great characters but the plot was always a bit of a mystery.

May 8, 2018 at 3:46 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Anglo Italian

Thanks Hack.

I have to confess that I come out of this clip full of admiration for Steve Logan:  he sells all George's moves so graciously, you can just imagine the Dundee crowd hating the villainous Londoner.  All this just after we have been making disparaging comments about Logan this winter.

So the propaganda for George Kidd continues 42 years after his last bout.  So many parallels with Kendo Nagasaki.  At the end it is claimed that Kidd was undefeated, I can't really imagine that.  Maybe they mean in title bouts.  They say 49 title defences in 26 years, a bit on the thin side I'd say.  Add a 1, 2 or even 3 in front of the 49, I'd say.

Seeing George sporting a McManusesque tee-shirt - it didn't even look like catchweight against Logan! - made me enjoy the claim that Rocco had broken his ribs a couple of days before:  hocus-pocus but lapped up by the casual fans to be sure.

--

Still trying to work out what was going on!

May 8, 2018 at 4:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

matey dave

whose been making disparaging remarks about our steve, he was a better wrestler then many gave him credit for

--

blessed are the pacemakers

really do need my medication

more tea vicar and another jammy dodger

nurse, i need changing and my complan has gone cold

close friend of gladys the impaler

May 8, 2018 at 4:28 PM Flag Quote & Reply

David Mantell

> They say 49 title defences in 26 years, a bit on the thin side I'd say. Add a 1, 2 or even 3 in front of the 49, I'd say.

It was normal practice to understate the number of defences a champion made to make it out that a championship match was something that happened once every few months rather than something that happened night after night on the tour circuit.

May 9, 2018 at 2:01 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ron Historyo

Anglo Italian at May 8, 2018 at 4:11 PM

Thanks Hack.

I have to confess that I come out of this clip full of admiration for Steve Logan:  he sells all George's moves so graciously, you can just imagine the Dundee crowd hating the villainous Londoner.  All this just after we have been making disparaging comments about Logan this winter.

So the propaganda for George Kidd continues 42 years after his last bout.  So many parallels with Kendo Nagasaki.  At the end it is claimed that Kidd was undefeated, I can't really imagine that.  Maybe they mean in title bouts.  They say 49 title defences in 26 years, a bit on the thin side I'd say.  Add a 1, 2 or even 3 in front of the 49, I'd say.

Seeing George sporting a McManusesque tee-shirt - it didn't even look like catchweight against Logan! - made me enjoy the claim that Rocco had broken his ribs a couple of days before:  hocus-pocus but lapped up by the casual fans to be sure.

As far as George's career goes , like any wrestler he paid his dues , even in his home town.

He did have a high win ratio for a newcomer but going through the papers he had clear losses to.....

Len Ring , Alex Anderson , Cliff Belshaw , Alan Colbeck.

--

HISTORYO

Time Detective and Multi Heritage Award Winner

May 9, 2018 at 3:29 AM Flag Quote & Reply

matey dave

and i believe also a flamboyant welsh gentleman

--

blessed are the pacemakers

really do need my medication

more tea vicar and another jammy dodger

nurse, i need changing and my complan has gone cold

close friend of gladys the impaler

May 9, 2018 at 3:10 PM Flag Quote & Reply

PETER
His obituaries in National Newspapers also portrayed him as a legitimate champion taking part in "real "contests
May 10, 2018 at 12:03 PM Flag Quote & Reply

David Mantell

1) okay, so they kept kayfabe

2)Jackie Pallo - in You Grunt I'll Groan, an exposé on the business, no less - claimed that Kidd would only ever job to people who could defeat him in a "real match" (a shooting catch wrestling contest) and futhermore Pallo stated that he respected Kidd for his stance.

May 10, 2018 at 6:56 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.