British wrestling history 

has a name

Heritage

Forums

Forum Home > Talk Wrestling > Scarface Laval v Jean Ferre

Anglo Italian

Found at last!  Scarface Laval on New Year's Day 1968:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtMd0gyg3gY

Interesting bout against Jean Ferré, with an irritatingly attention-seeking referee, who was reffing for the first time in France.  Good stuff when all three go over the top rope, though.  But a dreadful ending.

There's another Jean Ferré bout from the same year with Jean Ferré winning the European Heavyweight Championship from Belgium's Franz Van Buyten.The Belgian dominated throughout and even monkey-climbed his opponent, shades of Bert Mychel v Bruno Elrington:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PV8jqRSjQBs

The French B&W finds keep coming, and I also spotted this one of Jean Ferré after his UK tours, quite changed by 1970, and wrestling against his future manager:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ak_xc1DNu5E

--

Still trying to work out what was going on!

May 4, 2018 at 6:22 PM Flag Quote & Reply

david franklin

Thanks Anglo, that Jean Ferre v Scarface Laval match was very enjoyable. I was interested in the "dreadful ending" because when he visited Britain that's exactly the same move (punch on the top of the head) that he used to KO Wild Angus at the Colston Hall. It looked rubbish then and it still does now. :D 

May 5, 2018 at 2:56 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ron Historyo

Anglo Italian at May 4, 2018 at 6:22 PM

Found at last!  Scarface Laval on New Year's Day 1968:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtMd0gyg3gY

Interesting bout against Jean Ferré, with an irritatingly attention-seeking referee, who was reffing for the first time in France.  Good stuff when all three go over the top rope, though.  But a dreadful ending.

There's another Jean Ferré bout from the same year with Jean Ferré winning the European Heavyweight Championship from Belgium's Franz Van Buyten.The Belgian dominated throughout and even monkey-climbed his opponent, shades of Bert Mychel v Bruno Elrington:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PV8jqRSjQBs

The French B&W finds keep coming, and I also spotted this one of Jean Ferré after his UK tours, quite changed by 1970, and wrestling against his future manager:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ak_xc1DNu5E

Very interesting stuff and actually much better to watch than when he became too big and slow to even wrestle.

This period was when he fought our top men and you can see that some effort had gone into training him to be able to do a bit of wrestling.

What a shame that a horrible disease slowly destroyed this man.

He also had to work a bit rather than a one minute farce , so you could say they gave the fans their entrance fee.

Better than his bouts with Hogan

--

HISTORYO

Time Detective and Multi Heritage Award Winner

May 5, 2018 at 3:01 AM Flag Quote & Reply

David Mantell

>when he became too big and slow to even wrestle.

This was Vince McMahon Senoir's stupid fault as he told Andre to "work strong" and never go down off his feet or jump up in the air.  Being told to work strong seems to kill off the wrestling potential of a lot of big men (see also the young Paul Wight as the Giant in WCW 1996 before he piled on the flab and the young drop-kicking Sid "Vicious Eudy in World Class in 1988/89 )

May 5, 2018 at 8:23 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Hack

That's a good find Anglo Italian. That's the first time I've seen Jean Ferre since he beat Jim Hussey. Yes, really. And I don't recall seeing Scarface Laval who you so fondly remember. I did enjoy this match, though that terrible referee tried so hard to ruin it. Suddenly Brian didn't seem quite so bad.

--

British wrestling - great characters but the plot was always a bit of a mystery.

May 5, 2018 at 5:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Anglo Italian

That's bad news all round, David, if this confirms the dreadful finishing move of Jean Ferré:  we have had a topic on terrible finishing moves and I think this elbows the Tomahawk Chop out of top place.

Well, Hack, Scarface seems to have been active from the late sixties.  We had established he wrestled as Philippe Navarro previously but seems to have stuck it out as Scarface Laval right into the nineties.  He was no spring chicken in this 1968 video so I can't imagine what he was like over twenty years later.

He was challenged to a Royal Albert Hall bout by Bruno Elringrton and the match was made and promoted - but he failed to appear.  I would imagine he was instantly blacklisted by Joint Promotions as a result which would explain why we never saw him again.  We know he did wrestle a couple of bouts at the Royal Albert Hall but I don't know whether he had any other UK appearances either side of that 1970 night.  Bristol and Croydon were typical venues for visitors like this - but Jean Ferré debuted in Belfast.

I am wondering whether Scarface Laval wrestled Shirley Crabtree in Vienna in the summer of 1972.

He certainly chose a ring name to leave no doubt that he was a villain.  Scarface was of course Al Capone;  but his Laval was the French prime minister who collaborated with the Nazis and was killed by a firing squad under General De Gaulle.  Our boy bore more than a passing resemblance to Pierre Laval so he may also have come across as a Gallic Bonnie Prince Charlie to French fans.

Seeing these videos of Jean Ferré against six-foot-sixers, I do think Joint Promotions did a good job in making his sole tv appearance against the much shorter Jumping Jim Hussey.  That bout that we both seem to remember vividly was a great spectacle.

I wonder why Jean Ferré wasn't featured in more tv bouts on his second and third UK tours?

--

May 6, 2018 at 2:44 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Anglo Italian

BTW what about Jean Ferré being monkey-climbed!  That's better than Hulk Hogan body-slamming him.

--

May 6, 2018 at 5:20 AM Flag Quote & Reply

powerlock

David Mantell at May 5, 2018 at 8:23 AM

>when he became too big and slow to even wrestle.

This was Vince McMahon Senoir's stupid fault as he told Andre to "work strong" and never go down off his feet or jump up in the air.  Being told to work strong seems to kill off the wrestling potential of a lot of big men (see also the young Paul Wight as the Giant in WCW 1996 before he piled on the flab and the young drop-kicking Sid "Vicious Eudy in World Class in 1988/89 )

Both Vincent senior and Junior liked their 'giants' to be indestructible till they stopped drawing or he tired of them, King Kong Bundy the prime example top of the bill in ppvs one year wresting in midget tags the next. Paul Wight was superb when he was young, fit and motivated, I remember him moonsaulting off the top turnbuckle at WCW.
May 6, 2018 at 6:10 AM Flag Quote & Reply

David Mantell

With Sid, the rot seems to have set in some time earlier. The Sid Vicious who was in World Class/Memphis in 1989 under the management of General Skandor Akbar was a really agile athletic big man who could even fire off a dropkick.  Somewhere between World Class in 1989 and WCW later that year, someone seems to have sat Sid down and advised him to "Work strong" and thus he became the lumbering mammoth we remember from WCW/WWF in the 90s.

May 6, 2018 at 9:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Anglo Italian

I found this nice Australian tv interview which adds snippets to our knowledge in spite of some inane questions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTOQjf54aIk

and it even transpires that he spoke Polish at home.  What a linguist.

There's more 1967 footage here and he even speaks Chinese:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAzZnoSGB4I

--

May 7, 2018 at 3:40 AM Flag Quote & Reply

powerlock

David Mantell at May 6, 2018 at 9:49 PM

With Sid, the rot seems to have set in some time earlier. The Sid Vicious who was in World Class/Memphis in 1989 under the management of General Skandor Akbar was a really agile athletic big man who could even fire off a dropkick.  Somewhere between World Class in 1989 and WCW later that year, someone seems to have sat Sid down and advised him to "Work strong" and thus he became the lumbering mammoth we remember from WCW/WWF in the 90s.

Sid wasn't a safe worker to himself or his opponent though. The match that ended his career because of that single leg kick. I thought he would have either drop kicked or double ax handle was going to be the move on Steiner. The landing was horrible it's still on YouTube if you haven't seen it.
May 7, 2018 at 3:42 AM Flag Quote & Reply

David Mantell

That was all years later tho.  Back in 1989 people were comipaing him to Randy Savage for his sheer agility  Thing went to pot very soon though - by the end of that year he arrived in WCW and was just a complete and utter boring muscleman stiff and styed that way for 12 years.

The point being that people like Andre, Sid and Paul Wight all got advised that they had to work in a slow lumbering style to get their size and bulk over.  They took the advice and it killed them off as workers  One kind of longs for a big man who was prepared to turn round to promoters and say "Screw working strong just bvecause i happen to be a bit on the tall side; I want to be like Rick Steamboat."

May 7, 2018 at 9:32 AM Flag Quote & Reply

powerlock
I can remember those WCW worldwide squash matches. Sids matches rarely went over 2 minutes and it was Sid beating the snot out of this week's jobber and then him being taken out on a gurney. It got pretty boring pretty quick. How come the shows always seem to come from Cobb County Civic Theatre
May 7, 2018 at 12:55 PM Flag Quote & Reply

powerlock

powerlock at May 7, 2018 at 12:55 PM

I can remember those WCW worldwide squash matches. Sids matches rarely went over 2 minutes and it was Sid beating the snot out of this week's jobber and then him being taken out on a gurney. It got pretty boring pretty quick. How come the shows always seem to come from Cobb County Civic Theatre

Or they would come from the Civic theatre Cook County
May 7, 2018 at 6:41 PM Flag Quote & Reply

PETER
Documentary tonight on Sky Atlantic about Jean Ferre at 22;10
June 10, 2018 at 8:36 AM Flag Quote & Reply

PeteF3

Sid was so bad in the '80s that New Japan axed plans to make him a top-level foreigner and jobbed him out in one tour. His kip-up at one point was literally the only advanced move he could competently do. He never got good but he (or whoever told him) was 100% right to devote himself to being a statue and letting his opponent just work around him, because otherwise he'd be a danger to himself and others. He didn't compare to Randy Savage in terms of athleticism in any way.

June 11, 2018 at 3:20 AM Flag Quote & Reply

David Mantell

Ever seen his early work with the dropkicks etc?

June 11, 2018 at 6:50 PM Flag Quote & Reply

PeteF3

I saw him work Fujinami where Tatsumi managed to build an entire watchable match around the fact that Sid could do a nice kip-up and almost literally nothing else. That was in February of '89.

June 11, 2018 at 10:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Anglo Italian

Slightly off topic, but I am going to Grenoble for a couple of days and have never been there.  Does anybody happen to know if there are any wresatling-related sights to see there, concerning Jean Ferre?

--

July 11, 2018 at 1:50 PM Flag Quote & Reply

powerlock

Anglo Italian at July 11, 2018 at 1:50 PM

Slightly off topic, but I am going to Grenoble for a couple of days and have never been there.  Does anybody happen to know if there are any wresatling-related sights to see there, concerning Jean Ferre?

I would ask at the tourist office or town hall when you get there or possibly contact them in advance.
July 11, 2018 at 4:45 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.