WRESTLING HERITAGE

British wrestling history 

has a name

Heritage

Forums

Forum Home > Talk Wrestling > Did having a masked wrestler on the bill sway your decision to attend the show?

Bernard Hughes

I forgot to say that perhaps Dick Swales may remember the two brothers.

--

April 16, 2018 at 5:24 PM Flag Quote & Reply

powerlock
Hello Bernard and Les I am sure that I read a few years back about a wrestler called the Blue Mask who was Newcastle based in the 1950s. Do either of you have any recall or information of this gentleman
April 16, 2018 at 6:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Bernard Hughes

Hi Power, I think Ron would be your best bet on this.

1950's might be too early for Les. The only blue mask that I have heard mentioned was Bert Royal when he started and that was only a vague whisper.

Ron may be able to find a bill with Blue Mask on it, then we would at least get some idea of the weight that we are talking about.

--

April 17, 2018 at 4:48 AM Flag Quote & Reply

powerlock

Bernard Hughes at April 17, 2018 at 4:48 AM

Hi Power, I think Ron would be your best bet on this.

1950's might be too early for Les. The only blue mask that I have heard mentioned was Bert Royal when he started and that was only a vague whisper.

Ron may be able to find a bill with Blue Mask on it, then we would at least get some idea of the weight that we are talking about.

Thanks for that Bernard, I think he lived or his family came from the Newburn area, it was an article from years back in the Evening Chronicle that I had read and all the masked man stuff made me recall it.
April 17, 2018 at 6:03 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ron Historyo

Bob Silcock had a run as The Blue Mask and The Red mask at many halls and unmasked evry time he was beaten. News of course did not travel.

He was doing it from late 1930 into the 1950's but I don't know if he was under the mask at Newcastle.

--

HISTORYO

Time Detective and Multi Heritage Award Winner

April 17, 2018 at 7:56 AM Flag Quote & Reply

powerlock
Thanks for that Ron if I remember correctly his daughter stated he had wrestled over 1000 matches and that would be easily attained over that period of time
April 17, 2018 at 8:28 AM Flag Quote & Reply

SaxonWolf

I only liked masked men who were villains, I just couldn't quite buy into a good guy wearing a mask.  Kendo Nagasaki was the best I saw, and I agree with others that heavyweights were best suited to the mask.  

April 17, 2018 at 3:50 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Les Prest
The Blue Angel (Him Stockdale) wore a blue mask, he looked the part from leaving the dressing room with a raggedy gown and tights to match, (what a scruffy sight) then sometime when he entered the ring he would be served a raw fish.!!! disgusting, but the crowd loved it. regards Les.
--
April 17, 2018 at 5:55 PM Flag Quote & Reply

powerlock
I know about the Blue Angel Les, didn't know about the fish. I bet that mask smelt lovely after the fish was served
April 17, 2018 at 6:19 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Les Prest
Here's a good one for you powerlock, In the late 70s I was asked by Cyril Knowels to wrestle at the Plaza Tynemouth wearing a mask, as the golden Falcon, as the usual bloke had broken his ankle the night before. So like a fool I agreed thinking this could lead to better things, the mask stunk of aftershave and a day after my lips were amass of cold spots which I still get to this day, the vest and tights stunk of sweat. The man that I wrestled was Jim Mcrombie an highland games champion, who through me all over the ring. And just to cap it all the crowd were calling me Busby from the telecom add. Never Again did I wrestle in a mask, I'll tell you it's not easy. 😈 regards Les.
--
April 17, 2018 at 7:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

powerlock
Not nice Les. I went to the Plaza on a good few occasions. Good size room. Did the Rex Hotel at Whitley Bay ever hold wrestling shows. The ballroom was a great size and would have been a great venue
April 17, 2018 at 7:27 PM Flag Quote & Reply

powerlock
I should also add the shows were pretty good too
April 17, 2018 at 7:28 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.