WRESTLING HERITAGE

British wrestling history 

has a name

Heritage

Forums

Forum Home > Talk Wrestling > Did having a masked wrestler on the bill sway your decision to attend the show?

Romeo

It probably did to some degree if the rest of the bill was not my cup of tea.However,it had to be a household name mask i.e.Kendo,Bartelli etc.Your opinions please.

--

Romeo

Lightweight Champion Belt

Wrestling Heritage Welterweight Belt Holder

Pallo Junior Award (10)

Middleweight Championship Belt (2)

Heavy-Middleweight Championship Belt

April 14, 2018 at 9:48 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Hack
I was a sucker for masked wrestlers and on the independents I had plenty to chose from. It was always the chanceof the unmasking. Or so I thought. Unlike others I found the Outlaw a bit tame. The best of all was Nagasaki. Early Nagasaki was in a class of his own. I'd like to hear your memories of a masked Bartelli Romeo.
--

British wrestling - great characters but the plot was always a bit of a mystery.

April 14, 2018 at 10:35 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Romeo

Hi Hack.I probably saw Count Bartelli about six times before his unmasking around 1966.He appeared to be to be quite a bit heavier,probably around 17 stones and very muscular.He used to go backwards 360 degrees over the top rope.Always got back on the count of nine.Altogether a very exciting wrestler.

--

Romeo

Pallo Junior Award (10)

April 14, 2018 at 12:25 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hack
We have discussed his style some years back and I think concluded he was a clean wrestler. But I don't think we've had anyone with your experience of seeing him masked, except possibly Bernard. Was he a clean wrestler when you saw him masked? Now popular was he?
--

British wrestling - great characters but the plot was always a bit of a mystery.

April 14, 2018 at 1:09 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ron Historyo

Like Hack I was also a Sucker for masked men. Even today I think I would fall for it.

Most of them I saw were duplicate Dr Death's , Outlaws or White Angels.

The only really great heavy I saw was Kendo. I missed Ghoul , Black Mask , Mask , Bartelli and Zebra Kid.

If you think 1970 plus maybe a few years there were not many about. When Kung Fu and Iron Fist came it did not matter to me if they were masked or not. As non heavy weights I always knew they would be beatable at some weight or another. They were brilliant though.

But circa 1970 who was there other than Kendo

--

HISTORYO

Time Detective and Multi Heritage Award Winner

April 14, 2018 at 1:55 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Anglo Italian

Yes, since there were so few proper masked men in the early seventies it was quite exciting when The Exorcist came along.  Until you saw him wrestle.

--

Still trying to work out what was going on!

April 14, 2018 at 2:48 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Romeo

Hi Hack.From what I can remember he was indeed a clean,technical wrestler when I saw him.He appeared to be reasonably popular.However,must agree with you and Ron that when Kendo came on the scene he was indeed the man.

--

Romeo

Pallo Junior Award (10)

April 14, 2018 at 2:51 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Bernard Hughes

Sorry folks, I never saw Bartelli live.

I saw The Ghoul often and The Vampire once.

I must admit that I did look forward to watching The Ghoul, even though I could have told you the main events in the bout, before it started.

I saw mainly the same thing umpteen times.The Ghoul wins by a knockout in round 6 or 7 after  losing a fall in 4 or  5.

The only variations were when he won 2-1 or a couple of draws or disqualifications.

--

April 14, 2018 at 3:48 PM Flag Quote & Reply

frank thomas
The first masked man i saw live was The Destroyer in the 70s, he was due to meet Johnny Eagles, but finished up meeting Pete Curry. My first sight of Kendo came a few months later, he met Mal Kirk, we went along to see the masked men hopefully lose, but in reality, that would have killed the goose that laid the golden egg! When Kendo decamped to wrestling enterprises \all star, we were treated to the exorcist, and the amazing kung fu. In my opinion, a masked man has to be a heavyweight, neither of them left too much of an impression on me, but they were far preferable to the "rent-a-masks" that Max started serving up as cannon fodder for Big Daddy later..
April 14, 2018 at 4:15 PM Flag Quote & Reply

matey dave

i must say i never saw a masked fighter live, but the one who left a lasting in impression was,,,,,,please note the secret passage is very naughty

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYdDqi1EsFQ

--

blessed are the pacemakers

really do need my medication

more tea vicar and another jammy dodger

nurse, i need changing and my complan has gone cold

close friend of gladys the impaler

April 14, 2018 at 6:07 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hack

Romeo at April 14, 2018 at 2:51 PM

Hi Hack.From what I can remember he was indeed a clean,technical wrestler when I saw him.He appeared to be reasonably popular.However,must agree with you and Ron that when Kendo came on the scene he was indeed the man.

Thanks Romeo and Bernard.

--

April 14, 2018 at 6:12 PM Flag Quote & Reply

maskedmummy
Jack Atherton shows in 70s always good for masked men and not one night wonders Some would win afew bouts and then lose to Kendo eg Black Mask Red Devil but he used others such as Masked Marvel Red Avenger Red Masked Marvel Black Ace Black angel Just before Max took over m & b had The Silver Mask good days with the masked men
April 14, 2018 at 6:18 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Les Prest
Hi Kendo Nagasaki must be the all time greatest masked wrestler, he definitely had the edge on King Kendo (no contest), in my book Dr Death (the Paul Lincoln Doctor) was a close second. The White Angel with his beautiful second was very impressive, If a masked wrestler was on the bill where I was wrestling I always made a point of standing at the side to watch the bout.Other good masked wrestlers were The Ghoul, Mad Monk and not forgetting The Amazing King Fu, (Eddie Hamell). regards Les.
--
April 14, 2018 at 8:09 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Les Prest
P. S. This might interest Bernard, The White Angel was a product of St Likes A mature Matmen (SLAM for short). regards. Les.
--
April 14, 2018 at 8:24 PM Flag Quote & Reply

powerlock
I loved watching Kendo and watching Kung Fu both masked and unmasked. But generally a mask wasn't the deciding factor to go to a show but the bill overall
April 14, 2018 at 8:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tom H

I loved watching the masked wrestlers but if there was not a masked wrestler on the bill I would still go to watch to watch the event.. I saw Doctor Death, The Great Bula, The Monster, The Zebra Kid, The Outlaw and Kendo Nagasaki. They were all good.

The Great Bula, "Charlie Scott", was perhaps not seen by many Heritage members but Bula and the Zebra Kid are my favourite masked wrestlers.

--

Lightweight belt holder

Welterweight belt holder.

April 15, 2018 at 9:13 AM Flag Quote & Reply

ballymoss

I fully agree  with the general consenus that Kendo, at his peak, was the best masked wrestler, although Dr Death (Paul Lincoln) was not too far behind. The good Doctor from "Hollywood" could certainly enrage a wrestling audience quicker than anyone, although he did lack the technical ability of Kendo.

I also had a great liking for the Zebra Kid (George Bollas), another fully capable of quickly enraging a crowd. Although a notable "heel"  he was not without wrestling skills.

--
April 15, 2018 at 9:39 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Bernard Hughes

Hi Les, thanks for that bit of surprising information.

Roughly what time period was he there?

--

April 15, 2018 at 5:17 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Les Prest
Hi Bernard: Ian Glasper (The White Angel) was at St Likes in the early 60s for about 3or 4 years, also did you know Eric Pickering? he wrestler at Lukies quote often as the Green Scorpion in the 50s, and wrestled for Joint Promotions for a couple of years about the same time as Ray Leslie, do you know either of them two? They were very friendly with Ricky Swales. regards Les
--
April 16, 2018 at 2:59 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Bernard Hughes

Hi Les, Most of the people that I met at St. Lukes, were just first names and I can't remember many of those.

It is 62 years  ago.

I remember that there were 2 brothers, who were farmers and the biggest one of those two, the biggest one in my time always fought in a mask.

I fought him one night as his opponent had not shown and he threw me around like a rag doll.

We were in a sports hall , on a mat with the old type school benches  about 2-3 feet beyond the wooden perimeter of the mat.

He threw me so hard, I did a roll, hit my foot on the wood and then cracked my back on a bench.

The organiser, a small man with a black moustache, I think called Dick, thought that I had broken my back.

I was sensible enough  to get knocked out with  a guillotine garotte (as they called it then ) in the next round.

Now that would have looked good in the RAF ,where I had to sign to say that if I got hurt or injured, I would accept the punishment.

However all was well apart from a sore back for a few days.And bruises all over my neck.

--

April 16, 2018 at 5:22 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.