WRESTLING HERITAGE

British wrestling history 

has a name

Heritage

Forums

Forum Home > Talk Wrestling > Kent Walton & Indoor League

Anglo Italian

I was quite surprised recently to hear Kent Walton commentating on Clive Myers and King Ben on Indoor League.

I didn't recall at all that he was the commentator.

--

Still trying to work out what was going on!

March 26, 2018 at 5:12 PM Flag Quote & Reply

powerlock
Fred Trueman was the host, he was awful, Clive Myers had quite a lot of success in the finals but what I didn't realise was that King Ben was arm wrestling championship runner up in 1973, they used a number of WOS commentators so Kent would be the obvious choice for the arm wrestling
March 26, 2018 at 6:12 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Bill Smith

powerlock at March 26, 2018 at 6:12 PM

Fred Trueman was the host, he was awful, Clive Myers had quite a lot of success in the finals but what I didn't realise was that King Ben was arm wrestling championship runner up in 1973, they used a number of WOS commentators so Kent would be the obvious choice for the arm wrestling

Fred was worse than awful powerlock

I never knew King Ben (Boothman)  was arm wrestling runner up either.

I do remember Willie Thorne winning the Pool Comp. though

March 26, 2018 at 6:32 PM Flag Quote & Reply

frank thomas
I knew about King Ben, I remember one of his early professional contests at Liverpool Stadium, he was billed for some reason as "Benjamin King" but recognised him as the arm wrestling champion, he was also said to have been a night club doorman, and although not of massive build, was told he was more than capable of looking after himself .
March 26, 2018 at 6:39 PM Flag Quote & Reply

frank thomas
B.T.W., There was also another arm wrestler on Indoor League, who used the wrestling gimmick of wearing a mask, I recall he went under the title of The Liquidator!
March 26, 2018 at 6:41 PM Flag Quote & Reply

powerlock

Bill Smith at March 26, 2018 at 6:32 PM

There was quite a few pro snooker and darts players that took part Bill. Evidently the show ran for about 5 years.
March 26, 2018 at 8:00 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Bill Smith

powerlock at March 26, 2018 at 8:00 PM

Bill Smith at March 26, 2018 at 6:32 PM

There was quite a few pro snooker and darts players that took part Bill. Evidently the show ran for about 5 years.

True power,

A pal of mine was runner-up inthe Pool Comp.

I remember the masked chap in the arm wrestling.......he lost

March 26, 2018 at 8:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Anglo Italian

Loveday King the lady darts champeen rather caught my eye, was she real?

But trying to stay on topic, did Kent just commentate on the finals or throughout the series?

I am surprised to read all your negative comments about Fred Trueman.  Personally, I thought his presentation syle was brilliant and the first to glorify any kind of regional accent.  And he made the breakthrough successfully.

I can only deduce that most of those of you who have commented preferred the clipped BBC enunciation of the thirties and forties....

--

March 27, 2018 at 3:12 PM Flag Quote & Reply

frank thomas

Anglo Italian at March 27, 2018 at 3:12 PM

But trying to stay on topic, did Kent just commentate on the finals or throughout the series?

I am surprised to read all your negative comments about Fred Trueman.  Personally, I thought his presentation syle was brilliant and the first to glorify any kind of regional accent.  And he made the breakthrough successfully.

I can only deduce that most of those of you who have commented preferred the clipped BBC enunciation of the thirties and forties....

Like you Anglo, I thought old "Fiery Fred" did a wonderful job..he was also was my kind of man, straight talking, not scared to ruffle a few feathers, called a spade a spade..
March 27, 2018 at 4:05 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Bill Smith

It wasn't Fred's accent Anglo.It was the fact that he was clueless,he didn't bowl me over that's for sure

March 27, 2018 at 4:08 PM Flag Quote & Reply

powerlock
Fred's accent was a bit like Cilla's 'Scouse' accent nobody else spoke like that. It was exaggerated and coupled with his obvious lack of knowledge he come across as "thicker than a dockers sandwich '.
March 27, 2018 at 4:59 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Bill Smith

powerlock at March 27, 2018 at 4:59 PM

Fred's accent was a bit like Cilla's 'Scouse' accent nobody else spoke like that. It was exaggerated and coupled with his obvious lack of knowledge he come across as "thicker than a dockers sandwich '.

Correct

March 27, 2018 at 5:08 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SaxonWolf

Indoor League! skittles, bar billiards and stuff like that, used to be on when I got home from school, 4.20pm on Yorkshire TV (ITV), Fred usually stood with a pint of beer in one hand and his pipe in the other.  His parting farewell was always "al sithy", or in other words, "I will see thee later/I will see you later".

It takes me back!

March 28, 2018 at 11:19 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Anglo Italian

Any answers to my Kent Walton question?

--

March 30, 2018 at 10:45 AM Flag Quote & Reply

powerlock
If I remember rightly you didn't get every sport every week. I reckon they were filmed as tournaments over one maybe two days each and then spliced together into programmes and ultimately the series so the commentators didn't have to keep coming back and cost wise it would be a more economic series to produce
March 30, 2018 at 4:28 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Anglo Italian

Clive Myers was on at the weekend and won the competition.  Plenty more wrestling links:  Alan Kilby was there and Wild Ian Campbell was the referee throughout.  But Kent wasn't the commentator so what prompted this thread must have been a one-off involvement.

--

April 8, 2018 at 3:38 PM Flag Quote & Reply

powerlock
It was weekdays up in the Tyne Tees area, so it seems it was a bit of a schedule filler. There was 5 series of Indoor League so we need breakdown of each series, Imdb only have credits for the first season and Kent wasn't involved
April 8, 2018 at 3:47 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Anglo Italian

--

April 15, 2018 at 3:02 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Melvin M Melvin

frank thomas at March 26, 2018 at 6:39 PM

I knew about King Ben, I remember one of his early professional contests at Liverpool Stadium, he was billed for some reason as "Benjamin King" but recognised him as the arm wrestling champion, he was also said to have been a night club doorman, and although not of massive build, was told he was more than capable of looking after himself .

I always assumed that Ben King was his 'real' name (i.e. stage name) and that someone (Maybe Max C) switched the names later. Does this imply that the aforementioned 'Loveday KIng' might have been another family member? His son used to wrestle, but I presume this has been covered elsewhere? I recall a daughter or two attending the match on TV between Ben and his son - Dave

April 19, 2018 at 2:32 PM Flag Quote & Reply

frank thomas

Melvin M Melvin at April 19, 2018 at 2:32 PM

frank thomas at March 26, 2018 at 6:39 PM

I always assumed that Ben King was his 'real' name (i.e. stage name) and that someone (Maybe Max C) switched the names later. Does this imply that the aforementioned 'Loveday KIng' might have been another family member? His son used to wrestle, but I presume this has been covered elsewhere? I recall a daughter or two attending the match on TV between Ben and his son - Dave

Hi King Bens real name was\is Philip Boothman. His son, Mark Boothman, wrestled under the moniker "Kid McCoy" Ben was named in honour of i think his grandfather, or father I forget which.. Mark won the British lightweight title I seem to recall.
April 19, 2018 at 3:27 PM Flag Quote & Reply

This topic is closed, no additional posts are allowed.