WRESTLING HERITAGE

British wrestling history 

has a name

Heritage

Forums

Forum Home > Talk Wrestling > My Dad - Harry Lightfoot

Jeannie
I recently found a couple of newspaper cuttings picturing my Dad refereeing a wrestling bout. My Dad was a referee and MC and ran Hardwick Promotions Gym at Hardwick Hall, Sedgefield in County Durham. I just wondered if anyone had any memories of attending, partaking in any of the wrestling shows or any memories/stories of my Dad. All information would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance
March 23, 2018 at 7:12 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Les Prest
Hi Jeannie: I knew your dad Harry very well in the 70s, training at Hardwick Hall on a tuesday night and having a drink with him at the bar. he run Hardwick promotions, putting wrestling shows on around county Durham places like St Johns Chapel, Newton Aycliffe, Spennymoor and Gateshead Tyne and Wear. Also he was M.C. for A.T. Managements (Johnny Allan/Eric Taylor) who promoted at Newcastle, Middlesbrough, Hartlepool, Bradford and York. He always presented the shows very professionally, smart in his evening suit and dicky bow and always made everyone welcome in the dressing room whether they were new faces or old. Jeannie he was an all round good guy. regards Les P..6
--
March 23, 2018 at 3:21 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Les Prest
P.S. Jeannie I watched a DVD a few months ago I remember Farmers Boy Pete Ross V Dick Lanagan and 3 other bouts, and your dad was referee, If I remember the DVD belonged to John Welsh (Lord Bertie StClare). I will have to make enquiries about It. regards Les P.
--
March 23, 2018 at 3:36 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jeannie
Hi Les, thank you so much for your reply. Sadly I lost Dad nearly 4 years ago So finding as much information, photos etc I can is so important. The newspaper cutting shows dad refereeing a bout and the wrestler is Jim Mcombie - aka Rob Roy Mcgregor. As for the DVD, any information about where I could get a copy would be very much appreciated.
March 23, 2018 at 5:00 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Les Prest
Jennie: Ill get you a DVD, It may take a couple of weeks as Lord Bertie is in Benidorm, so when I get it Ill arrange getting it to you, also I meet up with afew lads from the wrestling fraternity on a monday morning and we were talking about Harry Lightfoot, wondering If he was still around and was he still involved with Durham City/Lightfoot coaches, so Ill have plenty to tell them on monday next. regards Les P.
--
March 23, 2018 at 5:33 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Les Prest
By the way Jennie I'm sorry to hear of your dads passing, It must of been about the same time Ian Glasper,Farmer Johnny Allan and Toma Hansom died, all wresters known to your dad. regards Les P.
--
March 23, 2018 at 5:47 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jeannie
Oh Les, if you could get a copy that would be fantastic, thank you so much. My brother runs the coaches and has done for a good number of years. It'll be 4 years in July since I lost Dad, he got to 86 so he had a good innings. Is there somewhere on the site to put photographs up? Just I have a couple but don't know the names of the lads in the photo with dad and it would be great to find out. If there is, i'll find them over the weekend and put them on. Maybe you'll know them. The names Ian Glasper and Farmer Johnny Allen ring bells, I've heard Dad mention them over the years. Oh to be a fly on the wall when you all meet up ha ha ! Thanks again regards Jeannie
March 23, 2018 at 6:06 PM Flag Quote & Reply

The Riot Squad
Site Owner

Harry Lightfoot has been added to our list of deceased wrestlers.

http://www.wrestlingheritage.com/thefinalcount

--

British wrestling history has a name - HERITAGE

March 23, 2018 at 6:09 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jeannie

The Riot Squad at March 23, 2018 at 6:09 PM

Harry Lightfoot has been added to our list of deceased wrestlers.

http://www.wrestlingheritage.com/thefinalcount

Thank You
March 23, 2018 at 6:46 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Anglo Italian

Yes, Jeannie.  You can put photos up in the Galleries.  It's very straightforward, just open your own Gallery.  Let us know here in the forum when you've done it.

--

Still trying to work out what was going on!

March 23, 2018 at 7:55 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hack

Maybe some more memories from the lads on Monday Les.

And let us know if you want to post images and have problems Jeannie.

--

British wrestling - great characters but the plot was always a bit of a mystery.

March 25, 2018 at 5:02 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jeannie
Having tried numerous times, for some reason I am unable to post any photographs. I've gone to gallery, signed in, chosen new album, typed in dad's name then it tells me to click on Upload photographs but it won't let me so that's as far as I get. I've tried on my phone, tablet ando laptop. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance
April 7, 2018 at 12:55 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ron Historyo

When in the galleries try this.

--

HISTORYO

Time Detective and Multi Heritage Award Winner

April 7, 2018 at 3:17 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Les Prest
Hi Jeannie: I'm in possession of a D V D. Of your dad Harry refereeing and M.C. at a club in Gateshead, and I have an A4 size poster of Hardwick Promotions at Lanchester show, and would you believe In on the bill wrestling Pip Halvorson. Regards Les.
--
April 16, 2018 at 4:15 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Les Prest
P.S. Jeannie we will have to arrange through Hack on how to get them to you. regards Les.
--
April 16, 2018 at 4:19 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hack

I've sent Jeannie your email address Les.

--

British wrestling - great characters but the plot was always a bit of a mystery.

April 16, 2018 at 7:09 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Les Prest
O.K. Hack that's fine I'll be in touch. regards. Les.
--
April 17, 2018 at 1:02 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.