WRESTLING HERITAGE

British wrestling history 

has a name

Heritage

Forums

Forum Home > Talk Wrestling > Antonio Rocca - Not the American

Hack

Maybe we were just naive. No we weren't, we were wrestling fans, and the promoters of the day benefited from our generous nature by knowing that when we watched one of our home grown boys with a name similar to a famous American we might just think we were watching the real thing. Well, Paul Lincoln's Anglo-Italian Antonio Rocca had only a couple of letters difference from Italian-American Antonino Rocca, but we were ready to believe. Deep down we knew it wasn't true. Of course he wasn't related to the American.

Antonio Rocca was one of the Lincoln boys who transferred to Joint and appeared on tv quite a few times between 1966 and 1971. Always seemed pretty good. Since then I don't remember hearing or reading a word about him. Anyone have any memories or knowledge of what happened to him.

--

British wrestling - great characters but the plot was always a bit of a mystery.

March 19, 2018 at 1:42 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ron Historyo

Looking through a few bills he morphed from Argentinian to Anglo Italian.

As an Anglo Italian he did some tag with Mike Marino.

I may have seen him but can't remember him.

One newspaper article says that he died age 49 in 1977 and also stated he wrestled barefoot.

--

HISTORYO

Time Detective and Multi Heritage Award Winner

March 19, 2018 at 3:24 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ron Historyo

The Rocco who wrestled bare footed was the original and not the one who wrestled here.

--

HISTORYO

Time Detective and Multi Heritage Award Winner

March 19, 2018 at 3:39 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Bernard Hughes

I seem to remember doing a write up about the original Antonino Rocca a while back when someone on this site thought that he saw the original           Rocca (I believe in Scotland) ,but we put him right.

--

March 19, 2018 at 6:22 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hack

Ron Historyo at March 19, 2018 at 3:24 PM

Looking through a few bills he morphed from Argentinian to Anglo Italian.

As an Anglo Italian he did some tag with Mike Marino.

I may have seen him but can't remember him.

One newspaper article says that he died age 49 in 1977 and also stated he wrestled barefoot.

It was the America who died in 1977 Ron.

What happened to our boy?

--

British wrestling - great characters but the plot was always a bit of a mystery.

March 19, 2018 at 6:25 PM Flag Quote & Reply

paul mitchell
Hack he was hurt on a sunday afternoon show at Wryton stadium ,dont think he did much after ,but I know someone who might know and ill phone him and ask.
March 19, 2018 at 6:47 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hack

Thanks Paul, I hope you hear something. Us sad old punters do like to find out what happened to our heroes.

--

March 23, 2018 at 10:23 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ed Lock

England's Antonio Rocca wrestled in Australia in 1970.

Rocca's main events Down Under were generally limited to tag team matches in which he would partner the likes of Spiros Arion and King Curtis Iaukea (both of whom, of course, wrestled in Great Britain).

March 25, 2018 at 12:54 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Hack

Iteresting Ed. And more so if Paul can find out more (with dates) from his mate.

--

March 25, 2018 at 4:59 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hack
Did you manage to find any more Paul?
--

April 10, 2018 at 4:16 PM Flag Quote & Reply

paul mitchell

Hack at April 10, 2018 at 4:16 PM

Did you manage to find any more Paul?

Hi Hack sorrry for the delay,the guy I wanted to speak to is hard to pin down,but eventually he confirmed that my memory was correct and Arthur Openshaw said he was working in Australia,cant confirmed he ever returned to uk.
April 15, 2018 at 9:51 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Hack

Not that I would ever doubt you Paul. Thanks for that. Arthur Openshaw has been discussed quite a bit over the years. Are you in contact with him?

--

April 15, 2018 at 6:54 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.