WRESTLING HERITAGE

British wrestling history 

has a name

Heritage

Forums

Forum Home > Talk Wrestling > John Lees

frank thomas
A wrestler whose name I never see coming up on the forums is the "Mr Universe" John Lees, from Stalybridge. Saw him live only a few times, didn't have a very exciting style, and appeared to be "gimmick free" he featured on one of the very first live shows I attended at Liverpool Stadium.. Thoughts or opinions anyone?
March 11, 2018 at 12:27 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ron Historyo

I know what you mean Frank. He had a very impressive body as he peeled his top off , big man and I would also say similar of John Kowalski , they fell a bit short of the standard of the top heavyweights. But of course you need a Roster and we can't all be Albert Wall. Another one I saw similar I thought was Kumali. Very big man but just short of that X Factor.

But you never know , there may have been fans out there who thought otherwise. That would be nice to hear.

--

HISTORYO

Time Detective and Multi Heritage Award Winner

March 11, 2018 at 12:35 PM Flag Quote & Reply

ballymoss

I agree with Frank. John Lees was certainly compentent and billed as a former Mr Universe, was obviously very strong. Sadly, he was a trifle lacking when it came to charisma and style,

--
March 11, 2018 at 12:38 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hack

Surprisingly I don't think I ever saw him live and remember him only from tv. Memories are just like those Frank and Ballymoss - a competent wrestler, looked good but didn't capture the imagination. AS Rons say, not everyone could be an Albert Wall and John Lees deserves much more than his meagre A-Z memories. So let's get some good memories together and see what we can do to boost his profile on Heritage.

--

British wrestling - great characters but the plot was always a bit of a mystery.

March 11, 2018 at 2:42 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Anglo Italian

That's funny that some of you didn't see him;  I saw him lots in the south. Got his autograph plenty of times, including in the Covermen of Wrestling.  So he featured on the cover of The Wrestler, June 1972 from memory.

Very credible and could carry a match through regardless of who the opponent was.  We saw him challenging for the British title.

I think he had quite a long career, maybe 17 years?

One little enigma:  he was in a televised bout against Zebra Kid in 1965.  Or rather the bill was filmed and we know most matches were shown.  In spite of what listings say, we will never know for sure whether this bout was aired and whether Zebra Kid was the second masked man on tv.

--

Still trying to work out what was going on!

March 11, 2018 at 2:54 PM Flag Quote & Reply

frank thomas

Ron Historyo at March 11, 2018 at 12:35 PM

I know what you mean Frank. He had a very impressive body as he peeled his top off , big man and I would also say similar of John Kowalski , they fell a bit short of the standard of the top heavyweights. But of course you need a Roster and we can't all be Albert Wall. Another one I saw similar I thought was Kumali. Very big man but just short of that X Factor.

But you never know , there may have been fans out there who thought otherwise. That would be nice to hear.

Strangely enough Ron, 're your reference to Albert Wall, he was John's opponent on the first time I saw him. A dour battle.
March 11, 2018 at 3:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ron Historyo

Well Frank they must have practiced years before and regular. I saw them and to put John over as the strong man he looked , they seemed to spend extra time locking up like a couple of Stags , more or less a stalemate.

Can't remember Lees having a finishing move except a pick up and slam and press.

Bet this one was years before you saw them and similar for myself.

--

HISTORYO

Time Detective and Multi Heritage Award Winner

March 11, 2018 at 5:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

frank thomas

Ron Historyo at March 11, 2018 at 5:20 PM

Well Frank they must have practiced years before and regular. I saw them and to put John over as the strong man he looked , they seemed to spend extra time locking up like a couple of Stags , more or less a stalemate.

Can't remember Lees having a finishing move except a pick up and slam and press.

Bet this one was years before you saw them and similar for myself.

Good few years before i would say Ron.. Strangely, another I can never recall seeing win a contest..
March 11, 2018 at 7:57 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hack
Is John Lees still alive? Anyone know his whereabouts?
--

British wrestling - great characters but the plot was always a bit of a mystery.

March 16, 2018 at 5:51 PM Flag Quote & Reply

paul mitchell
Yes Hack , A U L.
March 16, 2018 at 6:15 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hack
Thanks Paul.
--

March 16, 2018 at 7:19 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.