WRESTLING HERITAGE

British wrestling history 

has a name

Heritage

Forums

Forum Home > Talk Wrestling > BILL ANALYSIS late 1950's

Anglo Italian

We shouldn't read too much into it.  Not everyone in the chain knew their wrestling.  Someone was just told "Stick an ad in the paper."  Sloppy work, but not a sign of anything meaningful.

I'm sure the poster was more detailed.

I remember the nightly ads in the London Evening Standard and Evening News used to have great bills squashed into just three lines of type with the wrestlers' names, often without "v".  Just the names.  Just a hook.

Like you see an ad "2 weeks  in Majorca £600 all in."  It's a start.  You then get informed and look at the whole deal.

--

Still trying to work out what was going on!

April 11, 2018 at 11:29 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hack
The point is this add wasn't a hook. It would have meant something to the regulars but did nothing to hook potential fans. Come off it Anglo Italian. You know there are only two words for it - Not good enough.
--

British wrestling - great characters but the plot was always a bit of a mystery.

April 14, 2018 at 10:46 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Anglo Italian

Haha -- my favourite line!

--

April 14, 2018 at 2:50 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ron Historyo

And as for the Mask versus Sandy Orford at Glasgow in 1958 and 1959 I think we are stumped.

Was it a billing mistake ....did they mean the Black Mask (both times)

Or was there an Imposter 

--

HISTORYO

Time Detective and Multi Heritage Award Winner

April 14, 2018 at 4:16 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Anglo Italian

I prefer to believe there was no mistake, Ron.

There are too many oddities here, and they all centre around Sandy Orford and The Mask.

I think something was certainly afoot.  Your research has established this.  But quite what it was all about we just can't tell for certain, though we have made suggestions above.  This will probably be consigned to history as unresolved.

On the larger scale and particularly in the last year or so, we have discovered all sorts of trickery by the promoters that successfully hoodwinked us all years ago.  So this Sandy Orford scenario is in keeping with what the promoters got up to, in happy collusion with trusted wrestlers.

--

April 15, 2018 at 3:01 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ron Historyo

Interesting observation about this late fifties period is that Morrell had his masked men , Ghoul , Mask and Black Mask and seems to have had no need to borrow Bartelli from Wryton , confirmed really by Bernard never seeing Bartelli in a mask.

Of course Bartelli started out pre war as a lightweight and I speculate that he might not have fought the very biggest men during the 1950's , plenty of matches with Jim Hussey for example but then again how heavy was Jim in perhaps 1958.

Dare I suggest that all these masked men seemed to be avoiding one another (except when Orford fought without mask) or rather the promoters kept their charges apart.

Bartelli did go on to fight Zebra Kid in the 1960's , but where were all the Mask v Mask matches in the days of these fifties wrestlers. Yes Bernard saw Ghoul v Vampire , but any others ???

--

HISTORYO

April 15, 2018 at 11:57 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ron Historyo

And by introducing late 1950's Carlisle to the mix I now have another question.

Is the Black Mask the same as this guy or is this guy a real import.

--

HISTORYO

May 24, 2018 at 2:06 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hack

Can't be Ron. He's obviously foreign. :)

I see 1/- for the boys. Girls not expected?

This was 1958. same prices in Preston in the mid 1960s.

--

British wrestling - great characters but the plot was always a bit of a mystery.

May 24, 2018 at 4:40 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Anglo Italian

Would a Frenchman have made it all the way up to Carlisle without being sighted in London, Manchester or elsewhere on the way?  I bet he was a Scot ...

--

May 24, 2018 at 4:46 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Bernard Hughes

Hi Ron, I would say that Jim Hussey must have been between 15 and 16 stones in 1958.

I saw him in the middle 50's and I would judge him to be over 15 stone then.

Of course  a certain announcer would probably have said that he was 16 stones 8 and a half pounds at the weigh in today..

--

May 24, 2018 at 5:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.