WRESTLING HERITAGE

British wrestling history 

has a name

Heritage

Forums

Forum Home > Talk Wrestling > Foreign Objects

Paul

Back in the day this was a big deal, like swearing at a teacher. But with over use it has now lost its menacing effect. Anyone have any memories of wrestlers using foreign objects and what was the reacton?  I don't know when it started, but I remember Kendo Nagasaki throwing salt in an oponents eyes in the late 80's. I rememeber screaming at him and being quite angry along with many others. Kendo himself seem genuinely shocked by the ferocity of the crowd reaction. 

March 3, 2018 at 4:34 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Hack
Not sure about the foreign object bit. Masked Rasputin claimed the strength of four men, or some nonsense like that, following an horrific accident which not only left his face disfigured but the need for a glove on the hand of his now super strength arm. He would hit his opponent with the hand and the said opponent would die. We cried foul and use of a foreign object in the glove. Circa 1965.
--

British wrestling - great characters but the plot was always a bit of a mystery.

March 3, 2018 at 4:42 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Sapper James

I remember Haystacks trying to throttle Steve McHoy with a towel. That was in Whitby in 1982.

March 3, 2018 at 5:09 AM Flag Quote & Reply

powerlock
How about Alan Dennisons wrist bands in his heel phase or the Black Diamonds helmets
March 3, 2018 at 6:21 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Paul

The exorcist wore a loaded boot from time to time. 

March 3, 2018 at 6:42 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Les Prest
I remember Dr Death rubbing a piece of lint socked in liniment that he had hidden in front of his leotard, into the eyes of Jim Armstrong, and then throwing it out of the ring into the audience. And they went absolutely crazy. Dont know who the Dr Death was at the time (and it would'nt be right for me to tell you), but he certainly knew how to get the crowd wound up. 😈 regards Les.
--
March 3, 2018 at 7:36 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Hack
What about the original Undertaker and his coffin that he and his assistant would try to get the opponent into? Or Lord Bertie Topham? Never would a bout go by without an opponent clobbered by the silver tray. Now Les, what's this nonsense about it not being right to tell us the identity of DD? You're amongst friends here. You can tell us anything. We won't tell. Anyway everyone on the opposition ended up as Dr Death.
--

British wrestling - great characters but the plot was always a bit of a mystery.

March 3, 2018 at 8:10 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Bernard Hughes

Not quite a foreign object used by a wrestler ,but one used by a referee.

After Les Kellett had disqualified Sandy Orford for strangling Dai Sullivan and refusing to break the hold, Orford went to attack Kellett.

Bearing in mind the weight difference I thought that Les would slide out of the ring. 

Les had learned that the top of the red corner post would come off and he threatened Orford with it, waving  it in his hand.

Would he have used it if Orford had not backed off?

Probably !

--

March 3, 2018 at 9:21 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Les Prest
The Toffs tag team consisted of Karl Von Kramer and Butch Goodman, and they would use a tray to carry their water bottle on. Then ( yes you guessed it) whoever was stood on the outside of the ring would use the tray to wack their opponents over their heads if they got near the corner.😇.
--
March 3, 2018 at 9:56 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Les Prest
Hack : It could have been me who was D.D. I was' nt going to grass myself up was I ? Also I got wacked over my head several times at Scarborough when tagging with Eric Leiderman, it sounded worse than it was, in fact it did'nt hurt at all!!!
March 3, 2018 at 10:09 AM Flag Quote & Reply

frank thomas
Remember the Exorcist allegedly "drugging" Caswell Martin by "slipping" something into his water bottle. Even the ref, Emile Poilve, joined in the "fun" by confirming the water had "changed colour" the crowd, including me, were convinced! Older heads, like my Dad and his mates, nearly wet themselves laughing!
March 3, 2018 at 10:19 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Hack

Les Prest at March 3, 2018 at 10:09 AM

Hack : It could have been me who was D.D. I was' nt going to grass myself up was I ? Also I got wacked over my head several times at Scarborough when tagging with Eric Leiderman, it sounded worse than it was, in fact it did'nt hurt at all!!!

Superb Les. Great to have you with us. Now telling all didn't hurt did it? Well no more than that tray.
--

March 3, 2018 at 12:21 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hack

Les Prest at March 3, 2018 at 10:09 AM

Superb Les. Great to have you with us. Now telling all didn't hurt did it? Well no more than that tray.
--

March 3, 2018 at 12:21 PM Flag Quote & Reply

maskedmummy
The best for me is always the coin from the crowd trick Adrian Street described it in detail in one of his books
--
March 3, 2018 at 3:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

david franklin

Let's not forget my favourite "foreign object", Mike Bennett's wedding ring. A simple item but so cleverly used that it raised the crowd to a fever pitch.

March 4, 2018 at 4:04 AM Flag Quote & Reply

David Mantell

Paul at March 3, 2018 at 4:34 AM

Back in the day this was a big deal, like swearing at a teacher. But with over use it has now lost its menacing effect. Anyone have any memories of wrestlers using foreign objects and what was the reacton?  I don't know when it started, but I remember Kendo Nagasaki throwing salt in an oponents eyes in the late 80's. I rememeber screaming at him and being quite angry along with many others. Kendo himself seem genuinely shocked by the ferocity of the crowd reaction. 

There seens to have been a long gap between Kendo commencing using the salt purely for Shinto Shubatu ritual. (after he went to Canada in the early 70s) and commencing using it as a weapon (not long after the end of TV.)  

In America, real life Hawaian-born Tor Kamata aka Mr Moto was the first "Japanese" villian to use salt, both for Shubatu and as a weapon, cosely followed by a whole heap of other Hawaian "Japanese" such as Kenji Shibuya, Mitsu Arakawa and Professor Toru Tanaka, Americans of Japanese descent such as Harry "Mr Fuji" Fujiwara and even the odd authentic Japanese such as Masanori "Mr" Saito.

As it happens, in 1972 Kamata was involved in a back and forth feud over the Stampede North American title with Geoff Portz and lost it back to Portz on 2nd September 1972, just 21 days before Naggers bear Portz for the belt.  Kendo and Tor would have been in the territory together and would have seen each others' characters.

The big question is why Naggers then only initially did one part of the gimmick back home in Britiain?  Possibly Stu Hart wouldn't or couldn't let Kamata weaponise his salt at that point, so Kendo missed that part of the gimmick.  More likely, Max Crabtree agreed to a prematch Shubatu but was worried that throwing salt in peoples' eyes would upset the ITA as it then was.

What is clear is that in spring 1989 on late night ITV, the last episode of WWF Challenge, (billed as Superstars of Wrestling,) originally filmed circa June 1988, featured a six man tag pitting The Ultimate Warrior and former tag champions Strike Force against current tag champs Demolition and their manager Mr Fuji.  At the start of the match, Fuji performed Shubatu and midway through the match, he tried to blind Warrior with some spare salt only for Warrior to overpower him and bomb him with his own salt.  Fuji was carried back to the dressing room and the Demos fought on under handicap conditions before going down to Warrior and Strike Force.

Not very long after that was televised over here, Kendo was very definitely using the salt as a weapon on All Star shows.

March 4, 2018 at 6:58 AM Flag Quote & Reply

rasit huseyin

I remember Dave Duran had a spiked glove which e used from time to time, and that caused uproar.

March 4, 2018 at 7:02 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Anglo Italian

Mick McManus used to use something as obvious as his towel when starting a round.  He'd throw it over his opponents face.  Clearly illegal so it never led to a score, but fun antics.

I don't recall ever seeing him do this on tv.

--

Still trying to work out what was going on!

March 4, 2018 at 4:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Mad Mac

Anglo Italian at March 4, 2018 at 4:20 PM

Mick McManus used to use something as obvious as his towel when starting a round.  He'd throw it over his opponents face.  Clearly illegal so it never led to a score, but fun antics.

I saw that at least once on TV. Didn't Big D belt someone with the second's bucket once or twice?

March 4, 2018 at 5:24 PM Flag Quote & Reply

powerlock

Mad Mac at March 4, 2018 at 5:24 PM

Anglo Italian at March 4, 2018 at 4:20 PM

I saw that at least once on TV. Didn't Big D belt someone with the second's bucket once or twice?

Quite a few times especially on non televised shows
March 4, 2018 at 6:09 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.