WRESTLING HERITAGE

British wrestling history 

has a name

Heritage

Forums

Forum Home > Talk Wrestling > wrestling in a prison

Les Prest
Has anyone else in the wrestling fraternity ever wrestled in jail ? I myself have, in Northallerton prison. It was a charity show for the prisoners, organised by the deputy governor and an inmate called Barry Charles who refereed the show who I had wrestled several times on the outside (of prison that is) top of the bill was Johnny Peters V Fat boy Floyd Craggs, Les Prest V Sean McNeil and Steve Parfett V Ken Williams. It was certainly something different!!! regards Les P.
February 18, 2018 at 6:02 AM Flag Quote & Reply

powerlock
Was it a good crowd? Was the show well received with the inmates
February 18, 2018 at 7:38 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Les Prest
Yes it was powerock, there was plenty of cheering and a good and a good response from them. It was in the afternoon one saturday and after the show we were provided with a buffet tea by the inmates and it was a like a banquet, most memorable. also just for the information, Steve Parfett is Johnny Peters son. regards Les.
--
February 18, 2018 at 10:23 AM Flag Quote & Reply

frank thomas
Must have been an experience, not going to make any cracks about a "captive auduence" lol!
February 18, 2018 at 11:11 AM Flag Quote & Reply

powerlock

Les Prest at February 18, 2018 at 10:23 AM

Yes it was powerock, there was plenty of cheering and a good and a good response from them. It was in the afternoon one saturday and after the show we were provided with a buffet tea by the inmates and it was a like a banquet, most memorable. also just for the information, Steve Parfett is Johnny Peters son. regards Les.

Less is there anywhere else out of the ordinary where you wrestless? You should write a book
February 18, 2018 at 4:41 PM Flag Quote & Reply

powerlock
Les is there anywhere else out of the ordinary you wrestled? Sorry about above post bloody predictive text. I am working without pc at the moment
February 18, 2018 at 5:10 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Bernard Hughes

Congratulations Les on making what I think is your first stab a offering a subject for discussion.

Very interesting.

--

February 19, 2018 at 9:55 AM Flag Quote & Reply

paul mitchell
Great topic Les but worried at first that the title was wrestlers in jail,heard that both Strangeways and Walton had shows,never did one only two mental hospitals.
--
February 19, 2018 at 10:50 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ron Historyo

Popular in USA.

--

HISTORYO

Time Detective and Multi Heritage Award Winner

February 19, 2018 at 1:43 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hack
Interesting post Les. Just shows the parts wrestling reached. Did the inmates pay for entry? Or was the charitable part that it was put on as an entertainment for them? It's hard to imagine how it all worked.
--

British wrestling - great characters but the plot was always a bit of a mystery.

February 19, 2018 at 3:33 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Anglo Italian

There are a number of subjects we have never discussed in a focused way on here for various reasons - but certainly discussed face to face off-site.

In naming Barry Charles, Les breaks the silence on one such subject:   wrestlers who did time inside.   

Just how many of those absences on foreign tours were fronts for time behind bars?

--

Still trying to work out what was going on!

February 20, 2018 at 1:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ron Historyo

Here's your starter for ten. I wrote about Peter Bannon of Burnley who although an Alhambra age Pioneer who also did Australia came through to have a few bouts in the 1930's

http://www.wrestlingheritage.com/peterbannan

--

HISTORYO

February 20, 2018 at 1:58 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ron Historyo

Another one that springs to mind is Peter Rann , real name Peter Derek Ramm who for sure saw the inside of a jail cell. As a youth he escaped approved school 17 times.

James Morton  as a London Crime expert might be able to tell us more . 

--

HISTORYO

February 20, 2018 at 2:16 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Eddie Rose

paul mitchell at February 19, 2018 at 10:50 AM

Great topic Les but worried at first that the title was wrestlers in jail,heard that both Strangeways and Walton had shows,never did one only two mental hospitals.

Spot on Paul. Syd Vickers ran shows at a mental hospital near Blackburn: Brockhall? and also one near Holmes Chapel. Good enthusiastic crowd and Mark Wayne was invited back to one of the wards after his bout!!!
--

Wrestling Heritage Morrell Award Holder

February 20, 2018 at 2:26 PM Flag Quote & Reply

frank thomas

Ron Historyo at February 20, 2018 at 2:16 PM

Another one that springs to mind is Peter Rann , real name Peter Derek Ramm who for sure saw the inside of a jail cell. As a youth he escaped approved school 17 times.

James Morton  as a London Crime expert might be able to tell us more . 

Hi Ron, Peter Rann was a henchman of the 60s slum landlord, Peter Rachman, and by all accounts quite a "difficult" character so I've read!
February 20, 2018 at 5:39 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Les Prest
Hi boys, here is another character who served at her majesties pleasure, that was one of the wrestling midgets Fuzzy Ball Kaye and Im led to believe its mentioned in his book!!! regards Les
--
February 20, 2018 at 7:25 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Mark Reynard
What was security like getting in and out?
February 23, 2018 at 3:20 AM Flag Quote & Reply

james morton

Anglo Didn't you put a block on wrestlers in prison last year or the year before?  Anyway Fuzzy Kaye was friend of the Krays and his book is Muscleman of Soho. His real name was Royston Smith. As for Peter Rann he certainly worked for Rachman. On the Forum somewhere is the story that he jumped on a man's leg by request to break it and get him to the prison hosptal but whether he was on remand I do not know or even if it is true. I also beieve he was acquitted of stabbing a man. I'd never heard he was an escapee from an approved school Ron. On a different note I was told he was very partial to egg sandwiches and trained doing breakfalls on the concrete in Kensington Gardens .  His great mate who worked with him for Rachman was Vladimir Waldberg whose real name wwas Fred Rondel.  He certainly did long sentences and features in the House of Lords case Rondel v Worsley when he sued his barrister. All are long dead.  

February 23, 2018 at 4:51 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ron Historyo

james morton at February 23, 2018 at 4:51 AM

Anglo Didn't you put a block on wrestlers in prison last year or the year before?  Anyway Fuzzy Kaye was friend of the Krays and his book is Muscleman of Soho. His real name was Royston Smith. As for Peter Rann he certainly worked for Rachman. On the Forum somewhere is the story that he jumped on a man's leg by request to break it and get him to the prison hosptal but whether he was on remand I do not know or even if it is true. I also beieve he was acquitted of stabbing a man. I'd never heard he was an escapee from an approved school Ron. On a different note I was told he was very partial to egg sandwiches and trained doing breakfalls on the concrete in Kensington Gardens .  His great mate who worked with him for Rachman was Vladimir Waldberg whose real name wwas Fred Rondel.  He certainly did long sentences and features in the House of Lords case Rondel v Worsley when he sued his barrister. All are long dead.  

Sent you an email James with a newspaper cutting. For sure Prison and Approved schools were on his CV

--

HISTORYO

February 23, 2018 at 5:46 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Les Prest
Hi Mark: Northallerton prison was a category 'B' prison at the time, security was pretty tight going in but more tighter getting out. If it had been a category 'A' I dont think the wrestling would have been allowed, I mentioned that the deputy governor organised the show, that was due to the governor being off with stress and when he came back to work he went absolutely ballistic even sending a snotty letter to Johnny Peters about the whole affair. regards Les😈
February 23, 2018 at 6:20 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.