WRESTLING HERITAGE

British wrestling history 

has a name

Heritage

Forums

Forum Home > Talk Wrestling > Hospital Wrestling - Bishops stortford =HERTs

john 94

about 25 years of an evening i was at a Hospital in bishops stortford Herts- and it looked like to raise money for a health/welfare cause, some of the staff at said hospital were going to turn Wrestler for one night only - I cant remember the names of any of the Wrestling characters , but for sure I dont recall

doctot death , being advertised on the poster on the bill ! ticket prices 2 quid each - to a good cause !  from the winston churchill ward to Lord mountevans sanctioned British Wrestling , no need for greedy ITV show promtoters !

January 31, 2018 at 11:23 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Hack

Hello John 94, welcome to the forum. Thanks for making your first post. The first of many I hope. Well that's an interesting topic. I'm not sure where it might lead, but another sign of wrestling being used for a good cause. There's a good history of wrestling being used for charitable purposes. Lots of 1930s examples in the Year of Wrestling series, the wrestlers football team in the 1960s and charity shows, the biggest of which being the Royal Albert Hall shows with the Duke of Edinburgh.

--

British wrestling - great characters but the plot was always a bit of a mystery.

January 31, 2018 at 11:38 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Bernard Hughes

Hi Hack, During the 2 years that I was at St Lukes wrestling,who organized shows, we raise about £2000 for guide dogs for the blind.

--

January 31, 2018 at 5:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

powerlock
A fair sum at the time
January 31, 2018 at 5:24 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Philip Kenyon

Hi,

As mentioned in my introduction, I wrestled on a bill for the Miners Association in the North of England early sixties. The bouts were filmed and shown at Miners clubs all over the North. The proceeds were handed over for use at Miners convalescent homes.

Cheers

--

Mike Agusta (Phil Kenyon)

Wrestling Heritage D'Orazio Award Holder

Wrestling Heritage Vic Award Holder

Wrestling Heritage Pallo Snr. Award Holder

Heavy Middleweight belt Holder

Heritage Starr Award Holder
February 1, 2018 at 3:05 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Hack

Bernard Hughes at January 31, 2018 at 5:23 PM

Hi Hack, During the 2 years that I was at St Lukes wrestling,who organized shows, we raise about £2000 for guide dogs for the blind.

Thanks Bernard. Was there anyone else who we know that was at St Luke's when you were there. Was it at a time when Norman Walsh was involved or before that?
--

British wrestling - great characters but the plot was always a bit of a mystery.

February 2, 2018 at 8:12 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Les Prest
Hi Hack: Norman Walsh probably called in on St Lukes (Lukies or S.L.A.M.) several times over the years on the odd occasion, he appeared to never have forgotten his roots. Also other wrestlers from St Lukes that made it onto Joint Promotions was Ray Leslie, Tony Elsdon, Ian Gillmore & Ray Diamond. not to mention Dirty Dicky Swales & myself. For people that don't know but St Lukes was a mental hospital serving the mentally handicapped from the North East, equipped with padded cells & straight jackets etc. regards Presty.
--
February 3, 2018 at 6:51 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Hack
"St Lukes was a mental hospital" Are you trying to tell us something here Les?
--

February 3, 2018 at 7:13 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Les Prest
Yes Hack, my wrestling gown was a modified straight jacket!!! 😂. best regards Presty.
--
February 10, 2018 at 9:20 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Les Prest
Yes Hack, my wrestling gown was a modified straight jacket!!! 😂. best regards Presty.
--
February 10, 2018 at 9:20 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.