WRESTLING HERITAGE

British wrestling history 

has a name

Heritage

Forums

Forum Home > Talk Wrestling > Nagasaki's best opponent

paul mitchell
I hesitate to start this thread,don't want to ruin matey Dave's day,I'm interested who fans thought Kendos best opponent for skill excitement and heat. I have a top five ill give 2345 and gurantee my top spot wont be guessed but then again knowledge on here amazes me so I might be wrong. Very much based on opinions. Number 5 mike Marino number4 Albert Wall number 3Gwynn Davies number 2 Billy Howes.looking forward to your thoughts
January 31, 2018 at 7:12 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Stephen
Hi Paul. Wouldn¬?t disagree with Wall Davies or Howes. From what I saw I¬?d add Mal Kirk and Bruno Elrington into the mix. Saw Nagasaki v Elrington in Worthing once when I was a second. It was a cracking contest. In fairness I¬?d add an honourable mention to Steve Veidor who also featured often v Nagasaki on the south coast and the crowd seemed to love that match up too
January 31, 2018 at 7:52 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Hack

The best match I saw with Nagasaki was against Albert Wall, so would go with him. Billy Howes was also an unpredictable opponents. Would have loved to see Nagasaki against Robinson.

--

British wrestling - great characters but the plot was always a bit of a mystery.

January 31, 2018 at 9:38 AM Flag Quote & Reply

frank thomas
Definitely Albert Wall, but also Gwyn Davies along with Pat Roach were among the best I saw Kendo face. Only saw him face Bill Howes once, and was disappointed, early finish with a straight fingered jab to the throat ended it in Kendos favour..
January 31, 2018 at 10:39 AM Flag Quote & Reply

SaxonWolf

In later years, Mark Rocco.  Early years, all the guys mentioned above and seem to recall a good match against Steve Veidor.

January 31, 2018 at 11:57 AM Flag Quote & Reply

John
I only started watching wrestling in 1977 but in those times I thought that Marty Jones was a very good opponent for Kendo, as he looked good enough to possibly beat him.
--

Heavy-Middleweight Championship Belt Holder

January 31, 2018 at 12:04 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ron Historyo

Firstly , what a great idea for a thread and thanks to Paul for his opinion , always interested.

As I have said before , I followed a peak Kendo pretty far and despite seeing him live dozens of times I could name you so many wrestlers that I did not see him fight that I would pay today just to see footage.

However that is not the question. The other problem , is that what I saw was unbalanced as I saw him have multiple fights with the same opponent. Some were great bouts , then I saw them work a shocker.

In the main I hated him fighting lighter men.

So to answer the question I have to pick a particular bout to name his greatest matches for me.

The fantastic TV bout with Billy Howes tugging at his mask ( I think 1971) was repeated two or three times at Belle Vue including a Judo jacket match. These bouts with Howes were fantastic. However I note Frank Thomas's disappointment at an inferior effort. That's the problem.

I went to Winsford the night Kendo beat Crabtree and almost sure it was their first ever meeting.

Fantastic bout , should have lasted a bit longer but violent and decisive decision to Kendo. A poor small Hall did not spoil the occasion. I saw them in a shocker at Blackpool.

A peak Mucky Mal Kirk at Wryton , Bolton was the pick maybe of all with the place roaring. Well enacted with Kendo getting out of jail with two racks after a Kirk upside down bear hug had kendo almost beat.

Here is the strange thing , I went to Belle Vue 100 plus times. Apart from Bill Howes bouts , I enjoyed most of them but just cannot recall any particular highlight. Just one final thing though , unmasking the White Angel and fighting Masambula were awful. I want my money back.

--

HISTORYO

Time Detective and Multi Heritage Award Winner

January 31, 2018 at 1:39 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hack
A superb reply from Ron, who must be our Nagasaki expert. Though I think Paul Kaye could give you a run for your money. Paul is a modest Kendo aficiando who keeps his light under a bushel. Anyway Ron, these Howes matches. Did the mask come off in any of them? It's strange how a match could be repeated. One night fireworks and the next a dud.
--

British wrestling - great characters but the plot was always a bit of a mystery.

January 31, 2018 at 3:09 PM Flag Quote & Reply

David Mantell

The bouts with Lee Bronson, Pete Roberts and Rex Strong were all good solid scientific bouts for the first round or so.

Kendo vs Rocco was all about dark ultraviolence and pushing audiences beyond the snapping point.

Would really have liked to see  Kendo vs Johnny Saint in a catchweight match.  There's a very good tag match pitting Kendo and Dave Duran against Saint and Mickey Gold from 1993: Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETmVYbxPPuA Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cA2ZVyxmZfY ;

Had a rather wierd discussion about this match with someone on FB recently -  There's a great bit in that match at 3:48 of Part 2 where Kendo takes quite a considerable bump selling Saint's monkey climb.  A few minutes later at 8:02, Saint dropkicks Kendo clean out of the ring.  Anyway, the other half of the conversation (not a Naggers fan) insisted that by 1993 there was NO WAY Kendo would have been taking bumps and that even an older tag partner like Ian Wilson (who tagged with Kendo in Jan '93) would have to take all the bumps.  So I posted that video timelinked to just where the monkey cliimb occurred to point out that Kendo COULD AND WOULD take bumps in '93.  I initially got the silent treatment and then a throwing of toys from the pram from the other party.  Hmmm, some Kendo haters will just bury their heads in the sand like ostriches  rather than acknowledge hard (video) evidence that contradicts their bitchy fantasies.  Sad really ...

January 31, 2018 at 3:18 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tom

I saw him against Albert Wall. Rocky Wall did not seem to try too hard to win.  Same could be said for Mal Kirk.  Wall won by a disqualification as Kendo could not be seen to be really beaten and neither could Wall as he was the champion.  I am sure that Wall would have won "properly" had he been allowed to do so by the promoters.

January 31, 2018 at 5:38 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ron Historyo

Back in the early seventies you were lucky if you got a good shot of half of Kendo's face. That was all they were giving away.

When Shirley came there was the quick run from the ring that spoilt so many matches and I agree with the Albert Wall comment by Tom , I got them on the wrong night.

But seeing half of Kendo's face added to the excitement and at that stage we were not fully convinced yet that he was English.

Another good opponent was actually Haystacks who looked almost out on his feet taking a pounding in a corner , but Pat Roach did that one even better.

Circa 1972 it would have been ridiculous for Nagasaki to be in a ring with Rocco or Jones or McManus and Logan. They were all way too light and small for it to look effective. 

As the years went by though Kendo went slower and younger guys became veterans and heavier.

Another decent scrap was Kendo and Bartelli without mask. A good one ebbed and flowed before Bartelli finally made the crucial mistake as was often the case with Howes.

Happy days

--

HISTORYO

January 31, 2018 at 7:29 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Anglo Italian

Nagasaki was invariably in great bouts so all names count.  HGe also had such a gimmick that brought the best out of his opponents.

Ane we know he wasn't a lazy worker so they all had to be on their toes.

Johnny Kincaid does a great job in the tv bout and wrestled Nagasaki heaps of times, also for the WWF title.

Yes to Bruno, yes to Viedor, definitely Pat Roach - and don't negelct Tibor who suffered so beautifully,

Rex Strong, another good call above.

I suppose to limit the list you'd have to consider only opponents who'd take the Kamikaze Roll.

Have we hit your Number One, Paul?

--

Still trying to work out what was going on!

February 1, 2018 at 6:36 PM Flag Quote & Reply

paul mitchell
Nope
February 1, 2018 at 7:21 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Bill Smith

Jimmy Greaves?

February 1, 2018 at 7:50 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hack
One memorable Nagasaki match I saw was at Preston against Steve Clements.It was just after Clements returned from Mexico and his weight must have gone up to 14 or 15 stones. You would have thought Steve would have been outclassed. Unfortunately he was. A ko for Kendo with a bloodied Clements laid out centre ring. The whole match looked real and violent.
--

February 2, 2018 at 5:07 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ron Historyo

paul mitchell at February 1, 2018 at 7:21 PM

Nope

Paul , you are a Salford lad , I think I can remember a couple who worked bouts where they got stuck into Naggers.

Peter Stewart and Les Thornton.

--

HISTORYO

February 2, 2018 at 5:54 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Anglo Italian

I'm a Salford lad, Ron!

You enter the area of what the other guys really thought about Nagasaki ...and that transcends professional wrestling.

If you thought it was real, that's great, Ron.

But it wasn't.  

Just great work.

--

February 2, 2018 at 8:24 AM Flag Quote & Reply

paul mitchell
Good shout there rob Peter was fast and skillfull but not as hard hitting as Les both great lads, ill not give reasons yet why iv chosen top five.regarding Billy. Howes unpredictable was an understatement and theres more mystery about Billy than Nagasaki could ever dream up.i have total respect for Bartelli but his bouts not including the Hanley one weren't great in my opion because at that late stage Geoff developed the shal I punch him playing to the gallery that I knew from talking to regular fans didn't appreciate . Clue to my number one he was northern based.
February 2, 2018 at 8:31 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Anglo Italian

You do surprise me, Paul!

--

February 2, 2018 at 9:01 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Anglo Italian

Lee Sharron, then,  A very generous worker.

--

February 2, 2018 at 9:02 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.