WRESTLING HERITAGE

British wrestling history 

has a name

Heritage

Forums

Forum Home > Talk Wrestling > How many matches

Jacko

When I watched wrestling there were always four matches, and if there waa a tag match that would be last.

I've seen mention of 5 match shows. What happened in most places? Were 5 matches better value or did the shows end at the same time?

January 3, 2018 at 11:17 AM Flag Quote & Reply

powerlock
Depends if you wanted quality over quantity. I would always prefer a good 4 bout bill over an average 5 bout bill, there was always exceptions but as long as the show was good it didn't really matter and generally the shows would finish around the same time
January 3, 2018 at 2:43 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Anglo Italian

It was all about money.

The Albert Hall had six or seven bouts but the prices were astronomical.

Croydon and Bristol and other places had five bouts and cost.

Normal bills had four bouts and you could get in for under 10 bob until D-Day.

--

Still trying to work out what was going on!

January 3, 2018 at 3:16 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Bernard Hughes

That's pretty modern Anglo.

At Newcastle we got 4 good quality matches for 2 shillings, that's 10p in new money in the 50's.

--

January 4, 2018 at 10:21 AM Flag Quote & Reply

frank thomas
At Liverpool stadium good Friday and the last Friday before Christmas always featured "five bout extravaganzas"
January 4, 2018 at 2:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

james morton

I have a poster from Leeds Town Hall in 1950 which is not billed being something special and is a 5 contest bill. A sideline but did the workers get paid more if it was a major promotion ie Leeds, Newcastle rather than a lesser hall?

January 4, 2018 at 4:53 PM Flag Quote & Reply

David Mantell

All Star  generally did and still does five match shows with the interval between bouts 3 and 4.

January 4, 2018 at 7:58 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Anglo Italian

So taking James's Leeds bill as an example:  were the admission prices higher than usual on that occasion (to pay for the extra bout)?

--

Still trying to work out what was going on!

January 5, 2018 at 3:02 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Dave Sutherland

Lucky Bernard; it had rocketed to 2/6d when I started going to St James' and still just 4 bouts.

--

Wrestling Heritage Walton Award

Wrestling Heritage Starr Award

January 5, 2018 at 3:10 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ron Historyo

Dave Sutherland at January 5, 2018 at 3:10 AM

Lucky Bernard; it had rocketed to 2/6d when I started going to St James' and still just 4 bouts.

I notice the cheapest at Belle Vue was two shillings and ninepence through the 1950's and went up to three shillings in 1958.

--

HISTORYO

Time Detective and Multi Heritage Award Winner

January 5, 2018 at 3:15 AM Flag Quote & Reply

james morton

At the June 1950 Leeds show all seats were bookable and ranged from 2/6d to 10/6d,  My recollection is that five years or so later the top price at Morecambe was 7/6d 

January 5, 2018 at 3:31 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Hack
Almost alays four matches, occasionally five. I don't recall five matches being better, though I suppose there must have been a feeling of getting something extra. Only once do I recall the price being increased for a special show, but it was very good indeed.
--

British wrestling - great characters but the plot was always a bit of a mystery.

January 5, 2018 at 5:44 AM Flag Quote & Reply

JNLister

james morton at January 4, 2018 at 4:53 PM

I have a poster from Leeds Town Hall in 1950 which is not billed being something special and is a 5 contest bill. A sideline but did the workers get paid more if it was a major promotion ie Leeds, Newcastle rather than a lesser hall?

Exceptions to every rule of course, but the most common set-up was that you got a flat rate per show (negotiated based on stature/experience) regardless of the venue, except when the match was on TV in which case you got a bonus. (Johnny Kincaid mentioned everyone got a bit extra at Colston Hall but wasn't sure why.)

One possible reason for this, particularly in the peak of the TV era, was that top stars could be just as valuable to promoters working in smaller venues as they were in big ones. Jackie Pallo vs Joe Bloggs at Belle Vue might not make that much difference to the weekly crowd, whereas Pallo appearing at a one-off show in Oxdown Drill Hall could bring in several hundred extra people who came specifically to see a TV star.

January 7, 2018 at 9:57 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jacko

Thank you for your replies. It sounds like five matches weren't necessarily better; just depended on the quality of the fights. That's an interesting point from JN Lister about big names being more valuable in the small halls.

January 13, 2018 at 10:52 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Mark Reynard

In Southport Wryton Promotions always put on four matches. I don't remember any more.

January 13, 2018 at 5:47 PM Flag Quote & Reply

The 1978 Kid
I loved those occasions at Liverpool Stadium in 1978 and 1979 when Brian Dixon ran one night 8 man ko tournaments for the vacant World Middleweight title. We got 7 matches and the show started promptly at 7.45 rather than the usual late start at about 7.59! The shows ran till after 10pm and it felt great value, especially with what we felt was an important title at stake
January 14, 2018 at 12:57 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hack

Magic 1978 Kid.

I remember the late starts well. Not at Liverpool Stadium which remained an unfulfilled dream for me. Shows started late and finished at 9.45 pm. But we never sussed it out.

I've mentioned before the night at Digbeth when Bartelli met Maruti Vadar. Lew Phillips reported to be enjoying himself in the bar at the interval and a 15 round draw still to come meant fans complaining they missed the last bus home.

Mind you, they did have night buses in Birmingham. Something I found incredulous after moving there from Leyland.

--

British wrestling - great characters but the plot was always a bit of a mystery.

January 14, 2018 at 3:38 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Philip Kenyon

In my days the norm was 4 matches per show, however now and again there were 5 per show as shown in wrestlers A - Z (Mike Agusta).

Cheers

--

Mike Agusta (Phil Kenyon)

Wrestling Heritage D'Orazio Award Holder

Wrestling Heritage Vic Award Holder

Wrestling Heritage Pallo Snr. Award Holder

Heavy Middleweight belt Holder

Heritage Starr Award Holder
January 15, 2018 at 5:52 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Fred
In my experience as a spectator main event match came on 3rd of a 4 billed night
January 16, 2018 at 12:21 PM Flag Quote & Reply

PETER

Fred at January 16, 2018 at 12:21 PM

In my experience as a spectator main event match came on 3rd of a 4 billed night

Yes,a big difference with 2018.Now the main event is always the final match but some promotions now have a first half main event which can be better than the main event itself!    

February 13, 2018 at 10:53 AM Flag Quote & Reply

This topic is closed, no additional posts are allowed.