WRESTLING HERITAGE

British wrestling history 

has a name

Heritage

Forums

Forum Home > Talk Wrestling > Rocky Wall, R.I.P.

The Riot Squad
Site Owner

Cyanide Colin writes

Very sad news. A little before my time but I did know of him and had seen various photos.

--

British wrestling history has a name - HERITAGE

January 2, 2018 at 3:50 PM Flag Quote & Reply

The Riot Squad
Site Owner

Big Baz writes

sad news indeed.

--

January 2, 2018 at 3:50 PM Flag Quote & Reply

steve

I saw Albert wrestle many times at Doncaster Corn Exchange and later at the Racecourse Complex. A great champion, always gave value for money. After he retired I was priveliged to get to know him during the time he worked for the Court Service. RIP Albert

January 2, 2018 at 4:30 PM Flag Quote & Reply

BillQ
Another wrestling great moves on. Lots of memories of watching Albert Wall at the old Liverpool Stadium in the late 1960's early 70's. The signature 'Flying Head-butt' and lots of other great moves. RIP
January 2, 2018 at 5:16 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Brian Nolan

My sincere condolences to both you Gary, and your brothers.It was a priviledge to have Known and wrestled your dad,,i had the utmost respect for him.May he rest in peace. Max Raeger.

--
January 2, 2018 at 7:01 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Mark Reynard

I was shocked to hear this news. Rocky was one of those wrestlers who made it all look so real. Some great matches with Gwyn Davies, Dennis Mitchell and Steve Veidor. The last of the great British heavyweight champions.

January 3, 2018 at 9:17 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jacko

I agree Rocky was at least one of the last great champions, though Gwyn Davies was good too. Tony St Clair was a good wrestler but didn't seem as beievable as champ.

RIP Rocky

January 3, 2018 at 11:00 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Anglo Italian

Tony St Clair was COMPLETELY believable as champ, a great pedigree and skills that spoke for themselves.  He took the BHC to new levels.

We all have to, had to, move with the times.

It would be good to hear from Kendo Nagasaki with the passing of these two great champions.  The credibility of his late sixties showings against Albert and Gwyn set Nagasaki on the road to tv exposure and status.

--

Still trying to work out what was going on!

January 3, 2018 at 3:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

johnmac2007UK

RIP - Abert "Rocky Wall. - "I Dont Know What Happened But Above When I Wrote My Memories Of Albert, As A St James Hall Fan, It Never Came Out When I Posted It, So I Will Try Again"

In The Mid 50's To 60's I Always Looked Forward To My Visits To St James Hall, Newcastle, Where Albert "Rocky" Wall Was Always A Regular.

He was one of the true Wrestling Legends of his time, a big powerfull "Hard Man" I witnessed on many occassions when Albert & Gywnn Davies wrestled, they were always classics, (2 Legends Together), you always got your monies worth on those nights. I am saddened to here of Alberts passing, as he was part of my life, as I was an avid fan of Wrestling. Those guys then, were just ordinary working blokes, wrestling for the love of the sport, no need for flasing lights/pyrotechnics or prematch hype. They came to the venue and did their job "Wrestle" - We Have Had Lots Of Great Wrestlers, Over The Years, Especially In That Era. But Albert "Rocky" Wall, he stood out a True Legend Of Brithish Wrestling.

RIP Albert "Rocky" Wall.

--

John Mac.

Tyne & Wear.

Pallo Jnr Award “Holder of a Middleweight Belt”

D'Orazio Award for signing the Guest Book.

January 5, 2018 at 3:43 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Hack
That's a lovely tribute John. Thanks for taking the time to re post it.
--

British wrestling - great characters but the plot was always a bit of a mystery.

January 5, 2018 at 5:47 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Dave Sutherland

Speaking of St James’, Newcastle; one night my mate Alan Patchett and I were waiting outside the Hall prior to it being time to get started working on the ice cream trays while some blowhard was attempting to impress us with his knowledge of wrestling. On this occasion he was informing us of which wrestler was related to whom and one of his affirmations was that Albert Wall and Bruno Elrington were related. While I discounted that idea immediately Patchett was not entirely unconvinced thinking that there might be some credibility in our informant’s statement. However our opportunity arose a couple of weeks later when Albert was on the bill at St James’. We were once again taking the air outside the Hall when Albert, plus a couple more of that night’s wrestlers arrived together and were about to enter the building when Patchett called “Rocky, are you any relation to Bruno Elrington?” this caused some amusement among the other wrestlers around him but Albert remained silent for a moment or two before replying “Yes, he’s my Father”……………………..more laughter.

--

Wrestling Heritage Walton Award

Wrestling Heritage Starr Award

January 5, 2018 at 8:12 AM Flag Quote & Reply

johnmac2007UK

Hack at January 5, 2018 at 5:47 AM

That's a lovely tribute John. Thanks for taking the time to re post it.

Cheers Hack - "A Lovely Tribute For A Great Man & True Legend"

--

John Mac.

Tyne & Wear.

January 5, 2018 at 10:01 AM Flag Quote & Reply

johnmac2007UK

Dave Sutherland at January 5, 2018 at 8:12 AM

Speaking of St James’, Newcastle; one night my mate Alan Patchett and I were waiting outside the Hall prior to it being time to get started working on the ice cream trays while some blowhard was attempting to impress us with his knowledge of wrestling. On this occasion he was informing us of which wrestler was related to whom and one of his affirmations was that Albert Wall and Bruno Elrington were related. While I discounted that idea immediately Patchett was not entirely unconvinced thinking that there might be some credibility in our informant’s statement. However our opportunity arose a couple of weeks later when Albert was on the bill at St James’. We were once again taking the air outside the Hall when Albert, plus a couple more of that night’s wrestlers arrived together and were about to enter the building when Patchett called “Rocky, are you any relation to Bruno Elrington?” this caused some amusement among the other wrestlers around him but Albert remained silent for a moment or two before replying “Yes, he’s my Father”……………………..more laughter.

Hi Dave - I remember a guy that also "attempted to impress us with his knowledge of Wrestling" - He was called Barry, always wore a blazer & tie.

If it's the same one he told us how Bert & Vic were his cousins.

But we never seen any personal interaction between them.

This May Be The Same Guy OR Not.

--

John Mac.

Tyne & Wear.

January 5, 2018 at 10:07 AM Flag Quote & Reply

robert kirkwood
My condolances to Albert,s family,always a gentleman---sad times this year Bob Kirkwood
--
January 5, 2018 at 2:41 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Gary Wall

Good Evening All,

On behalf of myself and my two brothers, I would like to thank you all for your kind words of support towards us, together with the vast amount of kind words said about our father. It gives us great comfort to know that he was loved by his fellow wrestlers and supporters alike, not just by us. I could go on for hours recalling names , places, times that I remember during our dads wrestling years. So please If anyone wishes to attend the funeral and listen to me for an hour or two please do so. You do not require an invitation. 

Best wishes

Gary Wall

January 6, 2018 at 6:28 PM Flag Quote & Reply

The Riot Squad
Site Owner

Colin Joynson

So sad to hear about the death of one of the best heavyweights, a true champ. Spent many good times with Albert, a true gent.

Colin Joynson.

--

January 7, 2018 at 12:16 PM Flag Quote & Reply

The Riot Squad
Site Owner

Staal du Plessis:

Sorry to hear about the passing of a wrestling giant Albert Wall. Well liked in South Africa. R.I.P.

Staal du Plessis.

--

January 7, 2018 at 12:19 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Neil Kemp
I was shocked at this sad news. I saw him many times in my early wrestling years. If Albert was on the bill, I always made an effort to go watch him. No messing around - just straight-forward wrestling. R. I. P. my friend.
--
January 8, 2018 at 6:36 AM Flag Quote & Reply

rockywall@hotmail.co.uk

The Riot Squad at January 7, 2018 at 12:19 PM

Staal du Plessis:

Sorry to hear about the passing of a wrestling giant Albert Wall. Well liked in South Africa. R.I.P.

Staal du Plessis.

hi Staal nice to here from you. i have just uploaded a photo to my profile which i found in dads stuff. i'm guessing that could be you with him and John Cox? i believe John is going to be saying a few words at dads funeral.                                                                                                                                   best wishes                                                                                                                                                                                                                            David Wall 

--

Dave Wall

January 8, 2018 at 4:53 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Gary Wall

All

I have created an Album with a few photos from dads collection.

NB The date on the programme regarding the bout with Gwynn may cast doubts on some of the dates being bandied about.

January 9, 2018 at 8:09 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.