WRESTLING HERITAGE

British wrestling history 

has a name

Heritage

Forums

Forum Home > Talk Wrestling > women wrestlers

james morton

Ron and others. You have beaten me to the post. I have been thinking we have been neglectng the women wrestlers.  There are few in the A-Z but do we know what happened to the many others? What, for example,  about Rusty Blair? I do like the potential Countess Bartelli!

Didn't I read in the 1960s there was mixed-tag on Indy promotions in the Midlands? 

December 31, 2017 at 11:29 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ron Historyo

Great idea to get this down in Writing James. Forgetting attempts in the 1930's Ladies Wrestling really did have to be rebuilt in the 1960's especially in London where a ban went on the longest.

The first batch that I can find on my bills crop up about 1965. So the sixties girls we have are. Mitzi Mueller , Lorita Loren , Nancy Barton , Pattie McGowen , Judy Starr , Yvonne Willetts , Kathy Kay , Pauline Ash , Helen Bartelli , Shirley Southern , Cindy Stephens , Anita Cortez.

Maybe someone can add who came along next in the 1970's.

Great care is needed as some of these girls did a bit of name swapping.

--

HISTORYO

Time Detective and Multi Heritage Award Winner

December 31, 2017 at 11:43 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Bill Smith

Don't forget the "outstanding" Viv Martell.I believe she was from a wrestling family.

December 31, 2017 at 4:36 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hack

The ladies are certainly an omission. This was planned back in 2007 because neither Anglo Italian or myself had enough memories or knowledge to do them justice. Since then the site has developed and their omission can no longer be justified. But our knowledge is no greater so this will need a team effort boys and girls.

Use this thread to add memories and knowledge so that eventually we can celebrate our ladies of wrestling.

Here's my initial contribution:

Naughty Nancy Barton

"The Wildcat of the Mat" was certainly wrestling by 1965, a frequent opponent of Mitzi Mueller. Naughty Nancy was not Ann Barton (as had been planned) but a friend of Ann's who took over when Ann was overcome by nerves. As I have found Lolita wrestling nancy in February 1965 it would seem reasonable to assume both were working as early as 1964,

Lolita Loren

The original Lolita was Ann Barton, wrestling as early as 1965. As I have found Lolita wrestling nancy in February 1965 it would seem reasonable to assume both were working as early as 1964,

Mitzi Mueller

Mitzi, The Kinky Blonde, was certainly wrestling by 1965, a frequent opponent of Naughty Nancy Barton. Was already being billed as British champion in 1965.

Pauline Ash

Wrestling as early as 1965. According to The Stage magazine she was blonde and from Halifax.

Yvonne Willetts

Was wrestling by 1965

Kathy Kay

Wrestling by 1966

Helen Bartelli

Wrestling as early as 1965

Shirley Southern

Judy Starr

Pattie McGowan

Wrestling by 1966

Hellcat Haggerty

Was certainly wrestling by 1971

Viv Martell

Wrestling by 1972

Klondyke Kate

I saw Kate in the summer of 1974 or 1975, so I guess this would be Cassidy's daughter and not Jane.

Pussy Galore

Wrestling in 1977, in Scotland

Miss Portugal

Paula Valdez

Wrestling in 1977

--

British wrestling - great characters but the plot was always a bit of a mystery.

December 31, 2017 at 6:45 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ron Historyo

Here is my list of who I found in the 1970's and of course some could have been about earlier.

Haggetty's daughter , Viv Martell , Pussy Galore , Miss Portugal , Katrina , Suzy Parkins , Molly Malone , Paula Valdez , Klondyke Kate , Rusty/Lena Blair , Susan Sexton , Miss Cheeta ,Blackfoot Sioux/Miss Linda , Miss barbarella , Gypsy Princess, Cherokee Princess.

In the 1980's I began to pick up..... Catwoman , Big Momma , Coleen O'Hara, Donna Marie ,Teenage Tracy , Naughty Nickie , Dynamite Debbie , Miss Spitfire.

--

HISTORYO

January 1, 2018 at 4:28 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Hack

Was there a connection between Haggettys Daughter and Hellcat Haggerty I wonder?

--

British wrestling - great characters but the plot was always a bit of a mystery.

January 1, 2018 at 6:36 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Bernard Hughes

I don't know much about woman wrestlers, never saw them.

However in this neck of the woods, we do have Ricky Knight's wife, better known as Sweet Saraya and his daughter now wrestling in the States as Paige.

--

January 1, 2018 at 9:37 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Hack

I've just had a look through some Ringsport mags, my collection only starts in March 1970. I was surprised how little there was, almost nothing.

Other than a few photos of American female wrestlers the first reference is in February, 1973. In Midland Miscellany Charles Street (a pseudonym of Jack Taylor I was once told) refers to Dirty Diana rawling from Yorkshire, Sue Brittain of Leeds, and Susy Parkins from Norfolk.

The following month, March 1973, there's short articles and photos of Susie Parkins and Lady Caroline, with Caroline in a match against Sugar Pie Harlem. It was said that Lady caroline had retured in 1968 to start a family.

In April, 1973 Charles Street again writes an article on Girl Grappling, referring to Nola Goldsmith, who had also retired in 1968 to have a baby, Hellcat Haggerty (he describes her as "All woman") and Gerry Jansen. The author says that the lack of co-operation between independent promoters results in a lack of fulfilled potential in matching the female wrestlers.

Nothing more until February, 1974 when there are photographs and short write ups about Viv Martell and Cherokee Sioux.

No more references until I ended my subscription in April 1974.

Still, a few more names to add to our list.

--

January 1, 2018 at 10:30 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Hack

Here's an updated list

Pauline Ash

Wrestling as early as 1965. According to The Stage magazine she was blonde and from Halifax.

Barbarella

1970s

Helen Bartelli

Naughty Nancy Barton

"The Wildcat of the Mat" was certainly wrestling by 1965, a frequent opponent of Mitzi Mueller. Naughty Nancy was not Ann Barton (as had been planned) but a friend of Ann's who took over when Ann was overcome by nerves. As I have found Lolita wrestling nancy in February 1965 it would seem reasonable to assume both were working as early as 1964.

Big Momma

1980s

Blackfoot Sioux/Miss Linda

1970s

Rusty/Lena Blair

1970s

Sue Brittain

Mentioned in Ringsport in 1973, from Leeds

Lady Caroline

Mentioned in Ringsport with a short article and photo in March 1973. It was said that Lady Caroline had retired in 1968 to start a family.

Catwoman

1980s

Miss Cheeta

1970s

Cherokee Princess

1970s

Dynamite Debbie

1980s

Pussy Galore

Nola Goldsmith

Mentioned in Rigsport, April, 1973, reportedly retired in 1968 to have a baby

Hellcat Haggerty

Was certainly wrestling by 1971, and mentioned in Ringsport April,1973

Haggetty's Daughter

1970s. Any connection with Hellcat Haggetty?

Gerry Jansen

Mentioned in Ringsport in April, 1973, with photo.

Coleen O'Hara

1980s

Donna Marie

1980s

Gypsy Princess

1970s

Klondyke Kate

I saw Kate in the summer of 1974 or 1975, so I guess this would be Cassidy's daughter and not Jane.

Katrina

1970s

Kathy Kay

Wrestling by 1966

Lolita Loren

The original Lolita was Ann Barton, wrestling as early as 1965. As I have found Lolita wrestling nancy in February 1965 it would seem reasonable to assume both were working as early as 1964. 

Molly Malone

1970s

Jackie McCann

1980s

Naughty Nickie

1980s

Viv Martell

Wrestling by 1972, photo and short article in Ringsport in February 1974

Pattie McGowan

Wrestling by 1966

Mitzi Mueller

Mitzi, The Kinky Blonde, was certainly wrestling by 1965, a frequent opponent of Naughty Nancy Barton. Was already being billed as British champion in 1965.

Susy Parkins

Mentioned in Ringsport with a short article and photo in March 1973, from Norfolk

Miss Portugal

Dirty Diana Rawling

Mentioned in Ringsport in 1973, from Yorkshire

Susan Sexton

1970s

Cherokee Sioux

Photo and short article in Ringsport in February 1974

Shirley Southern

Miss Spitfire.

1980s

Judy Starr

Teenage Tracy

1980s

Paula Valdez

Wrestling in 1977

Yvonne Willetts

Was wrestling by 1965

Of course, at the moment we've only got as far as making lists, which is a good start. But we do need memories and knowledge, so do help us develop this if you can

--

January 1, 2018 at 11:34 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ron Historyo

What I will do to do this some justice is to make a gallery of bills that mention each wrestler.

Any real names for any of the girls could be put against each bill in the comments until such time they could be in an A-Z

The tricky thing is that in some cases there have been originals and the batton has been passed as in the case of Klondyke Kate.

--

HISTORYO

January 1, 2018 at 11:35 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Hack

Good idea Ron. That would be interesting and helpful. As there was a request for a ladies section we need a good collective effort.

--

January 1, 2018 at 11:41 AM Flag Quote & Reply

james morton

The bout at the RAH after which Mueller was said to have retired was with her tagging Rusty Blair against Klondyke Kate and Naughty Nickey Monroe. Naturally Mueller gained the  winning fall. 

January 1, 2018 at 11:46 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Hack

Good un James. Nicky Munroe another name to add to the list.

--

January 1, 2018 at 11:56 AM Flag Quote & Reply

james morton

There is quite a lot of  footage  on You Tube. Lena and Rusty Balir seem to be different people.Pippa McQueen wrestled as Tarrawen. 

January 1, 2018 at 12:33 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hack

james morton at January 1, 2018 at 12:33 PM

There is quite a lot of  footage  on You Tube. Lena and Rusty Balir seem to be different people.Pippa McQueen wrestled as Tarrawen. 

Thanks James.

Just found Sugar Pie v Jenny Muff at the Cavendish Cinema, Nottingham on 23rd March, 1966.

Not of immense interest, but also on the bill was Dwight J Ingleburgh against Mountain Moran, presumably a fledgling Gargantua.

--

January 1, 2018 at 12:40 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ron Historyo

http://www.wrestlingheritage.co.uk/apps/photos/album?albumid=16103356

I have done a Girls gallery that shows at least once , most of the names mentioned. Sure I must have missed one or two.

--

HISTORYO

January 1, 2018 at 3:02 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hack

Great Ron, and a few new names for us

Pauline Ash

Barbarella

1970s

Helen Bartelli

Naughty Nancy Barton

"The Wildcat of the Mat" was certainly wrestling by 1965, a frequent opponent of Mitzi Mueller. Naughty Nancy was not Ann Barton (as had been planned) but a friend of Ann's who took over when Ann was overcome by nerves. As I have found Lolita wrestling nancy in February 1965 it would seem reasonable to assume both were working as early as 1964.

Pauline Bell

Wrestling in 1966. Billed from Halifax

Big Momma

1980s

Blackfoot Sioux/Miss Linda

1970s

Black Widow

Wrestling in 1977

Rusty Blair

1970s

Sue Brittain

Mentioned in Ringsport in 1973, from Leeds

Bunnygirl Sue

Wrestling in 1977

Lady Caroline

Mentioned in Ringsport with a short article and photo in March 1973. It was said that Lady Caroline had retired in 1968 to start a family.

Catwoman

1980s

Miss Cheeta

1970s

Cherokee Princess

1970s

Anita Cortez

Wrestling in 1966

Dynamite Debbie

1980s

Lady Emma

Ann Barton, the original Lolita Loren, returned as Lady Emma. Maybe there were others? Wrestling in the 1980s

Pussy Galore

Nola Goldsmith

Mentioned in Rigsport, April, 1973, reportedly retired in 1968 to have a baby

Gypsy Princess

Wrestling in 1977

Hellcat Haggerty

Was certainly wrestling by 1971, and mentioned in Ringsport April,1973

Haggetty's Daughter

1970s. Any connection with Hellcat Haggetty?

Gerry Jansen

Mentioned in Ringsport in April, 1973, with photo.

Coleen O'Hara

1980s

Donna Marie

1980s

Gypsy Princess

1970s

Lady Jane

Wrestling by 1976

Klondyke Kate

Katrina

1970s

Kathy Kay

Wrestling by 1966

Kathy Kegan

Wrestling in 1981

Rita Lester

Wrestling by 1976

Lolita Loren

The original Lolita was Ann Barton, wrestling as early as 1965. As I have found Lolita wrestling nancy in February 1965 it would seem reasonable to assume both were working as early as 1964

Molly Malone

1970s

Jackie McCann

1980s

Jean McKenzie

Wrestling in 1971

Naughty Nickie

1980s

Viv Martell

Wrestling by 1972, photo and short article in Ringsport in February 1974

Pattie McGowan

Wrestling by 1966

Mitzi Mueller

Susy Parkins

Mentioned in Ringsport with a short article and photo in March 1973, from Norfolk

Miss Portugal

Dirty Diana Rawling

Mentioned in Ringsport in 1973, from Yorkshire

Maria Rivoldi

1970s

Diane Rodrigues

Wrestling in 1966. "The blond bombshell"

Susan Sexton

1970s

Cherokee Sioux

Photo and short article in Ringsport in February 1974

Shirley Southern

Miss Spitfire.

Wrestling by 1980

Judy Starr

Julie Starr

Wrestling in 1971. Was she Judy Starr?

Tina Starr

Wrestling in the 1980s

Cindy Stephens

"The blonde bomber from Chicago." Wrestling in 1966

Teenage Tracy

1980s

Paula Valdez

Wrestling in 1977

Yvonne Willetts

Was wrestling by 1965

--

January 1, 2018 at 4:00 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ron Historyo

That's quite an A-Z.....What have we started.

And some very interesting stuff on this old thread.

http://www.britishwrestling.co.uk/forums/topic/lady-wrestlers-related-to-other-wrestlers/

--

HISTORYO

January 1, 2018 at 4:36 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hack

An interesting link Ron, and one that takes me back a bit. britishwrestling.co.uk was the short lived re-branding of the 1Stop forum where quite a few Heritage members became friends.

We've made good progress with this topic today. I'm confident there's enough general information to start a ladies celebration, but we are going to need a lot more help for a detailed A-Z. But when we get something up and running it will lead to more interest. 

I think our first reference to 1960s female wrestling so far is 1965. I've read an article today in which Mitzi said she started in 1964 and believed she was the first woman wrestler. I'm not sure of that (she'd need an opponent) but 1964 seems a feasible start date for the 1960s, though we know there was female wrestling many years earlier.

--

January 1, 2018 at 5:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Bill Smith

Try this,info and photos here.

bigassorted.blogspot.co.uk/2017/01/some-british-ladywrestlers-for-you.html

well worth a look

January 1, 2018 at 5:31 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.