WRESTLING HERITAGE

British wrestling history 

has a name

Heritage

Forums

Forum Home > Talk Wrestling > Open air venues

Bernard Hughes

Following the little conversation with Ray Hulm on here on another topic, made me think.

How many open air venues were there? and how many are still being used as open air venues?

--

December 12, 2017 at 6:55 AM Flag Quote & Reply

PETER

Bernard

Preston City Wrestling have shows in the market square in front of the Town Hall two or three times a year

December 12, 2017 at 10:48 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Bernard Hughes

Thank you Peter. I have never been to Preston,but some of my friends say that it is a nice place.

--

December 12, 2017 at 5:09 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SaxonWolf

There was an open air venue at Cliftonville from memory, late 1960's, saw McManus there.

December 12, 2017 at 5:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SaxonWolf

Bernard Hughes at December 12, 2017 at 5:09 PM

Thank you Peter. I have never been to Preston,but some of my friends say that it is a nice place.

I'll be there on Saturday for football, been a few times, some nice old pubs in the centre. 

December 12, 2017 at 5:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

powerlock
There has been a few shows held in the open air in the past in the North East, I as co-ordinator for a community festival put on two shows at the festival site the second show included Sheamus now of WWE and an appearance by PAC, but there has been no permanent open air venue up here as far as I can remember
December 12, 2017 at 6:30 PM Flag Quote & Reply

David Mantell

Two extremes: Wembley Stadium for Summerslam '92 and the odd bit of town parkland for free shows at fairs/fetes.

December 13, 2017 at 2:32 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ray Hulm

It's all coming back through the mist of time. 1959? Lovely sunny day. Open air show at a big fairground somewhere in the Windsor area. Not a booth but a free show that seemed to roll on continuously. Ref acted as MC as well.  Ten years later I was in Monte Carlo. Open air show with ring floating on swimming pool. Wrestlers ferried out by small boat. I'm not making any of this up.

--

December 13, 2017 at 4:34 AM Flag Quote & Reply

JNLister

SaxonWolf at December 12, 2017 at 5:23 PM

There was an open air venue at Cliftonville from memory, late 1960's, saw McManus there.

One wrestler I talked to -- I think Mel Stuart -- recalled a show at Cliftonville where the weather was so awful he got distracted in the middle of the match by the sight of an audience member climbing the fence to get *out* of the show.

December 13, 2017 at 7:21 AM Flag Quote & Reply

maskedmummy
Attended 2 open air shows this year 1 at Ellesmere Port and 1 in Lpool
December 13, 2017 at 10:11 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Anglo Italian

I saw Kendo Nagasaki win the WWWF world title at The Pilot Field, Hastings, when Johnny Kincaid subbed for Rikki Starr.  The only bill ever held there, I believe, but a corker with a pre-tv Haystacks and the night I got the Wild Man of Borneo's autograph.  So fulfilling!

--

Still trying to work out what was going on!

December 13, 2017 at 1:48 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Bernard Hughes

Seems like more open air shows than i ever imagined.

Nothing like a rainy night at the Fiddlers !

I used to moan then but i wouldn't mind putting up with the rain if I could see shows like that again.

Sorry to all you folks that like what you see now, but too much talking put me right off.

--

December 13, 2017 at 5:10 PM Flag Quote & Reply

powerlock
Not forgetting all those shows in Wrestling booths and marquees as near to outside as they could possibly be
December 13, 2017 at 6:01 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sapper James

In May 1993 we put on a show at a village fete just behind the vicarage in Stretton-on-Dunsmore. The vicar let the wrestlers get changed in his bedroom. Johnny Kidd "beat" Scrubber Daly by reverse decision and Blondie Barratt pinned Dale Broughton (Preston) following a Samoan drop. The villagers gave us vouchers for beer and made plenty of sandwiches for us.

December 14, 2017 at 11:45 AM Flag Quote & Reply

PETER

Wrestling in booths continued at the Nottingham Goose Fair every October until the end of the 19990's

December 19, 2017 at 9:30 AM Flag Quote & Reply

powerlock
we used to get Ron Taylors booth every year at Newcastle Hoppings Fair every June tillhe finally gave it up.
December 19, 2017 at 1:28 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Bernard Hughes

Hi Powerlock, any idea which year that started?

--

December 20, 2017 at 6:13 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Bernard Hughes

JUst noticed that i had 338 mins to edit.

Now that's new.

--

December 20, 2017 at 6:14 AM Flag Quote & Reply

powerlock

Bernard Hughes at December 20, 2017 at 6:13 AM

Hi Powerlock, any idea which year that started?

The hoppings or Ron Taylor booth?
December 20, 2017 at 7:21 AM Flag Quote & Reply

PETER

Taylors Booth was opened by his great grandfather in 1861.The Hoppings Fair started in 1882 as a temperance fair and the name Hopping comes from Middle English for dancing

December 20, 2017 at 10:35 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.