WRESTLING HERITAGE

British wrestling history 

has a name

Heritage

Forums

Forum Home > Talk Wrestling > Fan Clubs

Hack
I wonder how many of you were members of fan clubs in those pre internet days? I was a member of the club run by Jack Mawdesley of Stockport, nearly 50 years on I still remember his address. Jack was a lovely man whose generosity must have cost him a fortune. My memory is that the club was called the International Wrestling Supporters Club, but others have said it was the A-Z. Whatever the name Jack sent out monster foolscap sized newsletters covering the wrestling scene in general and a quarterly results listing. I was also a member of Brian Dixon's club, which I think was A-Z or All Star, which I think supported around 20 wrestlers but was a good source of general information. I also joined 4 Stars, which supported a group of southern based wrestlers, Al Hayes and Wayne Bridges amongst them. Finally, two others I joined were the Catweazle Club and Dorothy Pagets club for Peter Mavia.
--

British wrestling - great characters but the plot was always a bit of a mystery.

May 24, 2017 at 10:39 AM Flag Quote & Reply

david franklin

Fond memories there Hack. I was also a member of all the clubs you mentioned (except the Carweazle one). I was good friends with Dorothy Paget (who ran Peter Maivia's club). She lived near Bath where she and her husband ran a farm, and she regularly picked me up to take me to wrestling shows run by Jimmy Hagan at nearby Melksham.

May 25, 2017 at 2:59 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Hack

Thanks David. I remember when Peter Maivia left Britain and Dorothy closed the fan club. I was very disappointed at her decision and believe there were others that asked her to continue.

--

British wrestling - great characters but the plot was always a bit of a mystery.

May 26, 2017 at 6:21 PM Flag Quote & Reply

david franklin

Yes that was a shame Hack. Once she closed the club down she seemed to disappear from the wrestling scene and we sadly lost touch with one another. :)

May 27, 2017 at 3:13 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Anglo Italian

And some of those fan clubs had real quality output in terms of materials.

I signed up for the Brian Maxine club.  I wasn't sure then why I did and I'm not sure now.  He was an annoying baddie with that sawing motion.  But Betty Addison ran it so well and gave so much.  We became very good friends and, knowing I like the racing, too, she gave me a Liverpool racecard of when Red Rum won his first Grand National.

As the years passed I came to realise that Goldbelt held a certain fascination for the ladies, wherever I saw him wrestle.  As a red-blooded male I found this hard to fathom and pondered whether it was his winning smile (smirk), or his musical skills that attracted them;  I concluded it must have been his double championships.

--

Still trying to work out what was going on!

May 28, 2017 at 5:17 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Hack

Those who ran the fan clubs must have been very dedicated. In those days it was much harder to come research and the wrestlers themselves would not give anything away. I remember Pauline who ran the Catweazle clubsaying that she kept trying to get Gary to give her a list of his forthcoming matches for the newsletter. We now know why he wouldn't; apart from recurrring opponents he wouldn't know who he was wrestling until he turned up at the venue. the last thing a wrestler would have wanted would be for a fan to follow him from one match to another.

--

May 28, 2017 at 5:33 AM Flag Quote & Reply

lofty waterman

Hi ref fan Clubs I was a Member of the kENDO NAGASAKI Fan club which had a couple of Secarteries depens where you where  the north had one the south had one George Gillette would prouduce the fans news letters and we could obtain Pictures , badges , Tee shirts some wher sold at the wrestling venue where Kendo was  wrestling Also KENDO and George would always give you an autograph and allow you to take a picture also.I suppose one called say that i am still a Fan Club Member Of The Legened that is KENDO NAGASAKI.

There are still members of the old Kendo fan club out there and they still ahve some very intresting fan club items.

All the best

Keep up the good work

Regards

Lofty Waterman

May 28, 2017 at 6:07 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Maryjane

My mum ran the 4 star fan club , Steve veidor was in it. 

May 28, 2017 at 8:05 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Maryjane

Just checked with mum and the 4 star fan club started out with Mike Marino, Steve Veidor ,Al Hayes, and Ray Hunter but then they took on Wayne Bridges, Robbie Barron, Johnny Saint , Roger Green and Bob Kirkwood, we still have a pair of Bob Kirkwoods wrestling boots ...

May 28, 2017 at 10:13 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Maryjane

We still have lots of the wrestler magazines from 60's 

May 28, 2017 at 10:15 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Maryjane

Is anyone still in touch with Steve veidor ?

May 28, 2017 at 10:26 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Maryjane

I know a lot of the wrestlers used to meet up annually at Wayne Bridges pub , I'd love to contact some of them again, we knew stevie grey well too ..

May 28, 2017 at 10:29 AM Flag Quote & Reply

SaxonWolf

Maryjane at May 28, 2017 at 10:29 AM

I know a lot of the wrestlers used to meet up annually at Wayne Bridges pub , I'd love to contact some of them again, we knew stevie grey well too ..

Facsinating stuff Mary Jane, there is an annual Wrestler Reunion at Wayne Bridges pub every summer.

May 28, 2017 at 11:38 AM Flag Quote & Reply

SaxonWolf

lofty waterman at May 28, 2017 at 6:07 AM

Hi ref fan Clubs I was a Member of the kENDO NAGASAKI Fan club which had a couple of Secarteries depens where you where  the north had one the south had one George Gillette would prouduce the fans news letters and we could obtain Pictures , badges , Tee shirts some wher sold at the wrestling venue where Kendo was  wrestling Also KENDO and George would always give you an autograph and allow you to take a picture also.I suppose one called say that i am still a Fan Club Member Of The Legened that is KENDO NAGASAKI.

There are still members of the old Kendo fan club out there and they still ahve some very intresting fan club items.

All the best

Keep up the good work

Regards

Lofty Waterman

Hi Lofty

The Kendo Nagasaki fan cub used to run ads in the local Sheffield newspapers, with details on how to join, I don't recall seeing any other fan cub do that, and to be honest I do not remember too many fan clubs for rule breaking vilains like Kendo!

May 28, 2017 at 11:40 AM Flag Quote & Reply

lofty waterman

SaxonWolf at May 28, 2017 at 11:38 AM

Facsinating stuff Mary Jane, there is an annual Wrestler Reunion at Wayne Bridges pub every summer.

Hi Saxon Wolf thank you for your reply anewspaper article on how to join very intresting and a worthwhile advert i hope for the Kendo Nagasaki Fan Club. it would have been intresting to know how many ahd joined over the years I do know George Gillette did do his best in puting out the information of kendos matches and who theiopponets wher going to be.

To run a fan club no matter whos must take a lot of time and energy and alot of postage to make sure the fans got the information they where after.

I think MAD ELI also had a fan club of some sort i know he sold wrestling videos of some matches when he was with us good old MAD ELI will never be a nother.

allt he best

keep up ther good work

regards

Lofty Waterman

May 28, 2017 at 1:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ron Historyo

lofty waterman at May 28, 2017 at 1:37 PM

SaxonWolf at May 28, 2017 at 11:38 AM

Hi Saxon Wolf thank you for your reply anewspaper article on how to join very intresting and a worthwhile advert i hope for the Kendo Nagasaki Fan Club. it would have been intresting to know how many ahd joined over the years I do know George Gillette did do his best in puting out the information of kendos matches and who theiopponets wher going to be.

To run a fan club no matter whos must take a lot of time and energy and alot of postage to make sure the fans got the information they where after.

I think MAD ELI also had a fan club of some sort i know he sold wrestling videos of some matches when he was with us good old MAD ELI will never be a nother.

allt he best

keep up ther good work

regards

Lofty Waterman

I was never in any Fan Clubs but I found George Gillete really fantastic and I am talking 1972-1974. Although never on first name terms with each other  , he would tell me Kendo's itineray for the next week or so and even pull out a note book  and supply me with phone numbers of stadiums so that I could ring and check the card and starting time before travelling.

That far back , there probably was no fan club.

This was a great period where Kendo was a new sensation and for sure captured my attention.

--

HISTORYO

Time Detective and Multi Heritage Award Winner

May 28, 2017 at 2:00 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Maryjane

Yes I just found out the british wrestlers reunion ran by wayne bridges all meet up in his pub the bridges in Kent every 2nd Sunday in aug .

May 28, 2017 at 6:09 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hack

Hello Maryjane, it's good to have you with us. I was a member of your mum's club. I wasn't a fan of any of the wrestlers but the clubs provided lots of information for us fans. Please pass on thanks and best wishes to mum. It would be great if she could share her memories with us old codgers. How did she come to start the club? How did she communicate with the wrestlers? Was she awre that wrestling was not everything it seemed to be?

Steve Veidor, Johnny Saint, Bob Kirkwood and, of course, Wayne Bridges are usually at the Reunion, along with lots of others.

Do tell us about your own interest in wrestling.

--

May 28, 2017 at 6:38 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Maryjane

Hi hack, I will get her to share some of her memories, it would be good if we could get to the reunion, but if not please mention us to them, they may remember us, Ann, John Richardson, I ( lesley) was only 4 years old when we used to go to peterborough to watch them, I remember Steve veidor very fondly, when he saw me he used to hold his arms out and I used to run and jump into his arms, he made me a promise, I wonder if he remembers :-) 

May 28, 2017 at 10:40 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Maryjane

It would be great to catch up with stevie grey again, does he go to the reunions, the last time I met up with stevie was at spalding, I was only 14,so that would of been 1981

May 28, 2017 at 10:53 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.