WRESTLING HERITAGE

British wrestling history 

has a name

Heritage

Forums

Forum Home > Talk Wrestling > ITV wrestling

powerlock
Evidently ITV are rumoured to have agreed a deal with the Anthem the people who recently took over TNA , so we may end up watching wrasslin instead of wrestling, this will be independent of the promotion in the USA and could possibly be ran the way TNA ran a wrestling show in India for the Color TV channel a year or two back, I saw one or two shows online and they were pretty entertaining.
March 12, 2017 at 6:59 AM Flag Quote & Reply

matey dave

spike UK is claiming the same thing, meantime the plot thickens

--

blessed are the pacemakers

really do need my medication

more tea vicar and another jammy dodger

nurse, i need changing and my complan has gone cold

close friend of gladys the impaler

March 12, 2017 at 8:17 AM Flag Quote & Reply

matey dave

impact start april 21st on spike

--

March 12, 2017 at 8:26 AM Flag Quote & Reply

powerlock
Spike is showing Impact, plus a 1 hour show on one if the channel 5 channels, The ITV show is not an Anthem Impact show like the Spike broadcasts, its a British based show ran by ITV and Anthem as a partnership
March 12, 2017 at 10:23 AM Flag Quote & Reply

matey dave

same set up as over christmas shambles then

--

March 12, 2017 at 1:30 PM Flag Quote & Reply

powerlock
Could be but at least Anthem have wrestling people throughout their set up
March 12, 2017 at 2:50 PM Flag Quote & Reply

David Mantell

Talking of ITV Wrestling, with all due respect to JN Lister, I really do have to query his decision to grant the New Years' Eve "World Of Sport" broadcast equal status on his website with ITV wrestling transmissions 1955-1988.  The people behind the show wish (like many others in their position) to posit their product as being a continuation/revival of what was beind broadcast on ITV in years past.  I would argue that it is no such thing and that the people behind the programme are causing unnecesary confusion by calling themselves "World Of Sport" which has come to be a common retronym for Old School/Traditional British Wrestling culture, both historically and in surviving forms (eg All Star, Premier).  I would therefore like to register my disapproval of Lister's thus endoresement of the NYE broadcast.  I feel at best it should be given them same status as the Transatlantic Wrestling Challenge broadcasts in 2000 and probably a lesser status than Reslo or the Grampian TV broadcasts.

Perhaps Mr Lister may contend that since it was broadcast nationally in the Saturday teatime slot on ITV1 and that in itself is grounds for class 1 inclusion on his (otherwise excellent) site.  After all, he might contend, his site gives full coverage of the 1987-1988 WWF specials, not to mention material from the 1976 WWWF Shea Stadium show broadcast on World Of Sport.  I would respond that in that case, for the sake of consistency he should create pages for years 1992 to 1995 with full coverage of every episode of WCW Worldwide Wrestling that was broadcast nationally on Saturday afternoon during that time period, and possibly also every WWF/WCW episode screened on late night television 1988-1992.

March 19, 2017 at 7:41 AM Flag Quote & Reply

JNLister

The whole site and the organization/classification continues to be a work in progress, not least because how much has changed with the popularity of British wrestling and the availability of media outlets since it launched in 2004. 

As much as people may not have liked the style or the presentation, I feel the NYE show is best listed in the same category as the 1955-1988 shows. Like them, it was a wrestling show in Britain with British wrestlers filmed and broadcast by ITV on its main national channel. That matches everything in the yearly listings other than the WWF shows, which are there mainly for simplicity and clarity. You could argue the 2016 show was different because it was run by ITV, but that seems a bit mean to "disqualify" it on a site called ITVwrestling.

Until these shows I've never had cause to add something to the yearly listings (TWC was not shown nationally on the main ITV, Celebrity Wrestling didn't have any matches, WCW was previously produced US wrestling) and all this stuff was lumped in to the "post-88" page because it never occured to me that the day would come when something would air that made sense to add a new "year" page.

I can't see any logical reason why, for example, the first ITV broadcast in 1955 and the All Star Hipprodrome show with the disco ladder match should be in the same overall category but the 2016 NYE show should not.

March 20, 2017 at 7:33 AM Flag Quote & Reply

david franklin

JNLister at March 20, 2017 at 7:33 AM

The whole site and the organization/classification continues to be a work in progress, not least because how much has changed with the popularity of British wrestling and the availability of media outlets since it launched in 2004. 

As much as people may not have liked the style or the presentation, I feel the NYE show is best listed in the same category as the 1955-1988 shows. Like them, it was a wrestling show in Britain with British wrestlers filmed and broadcast by ITV on its main national channel. That matches everything in the yearly listings other than the WWF shows, which are there mainly for simplicity and clarity. You could argue the 2016 show was different because it was run by ITV, but that seems a bit mean to "disqualify" it on a site called ITVwrestling.

Until these shows I've never had cause to add something to the yearly listings (TWC was not shown nationally on the main ITV, Celebrity Wrestling didn't have any matches, WCW was previously produced US wrestling) and all this stuff was lumped in to the "post-88" page because it never occured to me that the day would come when something would air that made sense to add a new "year" page.

I can't see any logical reason why, for example, the first ITV broadcast in 1955 and the All Star Hipprodrome show with the disco ladder match should be in the same overall category but the 2016 NYE show should not.

Well said John, you are absolutely right. We are talking ITV National  coverage, and it certainly falls into that category. We are not talking about the quality of the event as "British style wrestling" (I for one hated it almost as much as that embarrassing disco ladder match ;) ;), merely it's existence as an ITV national event.  

March 21, 2017 at 3:53 AM Flag Quote & Reply

The 1978 Kid

I am entirely in agreement with Young David and John Lister.

Its all about ITV wrestling, whether or not the "World of Sport" title is used. 

Its not about what the exact definition of "classic" British wrestling is, and the minutiae of which precise holds and counters should be included in this definition. If that were the case then the ITV wbesite would probably have to exclude most Big Daddy tags from its listings!

Whatever we may think of what was shown on New Years Eve it certainly included matches that included as many wrestling holds and counters as some of the matches shown during 1988 on ITV.

It is a pity that all the hard work of John Lister should be so harshly criticsed when he has done such a service to the British wrestling scene in cataloguing ITV wrestling

March 21, 2017 at 11:08 AM Flag Quote & Reply

David Mantell

Firstly I did say that JN Lister's site is "otherwise excellent".

My problem isn't with the exact style of the matches. Yes of course there were plenty of bouts in the old days with what Kent Walton would call "not too much wrestling just yet". My problem is with the TV show's claim to be a reactivation and continuation of the 1955-1988 broadcasts. This was sheer hype on the part of the programme makers and should be taken with the same pinch of salt - the same several industrial size sacks labelled SAXA - as for example FWA's old claim to be the "Revival" of British Wrestling and to being the biggest promotion in the country (which it never was, but that's another story).

I feel a lot of people including Lister are going along with this hype too readily when in fact there are several other broadcasts which have an equal or possibly better claim to the title of being Revivals of ITV wrestling.

March 21, 2017 at 7:48 PM Flag Quote & Reply

powerlock
David its all opinion which we are all entitled to, we sometimes differ, that's what makes it interesting
March 21, 2017 at 8:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

David Mantell

>the TV show's claim to be a reactivation and continuation of the 1955-1988 broadcasts.

>FWA's old claim to be the "Revival" of British Wrestling and to being the biggest promotion in the country (which it never was, but that's another story).

Penny drops - the common denominator with these two being the dreaded Alex Shane. I will NEVER forgive him for calling old school British wrestlers - in a babyface* promo no less - "fat old men in swimming trunks." He has spent his professional life as a fanatical activist for Fin Martin's personal mission to finally extinguish the flame of Traditional British Wrestling culture.

* the term seems more appropriate than "blue eye" considering the nature of FWA

March 23, 2017 at 8:08 AM Flag Quote & Reply

powerlock

David Mantell at March 23, 2017 at 8:08 AM

>the TV show's claim to be a reactivation and continuation of the 1955-1988 broadcasts.

>FWA's old claim to be the "Revival" of British Wrestling and to being the biggest promotion in the country (which it never was, but that's another story).

Penny drops - the common denominator with these two being the dreaded Alex Shane. I will NEVER forgive him for calling old school British wrestlers - in a babyface* promo no less - "fat old men in swimming trunks." He has spent his professional life as a fanatical activist for Fin Martin's personal mission to finally extinguish the flame of Traditional British Wrestling culture.

* the term seems more appropriate than "blue eye" considering the nature of FWA

Fin Maryin has not been involved with wrestling for almost 3 years the last Powerslam was in mid 2014
March 23, 2017 at 5:12 PM Flag Quote & Reply

powerlock
Martin, my apologies my finger slipped on the tablet
March 23, 2017 at 5:24 PM Flag Quote & Reply

The 1978 Kid

David Mantell at March 21, 2017 at 7:48 PM

Firstly I did say that JN Lister's site is "otherwise excellent".

My problem isn't with the exact style of the matches. Yes of course there were plenty of bouts in the old days with what Kent Walton would call "not too much wrestling just yet". My problem is with the TV show's claim to be a reactivation and continuation of the 1955-1988 broadcasts. This was sheer hype on the part of the programme makers and should be taken with the same pinch of salt - the same several industrial size sacks labelled SAXA - as for example FWA's old claim to be the "Revival" of British Wrestling and to being the biggest promotion in the country (which it never was, but that's another story).

I feel a lot of people including Lister are going along with this hype too readily when in fact there are several other broadcasts which have an equal or possibly better claim to the title of being Revivals of ITV wrestling.

Surely wrestling (professional wrestling) is built on and feeds on hype? Its hype that gets us punters back through the doors for the return contest. Even the Wigan shooters loved the professional world where they were hyped up as the ones no one could beat.

When the "several other broadcasts" were mentioned I was thinking of the NGW shows on the local Made in Liverpool/Made in Leeds etc channels. However, they involve Alex Shane so I suppose they don't count either.

In Greg Lambert's new book "Ropes and Glory" he mentions that Fin Martin was sorry in the later days of Powerslam that he had been so negative about British wrestling

March 23, 2017 at 5:26 PM Flag Quote & Reply

matey dave

looks like many old timers will be having panic attack with ITV

https://411mania.com/wrestling/itvs-world-of-sport-series-greenlit/

--

March 23, 2017 at 9:13 PM Flag Quote & Reply

David Mantell

>Surely wrestling (professional wrestling) is built on and feeds on hype?  

Alex Shane's wrestling projects have a very odd brand of hype which basically run along the lines of "We are the biggest and best because we say we are."  It's also rather funny the way he pretends All Star doesn't exist when they have been doing miles better business than him for donkeys' years (as have a few other promotions).

Re. Fin Martin - this would be the same Fin Martin who slagged Johnny Saint off as "boring" - the phillistine.

March 23, 2017 at 9:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

David Mantell

matey dave at March 23, 2017 at 9:13 PM

looks like many old timers will be having panic attack with ITV

https://411mania.com/wrestling/itvs-world-of-sport-series-greenlit/

We'll see how this pans out.  It could work out for good if they put clean matches on with Deano, Mason, Spitfire etc

March 23, 2017 at 9:44 PM Flag Quote & Reply

David Mantell

>WCW was previously produced US wrestling

The 1992-1995 WCW Worldwide on Sat afternoon ITV was bang up to date broadcasts.  It was also ITV's way of sheepishly uncancelling the wrestling for a few years due to the sport going mega in the UK within months of The Final Bell.  As such, I'd still argue it had as good credentials as the WWF specials '87-'88.  Also, thanks to a certain Mr Regal there was even some of the British style of wrestling getting on to our screens.  

Had it gone a few more months, Giant Haystacks would have been back on Sat afternoon ITV.

March 23, 2017 at 9:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

This topic is closed, no additional posts are allowed.