WRESTLING HERITAGE

British wrestling history 

has a name

Heritage

Forums

Forum Home > Talk Wrestling > Peter Rann

george johnson

I was watching the dvd for the Tv series England,their England. The episode which was about Mitzi Mueller and is the only dvd I have ever seen which shows Mitzi wrestling. Anyway as the closing credits rolled it showed Peter Rann as dubbing mixer. Would this be the same Peter Rann who was the hard man of wrestling. Iknow he stopped wrestling in the mid 70's and this TV episode was about 1978.

August 17, 2015 at 11:03 AM Flag Quote & Reply

matey dave

nope

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1183822/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

--

blessed are the pacemakers

really do need my medication

more tea vicar and another jammy dodger

nurse, i need changing and my complan has gone cold

close friend of gladys the impaler

August 17, 2015 at 1:09 PM Flag Quote & Reply

ballymoss

Although obviously possible, I doubt if this was the same Peter Rann. He was indeed, a very hard man, and unusually for a wrestler, quite weatthy. He used to live in Chiswick, where I sometimes saw him, fashionably well dressed, sipping coffee in an upmarket trendy cafe. Because of his reputation, I a timid youth, lacked the courage to approach him.

His out of wrestling activities made him quite notorious, as he acted as a debt collector, notably for the late unlamented Peter Rachman. Despite this nefarious activity being widely reported in the national press, or perhaps because of, he was retained on Dale Martin's books. Not surprisingly Peter Rann became the subject of lively "banter" from some wrestling audiences, although this appeared not to bother him in the least, and few people would be  brave enough to reproach him.

To his credit  he was a wrestler of some ability and enjoyed a lengthy productive career and formed a successful partnership with Pasquale Salvo in a tag team, ofton termed the "Riot Squad". Peter Rann also had the repuation

of being a practical "joker" and no doubt was kind to his family, friends and animals, but I have my reservations as to whether he in general, was a particularly admirable human being.

--
August 18, 2015 at 5:07 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Anglo Italian

Did he ever win his Southern England Middlewight title from anyone?

Did he ever lose his Southern England Middlewight title to  anyone?

Did he ever defendhis Southern England Middlewight title?

I bet there were plenty of wrestlers he never wrestled.

Look what happened when he did face up to Les Kellett - i remember those 1972 midweek tv shows so clearly.

Did he ever wrestle McManus or Logan?  He seemed to have a small pool of opponents that included Clay Thomson and Billy Torontos and Johnny Kincaid.  JK would be able to shed light on the real Peter Rann.

--

Still trying to work out what was going on!

August 19, 2015 at 9:15 AM Flag Quote & Reply

james morton

I once saw him as a blue eyes on a Paul Lincoln bill against Linde Caulder. As for practical joker he  apparently used to lead poor Mad Fred Rondel into all sorts of scrapes. I was told he was fond of egg sandwiches, used to practice his falls on the concrete in Kensington Gardens and went to iive in Blackpool where he died. I can't vouch for the accuracy. 

August 19, 2015 at 10:34 AM Flag Quote & Reply

david franklin

Anglo Italian at August 19, 2015 at 9:15 AM

Did he ever win his Southern England Middlewight title from anyone?

Did he ever lose his Southern England Middlewight title to  anyone?

Did he ever defendhis Southern England Middlewight title?

I bet there were plenty of wrestlers he never wrestled.

Look what happened when he did face up to Les Kellett - i remember those 1972 midweek tv shows so clearly.

Did he ever wrestle McManus or Logan?  He seemed to have a small pool of opponents that included Clay Thomson and Billy Torontos and Johnny Kincaid.  JK would be able to shed light on the real Peter Rann.

He defended his Southern Area Title successfully quite a few times. I remember seeing handbills for title defences against Kalman Gaston and Jackie Pallo, both of whom had beaten him in non-title matches.

They did seem to keep him away from young inexperienced opponents who might “irritate” him with their lack of expertise. From what I hear an “irritated” Peter Rann was not something anyone wanted. ;)

I suspect that the Southern-Area title “died” when Peter Rann retired. I’m pretty sure he never lost the title in the ring.

Some interesting questions there, it would be certainly be good to get more answers.

August 20, 2015 at 3:49 AM Flag Quote & Reply

ballymoss

Peter Rann did win the Southern Area Middleweight title after a tournament was held at the Fairfield Halls, Croydon.In the final he defeated Ken Joyce. He certainly defended the title successfully, and although I am far from certain it was for the championship, I can recall him having a couple of heated contests with a wrestler of similar style, the underated "Iron Jaw" Joe Murphy. I believe Murphy won the first and Rann the second, so it may have been for the title.

Peter Rann had a lengthy career from 1951 to 1974, but what is puzzling, is why he carried on so long,particularly after attracting adverse publicity as a Rachman "heavy" in the early !960's. Surely not for the money. He was rarely a wrestling headliner, but clearly a wealthy man, the bulk of which was obviously earned from his somewhat dubious outside activities.

He certainly continued living in  affluent Chiswick after he retired, but without disparaging Blackpool, if he did die there, what were the circumstances- did he move there, on holiday- as truly fascinating character.

I agree I believe the Southern Area Middleweight title became extinct after Peter Rann retired.

--
August 20, 2015 at 7:17 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Graham Bawden

I remember Peter Rann from Kent Walton`s book, This Grappling Game. He was described by Walton as the likeable rule breaker. 

--

Graham Bawden. Wrestling Heritage Heavy - Middleweight Championship Belt Holder,  Wrestling Heritage Pallo Junior Award Holder, Wrestling Heritage D ` Orazio Award Holder.  Wrestling Heritage Starr Award Holder.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            

August 20, 2015 at 9:10 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Anglo Italian

And so in true Heritage tradition, one narrow thread based on the southern memories of a few can open up to the statisticians.

So it seems clear that Peter Rann was the only ever holder of the Southern England Middleweight title.  That's quite something.

It's not going off topic:  can anyone name any other British wrestler who was the only ever holder of their title?

Ray Fury?

Wild Ian Campbell?

Killer Ken Davies?

Wayne Bridges?

Jumping Jim Hussey?

Tony Costas ? (barring geography debates!)

even Alan Colbeck at European level?

--

August 20, 2015 at 9:11 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Bernard Hughes

Hi Anglo, carrying on from your post, can anyone think of a wrestler who never lost, and retired undefeated?

--

August 20, 2015 at 9:52 AM Flag Quote & Reply

ballymoss

The sage of Hollywood- Doctor Death- was he ever unmasked, and I mean the real good Doctor- Paul Lincoln.

--
August 20, 2015 at 12:29 PM Flag Quote & Reply

james morton

Plenty of times after he joined with Joint. I think the  first was Peter Maiva in Chelmsford.   But, Bernard, was The (real) Ghoul? I don't think so. 

August 20, 2015 at 12:40 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ron Historyo

The masked men mentioned above are just one identity of a wrestler who started out and paid his dues.

It was great for masked men to have an unbeaten streak , but most started without the mask and lost many times as did famous wrestlers Mcmanus , Pallo, Pye, Assirati and all the rest

Lincoln and Bomber Bates had plenty of losses. Nagasaki of course started with a mask , but on the quiet lost a few times in the 1960's.

In the Wrestling Industry , I doubt if anyone ever was unbeaten. You are required to Learn , Peak and Fade and give to the business.

Or am I wrong

--

HISTORYO

Time Detective and Multi Heritage Award Winner

August 20, 2015 at 2:17 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SaxonWolf

ballymoss at August 20, 2015 at 7:17 AM

Peter Rann did win the Southern Area Middleweight title after a tournament was held at the Fairfield Halls, Croydon.In the final he defeated Ken Joyce. He certainly defended the title successfully, and although I am far from certain it was for the championship, I can recall him having a couple of heated contests with a wrestler of similar style, the underated "Iron Jaw" Joe Murphy. I believe Murphy won the first and Rann the second, so it may have been for the title.

Peter Rann had a lengthy career from 1951 to 1974, but what is puzzling, is why he carried on so long,particularly after attracting adverse publicity as a Rachman "heavy" in the early !960's. Surely not for the money. He was rarely a wrestling headliner, but clearly a wealthy man, the bulk of which was obviously earned from his somewhat dubious outside activities.

He certainly continued living in  affluent Chiswick after he retired, but without disparaging Blackpool, if he did die there, what were the circumstances- did he move there, on holiday- as truly fascinating character.

I agree I believe the Southern Area Middleweight title became extinct after Peter Rann retired.

"...and although I am far from certain it was for the championship, I can recall him having a couple of heated contests with a wrestler of similar style, the underated "Iron Jaw" Joe Murphy. I believe Murphy won the first and Rann the second, so it may have been for the title...."

Joe Murphy beat Peter Rann in a tournament final in London, 15th February 1965, Jack Dempsey had beaten him two days before in Eastbourne.

August 20, 2015 at 2:47 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Geoff Shoots

You have probably seen the only Peter Rann match on you tube Vs Johnny Kincaid, here is the link to part 1 anyway. Interestingly Kent Martin says he was born in Doncaster and now lived in Chiswick so he was a Yorkshireman!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=on4U2jN_G2w

I saw Rann Vs Clay Thompson in Hastings White Rock Pavilion must have been at the back end of his career. They must have fought each other so many times and made for a great match up with Rann generating more heat than any heel I ever saw live. He threw Thompson through the top 2 ropes and Thompson dangled there with his neck in the twisted ropes for quite a time as I remember. Probably my top live wrestling memory from the good old days!

August 20, 2015 at 3:24 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Anglo Italian

Yeah, that quiet tv bout with Johnny Kincaid isn't representative of what Peter Rann was really like.  He had blue hair for a start!  He did that knee-kick reperatedly and crowd hated it.  Although he was regional champ, he used to lose more than he won.  The title was enough on the posters.

--

August 20, 2015 at 3:33 PM Flag Quote & Reply

james morton

Ron, I should have said Bomber Bates as The Ghoul never lost - or did he? 

August 20, 2015 at 5:28 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Bernard Hughes

James you are right, Bates as The Ghoul did not lose in that guise and retired undefeated.

Yes Bomber Bates lost many times, but The Ghoul didn't

I think that all other masked men did lose with their mask on.

--

August 20, 2015 at 5:33 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Bernard Hughes

Now Anglo, going back to your query, for ignorants like me, would you kindly give us a list of wrestler and the title that you are talking about.?

Then we can try to give some answers.

--

August 20, 2015 at 5:36 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Anglo Italian

I doubted myself, Bernard, but see this time for once I wasn't befuddled.

Peter Rann and his Southern England Middleweight Championship.

Apart from the fact he was from Doncaster, was he a southerner who never wrestled up north?  Is he quite unknown to northerners?

--

August 21, 2015 at 5:22 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.