WRESTLING HERITAGE

A hobby site created by enthusiasts of 
British wrestling celebrating wrestling and 
wrestlers from 1930 onwards through 
fifty glorious years of British wrestling history

Forums

Forum Home > Talk Wrestling > 50's Greats Still With Us (updated on page 6)

Anglo Italian

Trying to reverse the gloom of the Obituaries section, who are the Heritage greats who wrestled in the 1950s and are still alive?

Dazzler Joe Cornelius and Johnny Czeslaw spring to mind. 

Joe D'Orazio.  Bert Royal.  Gwynn Davies.

How about Al Nicol?  Does Rocky Wall count?

I am sure you can all add a number of others.

Or can you?

--

Still trying to work out what was going on!

July 22, 2013 at 6:29 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Mad Mac

Didn't Adrian Street start in the 50s?

Other possibles off the top of the head:

Peter Szakacs, Sid Cooper, Peter Preston, Spencer Churchill, Andy Robin, Brian Maxine, Rex Strong. Is Billy Robinson old enough? Or Rikki Starr?

July 23, 2013 at 1:04 AM Flag Quote & Reply

beancounter

The one to top the list must be Gerry Hoggarth, The Iron Man Of The Lakes, still with us 64 years after making his professional debut.  He must surely, at the age of 91, hold the title of "Father of the Ring."

July 23, 2013 at 5:02 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Hack

Good call Beancounter, but Vic Coleman turns 93 next month. Joe D'Orazio must be about the same age as Gerry, there can only be a few months in it one way or the other. Great to see him remembered.

Johnny Saint started in the 1950s, Dwight J Ingleburgh, Karl Von Kramer, Tony Scarlo, Bob Anthony, Geoff Portz, Al Tarzo, Peter Szakacs... there must be loads more.

Bert Royal started late 1940s, any others?

--

British wrestling - great characters but the plot was always a bit of a mystery.

July 23, 2013 at 4:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Bernard Hughes

Hi Hack. I thought that you had overslept on your hibernation

.I don't know if they have been mentioned yet, but Les Prest, Johnny England and my old mate Dickie Swales come to mind.

--

July 23, 2013 at 5:24 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hack

Good thinkin' Bernard, but I'd be surprised if Les Prest was working in the fifties. Johnny England you might be getting two mixed up - or is the 1950s Johnny England still alive. I think Dicky Swales will be a good call. Mention of Dicky reminded me of another contender, Jim Stockdale, who is still alive. Possibly Jimmy Devlin. Definitely well and truly alive but I think he only started out in 1960.

--

British wrestling - great characters but the plot was always a bit of a mystery.

July 23, 2013 at 6:09 PM Flag Quote & Reply

wryton

Mad Mac at July 23, 2013 at 1:04 AM

Didn't Adrian Street start in the 50s?

Other possibles off the top of the head:

Peter Szakacs, Sid Cooper, Peter Preston, Spencer Churchill, Andy Robin, Brian Maxine, Rex Strong. Is Billy Robinson old enough? Or Rikki Starr?

One or two more:-

GEOFF PORTZ

JOHN FOLEY

DEAN STOCKTON

MICK McMICHAEL

AL MIQUET

BILLY TWO RIVERS

BOBBY BARNES

BRIAN SPARKES

BOB ANTHONY

TONY CHARLES

HARRY KENDALL

JIM BREAKS

JON CORTEZ

Cooper,Ward,Robin or Sherman didn't appear untli the 60's.

July 23, 2013 at 7:03 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Mad Mac

Jim Breaks - he crossed my mind, but is he quite old enough? Didn't John Foley depart some years ago?

July 23, 2013 at 11:16 PM Flag Quote & Reply

beancounter

What about the marvellous Bob Sweeney? Judging by the photograph, he looked the fittest of the lot at the last Northern Reunion.

July 24, 2013 at 6:00 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Bernard Hughes

Sorry Hack, got myself in a bit of a muddle with this one.

I meant to say Les Stent but I don't know if he is still with us. 

One the Johnny England one I remembered the name, most likely your comment is correct.

Dicky Swales is still mentioned at the northern re-union.

By the way, may be another repeated name item, but there is a Vic Faulkner at Newcastle in 1959. Is it a possibility that this is Bert Royal's brother?

--

July 24, 2013 at 7:51 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Bernard Hughes

Cancel what I just posted re. Vic Faulkner ,it was 1961- Sorry folks

--

July 24, 2013 at 7:59 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Hack

Buddy Ward, Gori Ed Mangotich, Barry Douglas

--

July 24, 2013 at 7:00 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Mad Mac

Just as a follow-up on John Foley, appears he may have died as far back as 1988.

July 25, 2013 at 12:57 AM Flag Quote & Reply

David Mantell

Anglo, are you sure Johnny Czeslaw's still alive?

July 25, 2013 at 4:27 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Mad Mac

Re Johnny Czeslaw - he was attending the Southern reunions up until a few years ago. I thought I had read something about his sight being poor, and that he was living in the Bristol area.

July 25, 2013 at 11:16 AM Flag Quote & Reply

grahambrook

I jumped on the 130 bus in Handforth on Tuesday and sat next to Ronnie Smith who used to wrestle as "Jumping" Jim Moser. He looks a picture of health but admitted that his knees were the problem. When he wrestled for me a common finish was his extremely high dropkick which would knock his opponent out. I first booked him in 1977 (to wrestle "Bad Boy" Steve Young (later Skull Murphy) at The Parr Hall in Warrington) but had been paying to watch him long before that so imagine that he will come into the time frame being discussed. He had some great bouts for me but I think the best bout I ever saw him in was a one fall contest as part of an eight man knockout tournament promoted by Brian Dixon in his backyard (The Sports Centre, Birkinhead). He beat Albert "Rocky" Wall by disqualification in the quarter-final (and was beaten in the semi-final by Billy Howes who went on to lose in the final to Kendo Nagasaki).

--

July 25, 2013 at 11:16 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Bernard Hughes

Hi Graham. I think that you are a bit out on your dates. Joint Promotions were normally quite quick on sending their new men to Newcastle. Jim Moser's first appearance was a 2-1 win over Cyril Morris on 23/6/1962. 

On this basis, I don't think that he was wrestling in the 1950's.-sorry.

--

July 26, 2013 at 8:26 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Anglo Italian

Hi David

Johnny Czeslaw certainly keeps a very quiet profile, but occasionally we do hear that he is nearly blind.

I have heard no news of death.

So both my heart and my head make me plump for the more upbeat option.

--

July 26, 2013 at 2:06 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Anglo Italian

I remain to be convinced about a few of those mentioned above:

Peter Preston

Jon Cortez

Mick McMichael

Peter Szakacs

Jim Breaks

Bobby Barnes

Brian Maxine

Andy Robin

Rex Strong

I'm surprised nobody threw in Roy St Clair for good measure.

On the positive side it is great to know we have the following fifties greats who are contributors to this site:  Al Tarzo, Tony Scarlo, Adrian Street, Dennis Mitchell, Dwight J. Ingleburgh, Harry Kendall.

--

July 26, 2013 at 5:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Bernard Hughes

Hi Anglo. For the thick ones like me- please explain.

Do you think that they are not Heritage greats, are not with us today, or more likely were not active in the 1950's?

--

July 27, 2013 at 6:39 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.