WRESTLING HERITAGE

British wrestling history 

has a name

Heritage

Forums

Forum Home > Talk Wrestling > Carlisle 1950s

The Riot Squad
Site Owner
We saw the splendid Logan v McManus poster from Ron yesterday. Now Ron has added a new album to the Galleries of Carlisle wrestling adverts from the 1950s. As entry takes readers through the .com site it isn't affected by the CAPTCHA issue.
--

British wrestling history has a name - HERITAGE

May 23, 2018 at 2:38 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ron Historyo

Our members are so spread out do we even have anyone who knows anything about this venue.

What was this promoters relationship with Relwyskow , Morrell and Wryton to get these wrestlers.

In one simple picture this is all I know about the promoter. Look at our Cruiser Champ Les Kellet

--

HISTORYO

Time Detective and Multi Heritage Award Winner

May 23, 2018 at 4:34 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Bernard Hughes

Hi Ron. Re your poster.

Les was never billed like that at Newcastle, figment of the promoters imagination to drum up trade? As far as I was aware, Les ,although capable never held a title.

Can anyone say from records where he won these titles  and from whom?

By the way I always said that he came from Edinburgh even though many people corrected me and said that he was Yorkshire born and lived in Bradford.

--

May 23, 2018 at 5:17 PM Flag Quote & Reply

powerlock
The venue opened in the late 1880s as well as wrestling it was used as a concert venue. In 2008 it once again became a retail site with around 100 small businesses
May 23, 2018 at 5:32 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ron Historyo

Forgot to mention that it was George Rel that started pro wrestling in Carlisle in the 1930's. First venue looks to be the Drill Hall.

It figures really seeing as he had most of Scotland.

--

HISTORYO

May 24, 2018 at 3:05 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Anglo Italian

I think Les clearly had an Edinburgh connection, but also such a distinct Yorkshire accent that you couldn't have thought of him as a Scot.

Mind you, McManus was Anglo Irish and Steve Haggetty Canadian - so we just don't know where fantasy began.

--

Still trying to work out what was going on!

May 24, 2018 at 4:56 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Bernard Hughes

Hi Anglo, If Ron could find out for sure, I think that you will find that Les was born in Edinburgh.

--

May 24, 2018 at 5:05 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ron Historyo

Bernard Hughes at May 24, 2018 at 5:05 PM

Hi Anglo, If Ron could find out for sure, I think that you will find that Les was born in Edinburgh.

Hi Bernard , I did a quick research on Kellett.

He and Arthur were born Bradford and their parents were also Bradford. Dad was Gathorne Kellett a boiler maker and mum was Sarah Ann Farrar.

There must be a Scotland link , maybe national service as Les was one of only a few wrestling friends at George Kidd's wedding.

--

HISTORYO

May 26, 2018 at 5:09 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Bernard Hughes

Hi Ron, Thank you,I stand corrected. I am sure that Kellett was first billed at Newcastle as being from Edinburgh, But as you say it might have been work or forces posting up there.

--

May 26, 2018 at 6:43 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Bernard Hughes

Hi Ron, I tried to look at the first few times that Kellett was billed at Newcastle using Ray's amazing results service, but unfortunately your Newcastle gallery does not go that far back.

I think that Les' first billing there was 31/3/45(if you fancy a search) and he was pretty regular at about once per month up to about early 1956.

Incidentally, I came across a match in 1945 where he was billed to fight Billy Joyce !    That is a bit of a mismatch, surely?

Perhaps someone that I spoke to in the crowd said that he was from Edinburgh, having picked it up from an early bill. But I am sure that I did hear or read it somewhere. Thanks for trying.

--

May 26, 2018 at 7:08 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ron Historyo

Hi Bernard , the Newcastle stuff on the Heritage Galleries goes right back into the 1930's. so enjoy a look.

I had a quick look and found this. You will laugh at the billing.

Also you are not wrong , I will give you an example of him billed from Edinburgh

not a mistake either

--

HISTORYO

May 26, 2018 at 7:33 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ron Historyo

Here is Les billed from Edinburgh

--

HISTORYO

May 26, 2018 at 7:43 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ron Historyo

And if you want some outrageous billing try this report from 1940. Trust Norman Morrell to be mixed up in it.

--

HISTORYO

May 26, 2018 at 7:54 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Bernard Hughes

Thanks Ron. Well there you go, and I thought that promoters never lied.

Well that was when i was 12 !

--

May 26, 2018 at 9:02 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Anglo Italian

We pore over the bills but the fact that Les was at George Kidd's wedding overtrumps all that.

Thanks for that nugget, Ron.

Quality above quantity.

--

Still trying to work out what was going on!

May 26, 2018 at 9:30 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ron Historyo

Here is another nugget or two Anglo. The wrestlers at George Kidd's wedding in 1949 were Kellett , Chick Purvey and Norman Walsh , also boxer Johnny Owens.

There is a 1939 register where Les gives a date of birth as 20th december 1915 and lived at 21 Southfield Avenue Bradford and worked then as a slaughterman. 

His father must have seen how great he became as he was almost 90 when he died in 1982.

--

HISTORYO

May 26, 2018 at 10:19 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ron Historyo

We kind of strayed off the Carlisle theme of the thread , and no harm in that especially when we are finding nuggets.

So here are George Kidd with two of his wedding guests ,  Chic and Norman in a bout at Carlisle.  

--

HISTORYO

May 26, 2018 at 10:51 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ron Historyo

Ron Historyo at May 26, 2018 at 10:19 AM

Here is another nugget or two Anglo. The wrestlers at George Kidd's wedding in 1949 were Kellett , Chick Purvey and Norman Walsh , also boxer Johnny Owens.

There is a 1939 register where Les gives a date of birth as 20th december 1915 and lived at 21 Southfield Avenue Bradford and worked then as a slaughterman. 

His father must have seen how great he became as he was almost 90 when he died in 1982.

Appologies for a bit of inaccurancy in the above statement. There were actually two Les Kellet's born in 1915 in Bradford and the one mentioned at the address here is not our Les.

The family were actually at 40 Gibson Street , Bradford in 1939 but no sign of Les. This could be a clue that he may have been in Scotland. I think Les did merchant Navy.

So born earlier than I said 11th May 1915 in Bradford and not a slaughterman 

Wikipedia had his mother correct but states his father to be Bill Kellett. I believe Gaythorne is correct , maybe he used the name Bill.

--

HISTORYO

May 26, 2018 at 1:09 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Bernard Hughes

Ron Please could I ask you to do me a personal favour.?

Could you please research where Norman Walsh was born? This follows on from him being at Kidd's wedding and being billed from Perth.

Thanks for your help if you can.

--

May 27, 2018 at 11:22 AM Flag Quote & Reply

paul mitchell
Ron I admire your research and hope you can help Bernard,here's a mystery as I know you love them re Les he mentioned Leith which I believe is in Scotland ,but questioned once about a street in Salford which I didn't know and wanted details about St Luke's in Weaste which I did,incidently was there a royal navy glasshouse in Edinburgh.
May 27, 2018 at 12:24 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.