WRESTLING HERITAGE

British wrestling history 

has a name

Heritage

Forums

Forum Home > Talk Wrestling > Which wrestler was guaranteed to liven up a dull show?

Romeo

If you could pick just one wrestler to liven things up who would it be?Many contenders but for me it would always be Bill Howes.Who would be your choice?

--

Romeo

Lightweight Champion Belt

Wrestling Heritage Welterweight Belt Holder

Pallo Junior Award (10)

Middleweight Championship Belt (2)

Heavy-Middleweight Championship Belt

May 12, 2018 at 9:09 AM Flag Quote & Reply

matey dave

gladys the impaler with her valet

--

blessed are the pacemakers

really do need my medication

more tea vicar and another jammy dodger

nurse, i need changing and my complan has gone cold

close friend of gladys the impaler

May 12, 2018 at 11:07 AM Flag Quote & Reply

frank thomas
Hans Streiger without a shadow of a doubt. No nodding off or slipping out while he was on!
May 12, 2018 at 11:30 AM Flag Quote & Reply

powerlock
Mark Rocco or Adrian Street, never a dull moment when either of them were on the bill
May 12, 2018 at 11:58 AM Flag Quote & Reply

ballymoss

The one and only Alan Garfield never failed to make an impression. 

--
May 12, 2018 at 2:17 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ron Historyo

I would have chosen Howes  , but for an alternative based on my time at Belle Vue , Ginsberg and Joynson were great value for money.

--

HISTORYO

Time Detective and Multi Heritage Award Winner

May 12, 2018 at 4:12 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Bernard Hughes

You wanted to liven up a show? Send for the best man to do it----Jack Pye.

Also likely to get the whole crowd going ? The Ghoul. That's the one that i always talk about.

--

May 12, 2018 at 5:13 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Anglo Italian

Yes, Ballymoss, this was Alan Garfield's focus, wan't it.

Hard to know where the quiet bill has begun, if Kellett or Nagasaki were on, it wasn't quiet.  So I suppose we're looking for an undercarder.

I'll throw in Joe Murphy.  Seemed to despise the audience, which was enough for them to despise him.

--

Still trying to work out what was going on!

May 13, 2018 at 2:24 AM Flag Quote & Reply

ballymoss

I would also nominate Lee "Flash" Edwards. He made his entrance to the ring with a arragant strut which upset even the most timid of crowds.Of course, his "grandstanding" antics in the ring maintained this impression. Although a blond Canadian, he was a first-rate "heel" in the All American tradition!

--
May 13, 2018 at 9:53 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Bernard Hughes

Hi Anglo, If you want an undercarder, try the brilliant Bernard...........Murray!

Guaranteed to get the crowd going from round 1

--

May 13, 2018 at 11:55 AM Flag Quote & Reply

powerlock
Peter tally ho Kaye was pretty good at livening up the crowd, and winding people up from the moment he got in the ring
May 13, 2018 at 2:45 PM Flag Quote & Reply

frank thomas

powerlock at May 13, 2018 at 2:45 PM

Peter tally ho Kaye was pretty good at livening up the crowd, and winding people up from the moment he got in the ring

And a reliable & trusted worker!
May 13, 2018 at 7:25 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Anglo Italian

Tell us about Bernard, Bernard.

I know the virtually invisible and unmemorable referee.

And the frequent comment that Les Kellett copied his routine.

What was he like as a wrestler and how did he get the crowd going?

--

May 14, 2018 at 1:45 AM Flag Quote & Reply

frank

Mark Rocco was the best I ever saw, Kendo was always good value, The caribbean sunshine boys (Dave Bond and Johnny Kincade) nearly always caused a near riot, John Quinn with his anti English act was just great, Marty Jones, Sid Cooper, Jim Breaks, Kung fu, And last and by every means least Big Daddy would always liven up a show but for the life of me I could never see the attraction, small lovable tag partner gets beaten senseless just about tags Daddy, belly bump belly bump splash all over crowd goes wild, how they ever got away with that utter rubbish for so long is beyond me. zzzzzzzz

May 14, 2018 at 4:59 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Bernard Hughes

Hi Anglo. Bernard Murray was a very skillful wrestler who could give anyone from Welterweight down a hard match.

I am sure that he could have beaten many of those that he lost to.

However he seemed to have a knack on picking up his opponents mannerisms and also their favourite moves. Coming to the moves first,

he would put on the same hold but it always seemed more painful to his opponent,.

When I said he got the crowd going, I didn't mean uproar like Jack Pye, breaking every rule in the book, he got the crowd laughing and shouting, because he was just so funny, but as I said ,very able.

He was just a brilliant second fight man, but never right at the top. Unfortunately, but perhaps that was how he liked it.

--

May 14, 2018 at 11:31 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Hack

Jack Cassidy. Those bleedin' guns.

--

British wrestling - great characters but the plot was always a bit of a mystery.

May 14, 2018 at 4:28 PM Flag Quote & Reply

I Pringle heavy middleweight champion

Romeo Joe Critchley always gave great value for all the public

--

May 15, 2018 at 12:29 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Anglo Italian

Thanks Bernard, interesting.  I'm surprised to hear you mention Bernard Murray's toughness because he seemed so tiny and unathletic.  But I was seeing him as a fifty-something referee.

Always appreciate your memories of before my time.

--

May 15, 2018 at 4:03 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hack

We have so many to chose from because that was their job and so many did it well. I mentioned Cassidy, could have mentioned Dominic Pye or any of many villains.

The real class were the ones who could get us going without doing anything. Sneering Steve Haggetty could get us going and convince us what a villain he was yet go through a whole match without breaking a rule.

--

British wrestling - great characters but the plot was always a bit of a mystery.

May 16, 2018 at 4:28 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sapper James

Cyanide Sid Cooper was humourous and would involve the crowd. Kendo would really liven things up.

May 17, 2018 at 3:31 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.