Forum Home > Talk Wrestling > Parts 9 and 10 Now Launched - Out of Darkness

The Riot Squad
Site Owner

--

British wrestling history has a name - HERITAGE

May 14, 2018 at 5:40 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hack

I've just noticed Ruslan has introduced himself in the Introduce Yourself topic

http://www.wrestlingheritage.co.uk/apps/forums/topics/show/13435912-introduce-yourself

The Birth of Catch starts tomorrow.

--

British wrestling - great characters but the plot was always a bit of a mystery.

May 19, 2018 at 3:03 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ron Historyo

Get your maps out and see where it all really did start.

Ruslan has made some significant discoveries that are well worth knowing about.

--

HISTORYO

Time Detective and Multi Heritage Award Winner

May 19, 2018 at 4:48 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ruslan Pashayev

Hi Ron, just added Intro Part II - about my Hero - The Lancashire Wrestler - Dockum of Bury.

May 19, 2018 at 11:47 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ron Historyo

Find out who Dockum was soon. These names tickle me pink.

--

HISTORYO

May 19, 2018 at 3:09 PM Flag Quote & Reply

The Riot Squad
Site Owner

Every now and again something special comes along. Today is one of those days. We are very excited about the launch of our new series, The Story of Catch in the Timeline section of www.wrestlingheritage.com.

Ruslan Pashayev has been studying the history of wrestling since around 2005. He has now chosen to share much of his research with Heritage readers.

Ruslan has traced the origins of Catch as Catch Can style wrestling in Lancashire and made some startling discoveries.

Where and when did it all start? When did wrestling become a professional sport? Ruslan challenges many of our conventional beliefs.

It's a fascinating story. Parts 1 and 2 have now launched. Give it a try. We guarantee your views of wrestling will never be quite the same again.

Out of Darkness - The Story of Catch

--

British wrestling history has a name - HERITAGE

May 20, 2018 at 4:18 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ron Historyo

Marvellous revelation that during the 1840's wrestling in Wigan was not yet popular.

Ruslan mentions people from Bury , Bolton and in particular Oldham and also Ashton and many of the towns and villages in all these areas. That was an eye opener for me.

Catch as Catch Can wrestling was the way of a sport being born out of Brutal Lancashire Fighting that became illegal. Fair Play enabled it to survive in an entertainment form.

--

HISTORYO

May 20, 2018 at 4:39 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Hack

This is a world away from cheering on Steve Viedor or booing Mick McManus. I do admit that when Ruslan first got in touch with us it was a world that I found hard to either understand or get excited about. But this story is worth a bit of effort. I was amazed to find that Catch as Catch Can wrestling in Lancashire did not originate from Wigan. I guess that's the shock expose of part 1. Yet each new episode brings something new and surprising. 

It's fascinating stuff Ruslan, congratulations. Thanks also to Ron who helped guide Ruslan and encouraged him to share his work on Heritage.

--

British wrestling - great characters but the plot was always a bit of a mystery.

May 20, 2018 at 10:53 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ruslan Pashayev

Dear Hack and Ron, thanks so much for your kindest words, my appreciation. And very special thanks for the opportunity to share my research with Heritage members. 

May 20, 2018 at 12:30 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ruslan Pashayev

yes Ron, you are right, Lancashire Catch Wrestling is basically a wrestling part of Lancashire Fighting. In Lancashire Fighting match combatants would give each other couple of blows then usually get in the close quarters, using a wrestling clinch and soon both will be on the pavement. Then the real fighing starts brutal fight where ALL is IN.

May 20, 2018 at 12:33 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ruslan Pashayev

In Lancashire Up and Down Fighting such methods as kicking, headbutting, hanging, throttling, even gouging and biting were ALLOWED tactics. And we can see that earliest Lancashire Catch wrestlers when there were NO rules yet were still actively applying all those methods of settling the dispute.

May 20, 2018 at 12:36 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ruslan Pashayev

The challenge of those days would sound like - Dear so and so I would Wrestle and Fight You....challenge like that meant its gonna be Up and Down Lancashire All In Fighting.

May 20, 2018 at 12:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ruslan Pashayev

Lancashire Fighting was 100% illegal sport, participants and organizers if caught by police would have to pay high penalties. A lot of damage, injuries even deaths were becoming more and more common outcomes of that "sport".It just couldnt continue like that. In the 1700's those contests were part of local Lancashire rushbearing festivals, wakes etc.Organizers of the events were  - BEER SELLERS.

May 20, 2018 at 12:45 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ruslan Pashayev

They couldnt lose their income, so catch came into existence. It was their way of solving the problem of running illegal sport.Now it was legal  - and it was called WRESTLING LANCASHIRE FASHION, CATCH AS CATCH CAN. Interesting how they used the term which was already well known around the country especially in Nottingham and London wrestling Rings. Also Cornsh style was refered as catch with only one exception, holds were applied on the clothes - jackets. But in London and Nottingham holds were applied directly on the flesh, with ONE exception - AS IN PRIZE RING  NO HOLDS BELOW THE WAIST ALLOWED.

May 20, 2018 at 12:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ruslan Pashayev

As we understand in Lancashire Catch - HOLDS OF ANY PART OF THE BODY INCLUDING LEGS were totally fine as well as ground wrestling was essential part of it WHICH was so unique and new. Before that fair back falls existed...as well as their substitute 3 go downs for one fair back fall. BUT there was NO ground wrestling. Ground Wrestling in England existed ONLY in Lancashire Fighting format.

May 20, 2018 at 12:52 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ruslan Pashayev

Just IMAGINE - the 1842 report - one catch wrestler challenges another BUT makes sure - the following techniques arent going to be applied - hoofing, mouthing, or putting in the damper...those words do sound scary to me...by the way grabbing opponent ears and tearing mouths were ESSENTIAL part of those contests since all those techniques were accepted in Lancashire Fighting.

May 20, 2018 at 12:57 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ruslan Pashayev

And another important thing - original Lancashire Catch Wrestlers were wearing SPIKED PUMPS...in the famous 1839 match between Glossop and Oldham men...Oldhamite forced his opponent away by breaking his wrists hold with putting his foot against the arm of his adversary - HIS SHOES WERE ALL STUDDED WITH PRICKLES. Its NOT a JOKE.

May 20, 2018 at 1:05 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ruslan Pashayev

Editors of popular London sport paper Bell's Life make decision - NOT TO ADVERTISE LANCASHIRE CATCH WRESTLING MATCHES...ONCE THEY FIGURED WHAT ITS LIKE.

May 20, 2018 at 1:09 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ruslan Pashayev

And now the most important part, territories, no doubts about that it was East Lancashire, Greater Manchester towns namely Bolton, Bury, Middleton, Rochdale, Ashton and Oldham.Those towns were HEART OF LANCASHIRE FIGHTING AND THATS WHERE LANCASHIRE CATCH WRESTLING COMES FROM. All those towns were part of historical Salford Hundred...BUT Blackburn and Darwen was also on the map.

May 20, 2018 at 1:33 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Mark Reynard

Some time ago I wrote and said I had discovered the work of Ron Historio and liked it a lot. I'd never imagined finding an interest in wrestling history/

Now this series has taken me further back and I love it. How do you know all this stuff Ruslan? Bring on part 3.

May 20, 2018 at 2:47 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.