British wrestling history 

has a name

Heritage

Forums

Forum Home > Talk Wrestling > 1964 Wrestling in Vienna

Anglo Italian

I came across this B&W footage that features Crusher Verdu and Roy Bull Davis:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3X5dtjIypA

At just 4 seconds isn't that Wild Angus getting drop-kicked?

In the second half I was sure I could see Masambula, too, at 7:15.  But that couldn't be possible.

I also saw a wrestler who was a dead ringer for Mal Kirk at 6:44.

Any thoughts?

--

Still trying to work out what was going on!

April 16, 2018 at 5:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

The Ost

I have some results from Germany from 1964, but not Austria.

I can tell you that Crusher Verdu won a tournament in Vienna in 1965. Wild Angus wrestled as Rasputin I and won a tournament in Bremen, Germany in 1965 as well. I have him winning two tournaments in 1968. 

Here are two example cards from 1964, lots of familiar names:

June 30th, 1964 – Wiesbaden, Germany: Horst Hoffman beat John Da Silva Rene Lasartesse beat Leif Rasmussen Jose Arroyo beat Franz Orlik Fritz Muller beat Tibor Szakacs Gedeon Gida beat Sky Hi Lee

July 30th, 1964 – Nuremberg, Germany: Billy Robinson beat Fritz Muller Gedeon Gida drew Horst Hoffman Tibor Szakacs beat Hans Dillinger Josef Kovacs beat Al Rodgoa Leif Rasmussen beat Sean Regan Ray Apollon beat Jose Arroyo

--

April 16, 2018 at 6:44 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ron Historyo

Anglo Italian at April 16, 2018 at 5:37 PM

I came across this B&W footage that features Crusher Verdu and Roy Bull Davis:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3X5dtjIypA

At just 4 seconds isn't that Wild Angus getting drop-kicked?

In the second half I was sure I could see Masambula, too, at 7:15.  But that couldn't be possible.

I also saw a wrestler who was a dead ringer for Mal Kirk at 6:44.

Any thoughts?

What you talk about is is the next caption Anglo. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sEo2tZQNeQ

Sure looks to be Angus.

The Mal Kirk one is so like him many years later with his Kojak guise and I can't recall that guy but looks famiiar

The one you think looks like Masambula , I wonder if it is Zimba when he was lighter in weight.

The fans look as though they are really enjoying it.

--

HISTORYO

Time Detective and Multi Heritage Award Winner

April 17, 2018 at 4:16 AM Flag Quote & Reply

SaxonWolf

Yes that has to be Angus.

Crusher Verdu at the 1.15 mark?

6 minute mark, yes it looks more like a younger slimmer Zimba to me, although Prince Kumali was often wrestling in the German tournaments in the mid 60's, with the height and build, is it a young Prince Kumali?

Gideon Gida or maybe Hans Dillinger  vs Peter Kayser?  (baldng dark hair vs shaved head)

Axel Dieter maybe one of the tag team wrestlers?

7.57 mark could be Jose Marques

Nice find by the way, a nice social documentary from a time when the whole world seemed to love wrestling.  Similar to the UK, the audience there was young, old, men, women, boys, girls, and all dressed up for a night out.

April 17, 2018 at 4:36 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SaxonWolf

In fact scrap that, it is too tall to be Zimba, I think it is Ray Apollon.

April 17, 2018 at 4:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Anglo Italian

Thanks Saxonwolf.

Certainly not Zimba or Kumali in the facial shots, nor Masambula.  But the cross-press on the guy with the leopardskin trunks certainly does look like Masambula and is too lithe to be the same Ray Appolon.

And thanks The Ost, interesting stuff.  Sean Regan in Germany before he ever wrestled in Britain, I imagine?  Must have been studying German, which he went on to teach.  Tibor less invincible there than he was at the time in UK.  We have few records of Tibor travelling, he must have been sure of his visa status at the time.  

--

April 18, 2018 at 1:31 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SaxonWolf

The more you look at it, the more the German and Austrian tournaments were probably the "recruiting grounds" that led to various wrestlers being offered the chance to go on to other countries to make a few quid.   Wrestler comes over to the tournament, sees a good worker (and I assume has a few beers with him and sees he is a good lad), goes back to his country and recommends him to various bookers/promoters.

April 18, 2018 at 3:35 PM Flag Quote & Reply

The Ost

It seemes like they always had a good mix of talent from various nations. Lots of British wrestlers and wrestlers who made names for themselves in the UK. I have some 50s results from Germany with Joe Robinson on them. 

--

April 18, 2018 at 4:56 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Anglo Italian

Thanks Ron, yes, your link is the one I meant.

Another to identify there is the wrestler sporting the Union Jack at 42 seconds?

--

April 18, 2018 at 5:38 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SaxonWolf

Anglo, I think I may have solved our "Zimba/Kumali/Apollon" wrestler in the clip, looking at the build, muscles,  hairline and moustache, I think it is Jaime Dula, who appears in the A-Z on this site. Aregular in the tournament circuit.

Take a look and see what you think.

April 18, 2018 at 6:57 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SaxonWolf

Anglo Italian at April 18, 2018 at 5:38 PM

Another to identify there is the wrestler sporting the Union Jack at 42 seconds?

Anglo, if you look at the wrestler with the Union Jack, look at the shape of his face, and then imagine him without the moustache and beard, I think it looks like Bob Taylor, in the A-Z, who did wrestle in Germany and Austria in the tournaments.

April 18, 2018 at 7:29 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SaxonWolf

I was right about Oscar Verdu, he wrestled in Austria in the tournaments in 1964, under the name Rick Ferarro.

I think I am alos correct about Jaime Dula, who I have found wrestling in 1964 in Austrian tournaments as Jimmy Dula.

Also in the tournaments that year, Ken Davies and his son Jim (Gwyn Davies) McTiffin were around in July and August.  A nice "Dad and Lad" holiday!

April 18, 2018 at 7:39 PM Flag Quote & Reply

The Ost

Jamie Dula worked the tournaments there from the early 50s all the way through to the mid 1970s. I have found him winning 11 different tournaments.

SaxonWolf, please let me know if you find the winners of the Austrian tournaments of 1964, I don't have that information.

--

April 18, 2018 at 7:51 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SaxonWolf

The Ost at April 18, 2018 at 7:51 PM

Jamie Dula worked the tournaments there from the early 50s all the way through to the mid 1970s. I have found him winning 11 different tournaments.

SaxonWolf, please let me know if you find the winners of the Austrian tournaments of 1964, I don't have that information.

Hi Ost

Axel Dieter (senior) won one in 1964 in Klagenfurt.  Let me see what else I can find.

April 18, 2018 at 8:01 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SaxonWolf

I think another of our bald headed wrestlers could be Johnny Stein, who wrestled (with a beard) as Kurt von Stroheim.

April 18, 2018 at 8:02 PM Flag Quote & Reply

The Ost

SaxonWolf at April 18, 2018 at 8:01 PM

The Ost at April 18, 2018 at 7:51 PM

Hi Ost

Axel Dieter (senior) won one in 1964 in Klagenfurt.  Let me see what else I can find.

Great, thank you. This is what I have so far for tournaments and winners of 1964:

1964 Berlin Paul Berger

1964 Berlin Rudi Saturski European championship

1964 Karlsrhue 2 Billy Robinson

1964 Frankfurt Hans-Richard Behrens

1964 Krefeld 2 Billy Robinson

1964 Hannover Hans-Richard Behrens

1964 Karlsuhe Horst Hoffman Großer Jubilums-Preis von Karlsruhe

1964 Krefeld Horst Hoffman Großer Jubilums-Preis von Krefeld

1964 Lübeck Horst Hoffman Lübecker Turnier

1964 Wiesbaden Horst Hoffman Deutsche Meisterschaft

1964 Köln Horst Hoffman Preis der Nationen

1964 Nürnberg Horst Hoffman Europameisterschaft

1964 Münster Horst Hoffman Münster Turnier

1964 Hamburg Billy Robinson (IBV)

1964 Hamburg 2 Horst Hoffman Preis der Nationen (IBV)

1964 Hamburg 3 not completed

1964 Oldenburg Horst Hoffman Catch Handicap

1964 Klagenfurt, AUT Axel Deter Sr

(apologies for formatting issues i'm still getting to grips with this site)

--

April 19, 2018 at 7:28 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Anglo Italian

Now that is a great spot Saxonwolf, I wholeheartedly agree on Jaime Dula.   But I still think he's too chunky to be  at 7:15;   that could still be Masambula.  See in the A-Z that he was a bill-topper in UK, so it all fits in.

We knew about Rick Ferraro as early as 1959, I believe;  he must have become Crusher Verdu shortly after this 1964 tourney.

Bob Taylor's another good call, especially when you look at his write-up.  Mind you, we have mis-described the dropkick photo because that looks like Linde Caulder.  We'll have to check that out.  So many Taylors around, hardly surprising there's confusion.

--

April 19, 2018 at 12:53 PM Flag Quote & Reply

david franklin

SaxonWolf at April 18, 2018 at 7:29 PM

Anglo Italian at April 18, 2018 at 5:38 PM

Anglo, if you look at the wrestler with the Union Jack, look at the shape of his face, and then imagine him without the moustache and beard, I think it looks like Bob Taylor, in the A-Z, who did wrestle in Germany and Austria in the tournaments.

My guess for the bearded guy with the Union Jack would be Ken Davies, Gwyn Davies father. It does not look like Bob Taylor at all.

April 20, 2018 at 3:01 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.