WRESTLING HERITAGE

British wrestling history 

has a name

Heritage

Forums

Forum Home > Talk Wrestling > Champions NCB

paul mitchell
Joint pre Max took great pride in belt holders ,but got to thinking of are titles and holders I can name a fair few ,some even fought for,but bed ever has to be the holder of NCB central area fighting out of Chanters any ideas the holder mentioned this with pride and amusement so who was heand what other area titles and holders are remembered.
April 15, 2018 at 10:06 AM Flag Quote & Reply

paul mitchell
N C B meaning National coal board,Chanters pit was in Atherton so I'm wondering if this was ever mentioned in a programme ,doubt it would be used on a poster,no obscure name this one,got felling it was mentioned in national newspaper,so maybe Ron knows ,clues to follow.On the other part of my query didnt anyone ever see an area title match,Bruno did a few but iv got some names of holders that may cause surprise oh and some that actually were won and defended.
April 15, 2018 at 12:19 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ron Historyo

Can't shed any light on Chanters Paul. As for area champions Dale Martin seemed to like them although I am quite far back with examples.

The Southern Area Welter champion before Mick McManus was Jack Quesick.

In the 1950's Francis Gregory was Western area Heavy Champ , Tony Mancelli Southern area Champ , and in the North we had Jack Atherton , Harry Brooks and Dave Armstrong and I am sure more, and East Area was Clem Lawrence..

Jack Taylor claimed Central Area , Kid Pitman was Southern Area Middle Weight Champ.

--

HISTORYO

Time Detective and Multi Heritage Award Winner

April 15, 2018 at 1:31 PM Flag Quote & Reply

maskedmummy
Al Hayes and Ray Fury Southern area champs not forgetting Roy Bull Davis and Steve Young both billed as Western Area champs
April 15, 2018 at 1:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

JNLister

They obviously missed a trick with the NCB Area title: they could have kept it going until the mid-80s and then had young Ian McGregor as the final titleholder.

April 16, 2018 at 5:02 AM Flag Quote & Reply

I Pringle heavy middleweight champion

Re NCB. champions.

Inclueded in a hand out photo years was a paragraph stating  he was a NCB. amatuer champion  I wonder if this might be inclued in the item by Paul.

Regards to all. Ian Pringle

--

April 16, 2018 at 12:26 PM Flag Quote & Reply

I Pringle heavy middleweight champion

Hi all Ian P here again. I forgot to mention the wrestlers name ( silly me ) . It was JOE CRITCHLEY .

Bye again Ian p.

--

April 16, 2018 at 12:31 PM Flag Quote & Reply

frank thomas
Bill Clark, ex King Kendo, Lincolnshire Poacher with "brother" Ron, was billed as the Eastern Area Heavyweight Champion, and Wayne Bridges was billed as champion of Kent.
April 16, 2018 at 3:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Anglo Italian

And Jim Hussey was the Northern Area Heavyweight Champion.

Pat Roach of the Midlands with perhaps Max Ward holding that title in the fifties.  But it's all a bit sketchy.

There just seemed to be 4 southern area titles, with no light, heavy-middle or mid-heavyweight belts.

Peter Rann suddenly became invincible when defending his title, which he did from time to time.  Like Bruno and Viedor, Rann was a Northerner holding the southern area title.

Years ago we had a very lengthy "Regional Titles" topic and it was the Commonwealth Mid-Heavyweight belt which was intriguing.  As we have seen with Ct Bartelli, there were all sorts of Commonwealth games with wrestling titles...

--

Still trying to work out what was going on!

April 16, 2018 at 4:50 PM Flag Quote & Reply

The Ost

Thanks for this topic, I am currently trying to piece together the various Regional titles.

--

April 16, 2018 at 6:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Anglo Italian

....don't look too hard for any logical structure!!!

--

Still trying to work out what was going on!

April 18, 2018 at 1:32 PM Flag Quote & Reply

The Ost

No, I won't, the titles seem to appear on programs at random intervals. Occasionally they are won and lost.

--

April 18, 2018 at 4:59 PM Flag Quote & Reply

paul mitchell
Well the Alsatian training pitman who was NCB champion out of Chanters Colliery was non other than Ivan Pencecoff ,Ronnie used to live relating this,ill throw in some Northern Champions,well at least ,on bailey brothers paper were in no logical order Paul Carpentier,Terry O Neil,Johhny Locke,AlanWood, more to follow.
May 1, 2018 at 10:41 AM Flag Quote & Reply

frank thomas

paul mitchell at May 1, 2018 at 10:41 AM

Well the Alsatian training pitman who was NCB champion out of Chanters Colliery was non other than Ivan Pencecoff ,Ronnie used to live relating this,ill throw in some Northern Champions,well at least ,on bailey brothers paper were in no logical order Paul Carpentier,Terry O Neil,Johhny Locke,AlanWood, more to follow.

Always loved watching Ivan, Paul and Alan Wood, a vastly underrated wrestler, who always seemed to take it "seriously"
May 3, 2018 at 2:58 PM Flag Quote & Reply

grahambrook

Is it within the broad church of this topic to recall that, although I never billed him as such, there were promoters at the time who billed Lee Sharron as the Jewish heavyweight champion?

--

May 6, 2018 at 8:27 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Hack

grahambrook at May 6, 2018 at 8:27 AM

Is it within the broad church of this topic to recall that, although I never billed him as such, there were promoters at the time who billed Lee Sharron as the Jewish heavyweight champion?

Jewish? Champion?

This was wrestling.

--

British wrestling - great characters but the plot was always a bit of a mystery.

May 6, 2018 at 5:25 PM Flag Quote & Reply

frank thomas

Hack at May 6, 2018 at 5:25 PM

grahambrook at May 6, 2018 at 8:27 AM

Jewish? Champion?

This was wrestling.

Certainly was Hack, indeed forum favourite Eddie Rose & Mickey Gold were billed by Cowboy Jack Cassidy as "The Jewish Tag Team Champions" on a bill
May 6, 2018 at 5:28 PM Flag Quote & Reply

The Ost

Yes the concept of Jewish champions was a strange one. One such billing that amused me was Abe Jacobs, billed as the Jewish champ in New York. He was from the Chatham Islands off the coast of New Zealand.

--

May 6, 2018 at 6:42 PM Flag Quote & Reply

David Mantell

Not so wierd when you consider that there were often sports clubs set up in Jewish communities to cater specifically for the community (such as the Macabbee sporting clubs) and that this happened on both sides of the Atlantic.  Even to this day there is a world Jewish games held in Israel every few years with teams representing various diaspora communities and a whiole league of amateur football clubs organised by Jewish community youth clubs. 

So it would have been believable to the public a few decades ago that some of the Macabbee Sporting Clubs could have held professional-rules wrestling tournaments and crowned commnunity champions - who ultimately might have taken part in competitions to crown Worldwide Jewish Community wrestling champions - at different weights.

May 6, 2018 at 9:33 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Paul

The area titles always intruiged me since i saw Alan J Batt billed as southern area champion sometime in the 1980's. I guess with so many promotions and wrestlers working in a more localised area, they made a lot of sense. Has the demise of the area titles been discussed? Was it due to greater wrestling mobility? Was it down the so many promotions coming under Joint control? Did the loss of reigonal titles lead to the watering down of the value of British and world titles?

June 17, 2018 at 8:31 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.