WRESTLING HERITAGE

British wrestling history 

has a name

Heritage

Forums

Forum Home > Talk Wrestling > Household names in their 50s

paul mitchell
So who went on to long and who with Grecian 2000 and a vest carried it off well.
April 10, 2018 at 10:41 AM Flag Quote & Reply

frank thomas
Heard it said(but not by me) that Count Bartelli went on too long, he had great ring presence and was much loved.. Don't know about the Grecian 2000 though!
April 10, 2018 at 1:39 PM Flag Quote & Reply

paul mitchell
Shhhh I do Frank. I could make a list by weights ,thereby protecting the guilty.
April 10, 2018 at 2:07 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ron Historyo

Steve Logan

--

HISTORYO

Time Detective and Multi Heritage Award Winner

April 10, 2018 at 2:47 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hack
I'm one for saying that Bartelli went on for too long. But many were guilty... McManus, Kwango, Capelli, Knowles, Dempsey .......
--

British wrestling - great characters but the plot was always a bit of a mystery.

April 10, 2018 at 3:36 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Anglo Italian

Take out Capelli because he could still do the biz.  McManus was clever enough to appear to do the biz.  Kwango and Logan were grim towards the end.  But we enjoyed seeing them in the flesh and in the ring.  An element of appearance money was fair enough.  Would we have preferred them to retire and disappear?  I think not.

Paul's mischievous thread seems to be taking a pot shot at McManus?  But wasn't successful and wealthy McManus the very embodiment of what every wrestler from above Watford Gap hated about Southerners?

He also worked very nicely with Breaks, Royals, Dennisons, Catweazles, and plenty of other non-Southerners (  ☺  ) on a regular basis.

We moan about Torontos and Jack Dempsey and latter-day Logan and others for their poor workrate:  never a word about McManus.  He only stayed around as long as he could perform to an acceptable level.

--

Still trying to work out what was going on!

April 10, 2018 at 3:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Anglo Italian

Paul - did you ever share a ring with McManus?

--

April 10, 2018 at 3:52 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hack
Capelli I only saw on tv, which might well have been unfair on him.I just remember Kent telling us how wonderful and me thinking no he's not until he lost. McManus is an odd one.I always thought he was old. And boring. You allude to that earlier Anglo Italian. But now we can see him in action again it's easier to appreciate what a good villain he was. Still predictable though. Some more names to throw in ... Gorilla Reg Ray, Pedro the Gypsy, Les Kellett, Shirley Crabtree, Jack Pye, if we include his 1970 comeback.
--

British wrestling - great characters but the plot was always a bit of a mystery.

April 10, 2018 at 4:34 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Bernard Hughes

It was certainly McManus that paul mentioned with the Grecian 2000.

I saw Capelli a few times in the early days and as i said before I rated him up with the leading welterweights at that time.

Who went on too long?Jack  Atherton and Ernie Baldwin are 2 for starters.

--

April 10, 2018 at 4:53 PM Flag Quote & Reply

David Mantell

> We moan about Torontos and Jack Dempsey and latter-day Logan

WHO moans about Tommy Moore?  He was one of the Wigan Snakepit legends and he and Ernie Riley still looked in great shape when they wrestled each other in that First Tuesday docu.  He was uncompromisingly no-nonsense in his style and basically did pro wrestling as a second best choice in life to being able to earn money from shoot wrestling but putting him in the same breath as Torontos is just wrong.  Tommy didn't pander to the audiences, but audiences with good taste always knew what a great wrestler he was.

April 10, 2018 at 8:17 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hack

David Mantell at April 10, 2018 at 8:17 PM

WHO moans about Tommy Moore?  He was one of the Wigan Snakepit legends and he and Ernie Riley still looked in great shape when they wrestled each other in that First Tuesday docu.  He was uncompromisingly no-nonsense in his style and basically did pro wrestling as a second best choice in life to being able to earn money from shoot wrestling but putting him in the same breath as Torontos is just wrong.  Tommy didn't pander to the audiences, but audiences with good taste always knew what a great wrestler he was.

You won't find anywhere that I've criticised Dempsey other than my comment above. Your comments refer to the Dempsey I saw in the 1960s up to his retirement when Alan Serjeant took over. This topic is about wrestlers who continued into their fifties. Jack made a comeback for the opposition. The first time I saw him in the 1970s it wasn't a bad match. Saw him twice more. He was an old man nothing like the one you have heard about.
--

April 11, 2018 at 4:17 AM Flag Quote & Reply

paul mitchell
Anglo me mischievous never,yes I did and he was great to work with not a bit difficult unless hairline moves got him ruffled. A great professional true to the game till the end.
April 15, 2018 at 9:58 AM Flag Quote & Reply

matey dave

is some one suggesting mr mcmanus wore a wig, how come it never came off

--

blessed are the pacemakers

really do need my medication

more tea vicar and another jammy dodger

nurse, i need changing and my complan has gone cold

close friend of gladys the impaler

April 15, 2018 at 3:10 PM Flag Quote & Reply

paul mitchell
No matey not even in your cine world
April 15, 2018 at 6:16 PM Flag Quote & Reply

David Mantell

Hack at April 11, 2018 at 4:17 AM

David Mantell at April 10, 2018 at 8:17 PM

You won't find anywhere that I've criticised Dempsey other than my comment above. Your comments refer to the Dempsey I saw in the 1960s up to his retirement when Alan Serjeant took over. This topic is about wrestlers who continued into their fifties. Jack made a comeback for the opposition. The first time I saw him in the 1970s it wasn't a bad match. Saw him twice more. He was an old man nothing like the one you have heard about.

The First Tuesday docu was in '88, screened '89 and he still looked (and in the gym clip, moved) in fine condition there.

April 15, 2018 at 6:41 PM Flag Quote & Reply

matey dave

another name from the 50s

--

April 16, 2018 at 7:26 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Anglo Italian

Thanks Paul.  

No Matey, Mick didn't have a wig but his hair was greased down to come forward and cover his balding pate. This was something he was very sensitive about as Paul says, and his obsession with "Not the ears" was a nice distraction from what really mattered to him.  In fact, just watch him in any bout and he pats the hair down his forehead at least once a minute.

Great to read Paul saying what a good pro Mick was 'cause he does generally come in for quite a bit of stick.  I agree he was a thorough professional and deserved his status.  So clever to carry it all off with limited ability and camouflaged phyisical features from head to heels.  And of course 100% reliable.

I would love you to elaborate, Paul, on precisely what made it so good to work with him.

--

April 16, 2018 at 5:02 PM Flag Quote & Reply

matey dave

well jackie pallo wrote he was a light wrestler and apart from something going wrong he never appeared to injure anybody

--

April 17, 2018 at 7:51 AM Flag Quote & Reply

David Mantell

matey dave at April 15, 2018 at 3:10 PM

is some one suggesting mr mcmanus wore a wig, how come it never came off

A combover and a lot of hairgel but not a wig.

April 17, 2018 at 12:57 PM Flag Quote & Reply

matey dave

i wonder if anybody in the audience ever shouted out "COME ON BALDY"

--

April 17, 2018 at 1:04 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.