WRESTLING HERITAGE

British wrestling history 

has a name

Heritage

Forums

Forum Home > Talk Wrestling > Impromptu Naming

Paul

My favourite was Brian Crabtree who used to refer to Scrubber Daley as Red scrubber Daley. I questioned whether this was some sort of tip of the hat to communism, but it turns out that Brian was just referring to his red hair. 

Anyone else heard any wrestlers names and wondered why? 

I just saw a flyer where Pat Roach was billed as Judo Pat Roach. The Judo moniker seemed to be shared out quite a lot. I seem to remember it was used on Pete Roberts. Also Tony Walsh was often billed as 'two ton' Walsh despite the fact he was harldy the largest heavyweight. 

April 5, 2018 at 4:59 AM Flag Quote & Reply

frank thomas
Think Max Crabtree was good at this kind of stuff. "Two Ton" Tony Walsh was named after World Heavyweight boxing title challenger, "Two Ton" Tony Galento, like wise, Alan Bardouille was named "Kid Chocolate" after a world champion boxer, and plain old Jack Rowland, was conferred with the "Beau Jack" moniker, after another world champion boxer. Colin Bennett became "Fireman Colin Bennett" because he was a fireman!
April 5, 2018 at 11:36 AM Flag Quote & Reply

grahambrook

One of the first matches I recall seeing on a Jack Cassidy promotion at The Houldsworth Hall, Deansgate, Manchester, was a tag match in which Ian Wilson partnered Brendan Moriarty against the villainous team of Pete Lindberg and Ted O'Leary. Ian was billed as "Golden Boy" Ian Wilson. When Stuart Miller and I started promoting we found Ian Wilson to be an extremely useful addition to any bill. He had a solid "wrestling" bout with Eddie Rose which was very good for opening a show and usually went six cats. He was a good "blue eye" for villains such as Bobby Barron, Abe Ginsberg and Lee Sharron and he could also be a very good villain himself. Usually Stuart or I would ask him to don the bonnet for this but occasionally he played the villain without the bonnet and suggested we bill him as "Mad Dog" which was a billing that Cassidy had just started using for him. From "Golden Boy" to "Mad Dog"!

I remember one occasion when he became really annoyed with Stuart however. Stuart had cottoned on to the fact that his dreassing-room nickname was "Porky" and decided to bill him as such for a show he was promoting at The Memorial Hall in Northwich. When Ian turned up and saw "Porky Wilson" on the poster he was furious with Stuart saying that this was a private joke amongst the wrestlers and not for public consumption. He made Stuart promise never to bill him as such again. I was M.C. for the show and it was made very clear to me that under no circumstances was I to refer to him as "Porky Wilson" over the ring microphone.

--

April 7, 2018 at 9:27 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Paul

That is really interesting Frank and Graham, thanks. I never though about links to boxing, I knew British wrestling often borrowed from our American cousins. A live show would be an ideal place to wind someone up, not sure i would have been brave enough. 

I recently came across some bills where Syd/Sid Cooper and Alan Dennison were billed as the Dennisons. Was there a cloesely guarded family relationship or was this an impromtu thing to build a brothers v brothers angle?

April 12, 2018 at 4:33 AM Flag Quote & Reply

grahambrook

There was no pretence of them being brothers or being related in any way. The team just took the name of captain Alan Dennison who was arguably the more famous of the two. It was a little before my time but I believe Cooper relocated and, at the time I started watching wrestling, The Dennisons consisted of Alan Dennison and Ted Heath.

Posting this has led to me reminiscing of seeing Dennison and Heath in action and bouts I recall were against The Jet Set (Jon Cortez and Al Miquet), The Barons (Ian Gilmour and Jeff Kaye), Johnny Kwango and Honey Boy Zimba, Masambula and Honey Boy Zimba (King's Hall, Belle Vue); The Dangermen (Steve Haggetty and Colin Joynson), The Black Diamonds (Abe Ginsberg and Eric Cutler) (Pavilion Gardens, Buxton),; The Royal Brothers (Bert Royal and Vic Faulkner) (Pavilion Gardens, Buxton, and De Montfort Hall, Leicester); The Borg Twins (Tony and Ignatious) (Fairfield Hall, Croydon).

Although not calling themselves The Dennisons, I do recall a handful of occasions when Dennison tagged with Peter Preston and one noteworthy occasion when, at Nottingham Ice Rink, Dennison tagged with Mal Kirk against the team of Andy Robin and Bill Ross.

Rather naughtily, Ted Heatrh once appeared in a Terry Goodrum (Goodrun?) show at The Corn Exchange, Melton Mowbray, partnering Goodrum under his Don Kovacs persona in a match which was billed as The Borg Twins versus The Dennisons.

--

April 12, 2018 at 6:18 AM Flag Quote & Reply

frank thomas
I also remember The Dennisons being booked to appear at Liverpool Stadium, Alan Dennison was "indisposed" as MCs were won't to put it, and replaced by Keith Martinelli. No Dennisons, so they were referred to as "the Ted Heath team" by the MC..
April 12, 2018 at 8:18 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Hack
We've had the story of how Mr TV received his lmpromptu name. It's in the shining stars tribute http://www.wrestlingheritage.co.uk/thefirstcelebrity.htm
--

British wrestling - great characters but the plot was always a bit of a mystery.

April 14, 2018 at 1:18 PM Flag Quote & Reply

grahambrook

The first time that. as M.C., I introduced Jackie "Mr.TV" Pallo was at one of Stuart Miller's promotions at The Civic Hall, Nantwich, before taking over and promoting there myself. I said something along the lines of, "Ladies and gentlemen, from this ring I have had the great honour on countless occasions of introducing wrestlers who have become famous through televised wrestling. Tonight, however, I proudly present the man who has made televised wrestling famouus...Mr.TV himself - Jackie Pallo." He seemed well chuffed by that introduction.

--

April 15, 2018 at 10:23 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.