WRESTLING HERITAGE

British wrestling history 

has a name

Heritage

Forums

Forum Home > Talk Wrestling > Walk Like a Panther

Melvin M Melvin

Apologies if this has been covered already, but does anyone please have any thoughts on this recent cinema release? Thanks - Dave    https://cdn.images.express.co.uk/img/dynamic/36/590x/Walk-Like-A-Panther-trailer-903993.jpg

April 4, 2018 at 6:58 AM Flag Quote & Reply

powerlock
It disappeared pretty quickly at the cinemas up here
April 4, 2018 at 7:58 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Melvin M Melvin

Thanks, Powerlock. I was wondering if anyone had seen it and what they thought. The usual criticism of wrestling films, particularly in the 'comedy' genre, is that they take the mickey - Dave  

April 4, 2018 at 2:09 PM Flag Quote & Reply

matey dave

here a some reviews on this mighty epic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhbHpyHaipA

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/mar/06/walk-like-a-panther-review-brit-wrestling-comedy-that-forgets-to-be-funny

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/films/0/walk-like-panther-review-wrestling-gets-full-monty-treatment/

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/reviews/film-reviews-roundup-wonder-wheel-sweet-country-walk-like-a-panther-mom-dad-a8243601.html

seems like it all went belly up. wonder if it was a tax right off or crowded funded

--

blessed are the pacemakers

really do need my medication

more tea vicar and another jammy dodger

nurse, i need changing and my complan has gone cold

close friend of gladys the impaler

April 4, 2018 at 2:13 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Melvin M Melvin

Thanks, matey :) 

April 4, 2018 at 3:15 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Melvin M Melvin

I have a strong-ish interest in this title because it describes how a group of old-time wrestlers (well, 1980s) come back together for ‘one last battle’, to raise money to save an ailing pub. Around 20 years ago, I entered a screenplay/script to a competition for the Orange Screenwriting award, which also told how two old-time wrestlers come together for one last clash. This had characters loosely based (but not closely enough to be sue-able :D ) on McManus, the Pallos, Logan, Nagasaki, Kellett, Street, Kwango, Mitzi Muller, Max Crabtree and a few others. There was an entry fee, but in return your work was reviewed by a top-level script editor. They said that this was a good, original idea in keeping with films of the period (like ‘Up and Under’, etc.) They also said that my structure was a little hard to follow and, for a ‘comedy’, it needed more humour (both true). They suggested that my timeline covered perhaps too many decades (50s to 80s). I’m not suggesting for one moment that anyone has swiped my idea, particularly after 20 years, but I’m keen to see if there are any other similarities :)  - Dave   

April 5, 2018 at 11:11 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Anglo Italian

Great to see you back on the forum Melvin-Dave.  I remember your quality input many years ago.  Hope you are doing fine.

Nobody has yet go the right recipe for a wrestling drama around our years,

Part of the problem is that we are in a minority being able to understand the workings of the wrestling business.  Most of the public can't see beyond "It's all fixed".  Most journalists still delight in "revealing" this news.  We are quite advanced,intellectually.

But since boxing is, in my opinion, one of the few sports that has regularly generated  quality movies down the decades, the parallel world of wrestling must surely have great similar potential.

The Night and The City was a truly great film noir but it was contemporary at the time, 1949 I think.

The added challenge now would be to recreate the smoky and underhand world of wrestling from 50 years ago.

I also think that as soon as you start inventing wrestling characters, it's no good.  Let's face it, most of "our" wrestlers were creations anyway.  Maybe what's needed is a biopic or a certain angle.  The double-cross by Peter Preston in 1967 would be good.  Lots of build up of McManus, a jealous Norman Morrell, Eamonn Andrews.

I'm sure a nice B&W sixties film is lurking unmade in the style of Scandal or The Krays - with a touch of Kes and Billy Liar thrown in.

--

Still trying to work out what was going on!

April 7, 2018 at 4:36 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Melvin M Melvin

Thanks, Anglo. Night and the City is one of my favourite novels. 'Smoky and underhand' was part of the atmos I went for. Regrettably, Nixon, Profumo and the Krays have more pull than our guys. Preston-McManus would be a good hook, but has no real hero, nor a strong denouement - Thanks again - Dave  

April 8, 2018 at 2:52 PM Flag Quote & Reply

matey dave

would be nice to know if mcmanus changed at all after the event, preston got rewarded well until he was diognosed with diabetes. paintings were good

--

April 8, 2018 at 3:43 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Melvin M Melvin

By the way, guys, I've just realised that neither 'Night and the City' nor 'A Kid for Two Farthings' is in the Bookshelf page on this site (unless I've missed something). Although these are fiction, both give an excellent flavour of wrestling during their respective periods: are these not 'fair game' for inclusion? Ta - Dave  

April 15, 2018 at 10:45 AM Flag Quote & Reply

matey dave

for those with a spirit of adventure film os being showing at electric palace harwich

http://electricpalace.com

--

April 18, 2018 at 5:10 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Melvin M Melvin

Thanks, Matey - I'd gladly wrestle either of the options shown above or below 'WLAP' on the link :D 

April 19, 2018 at 2:21 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.