WRESTLING HERITAGE

British wrestling history 

has a name

Heritage

Forums

Forum Home > Talk Wrestling > Watching wrestling while out shopping

David Mantell

They used to say that the shopping streets went quiet at 4pm on Saturday when wrestling was on.  In my experience, that was not actually true - I got dragged out shopping a few times when the wrestling was on and it was very much business as usual. 

However there was a crafty way to have one's cake and eat it, namely to hang out in a place where TVs were for sale, be it a small electricals shop, a big TV warehouse or a department store.

Things I remember seeing while out with parents - Scrubber Daly kissing his money before the Hundred Pound A Round challenge against Greg Valentine, Danny Collins and Mike Bennett's bizarre high five ritual for their official challenge ceremony to set up their British Welterweight title match, Battle Star (Barry Douglas) raising his hands in victory after his TV debut win over Mick Mc Michael.

What great moments of wrestling did you lot ever end up watching on a store TV while out shopping?

March 15, 2018 at 6:00 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hack
Very crafty David. A bonus point for making me smile. I don't remember seeing any wrestling out shopping. But then we only had one electrical shop in Leyland and shops were closed on Saturday afternoon. Nice memories though. The story of some shopkeepers association complaining about the wrestling was in TV Times. Was it true or hype?
--

British wrestling - great characters but the plot was always a bit of a mystery.

March 15, 2018 at 6:08 PM Flag Quote & Reply

David Mantell

Here's another thought - some of these TV shops would leave the tellies running all night in the window.  Anyone ever ended up watching the 10:30pm midweek wrestling show on slient while walking back from the pub one night?

March 15, 2018 at 7:01 PM Flag Quote & Reply

powerlock

David Mantell at March 15, 2018 at 7:01 PM

Here's another thought - some of these TV shops would leave the tellies running all night in the window.  Anyone ever ended up watching the 10:30pm midweek wrestling show on slient while walking back from the pub one night?

Most shops with the tv's on at night used to be on a timer that went off around midnight, I can remember watching football and midweek football results too
March 15, 2018 at 7:07 PM Flag Quote & Reply

frank thomas

Hack at March 15, 2018 at 6:08 PM

Very crafty David. A bonus point for making me smile. I don't remember seeing any wrestling out shopping. But then we only had one electrical shop in Leyland and shops were closed on Saturday afternoon. Nice memories though. The story of some shopkeepers association complaining about the wrestling was in TV Times. Was it true or hype?

Jackie Pallo told the story of meeting Lord Cohen, the owner of Tesco, whilst travelling on a train, and Lord Cohen holding Jackie personally responsible for his shops being empty around four o clock on a Saturday!.. Speaking for myself, I once left a game at my beloved Everton at half time. The reason? To get home in time to see Shirley Crabtrees "unmasking" of Kendo Nagasaki on World Of Sport. (The fact that Everton were 3-0 down to Ipswich had no bearing on my decision, honestly!)
March 15, 2018 at 7:09 PM Flag Quote & Reply

powerlock
Also I can remember that generally in TV departments all the tv's used to be on the same channel and could be a sickener if Grandstand was on
March 15, 2018 at 7:10 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dave Sutherland

After Bedford (of all teams) had knocked Newcastle United out of the FA Cup in 1964 I watched George Drake beat Francis Sullivan on a set in some TV store in Newcastle. Thankfully the wrestling at St James' provided a better ending to the day!!

--

Wrestling Heritage Walton Award

Wrestling Heritage Starr Award

March 16, 2018 at 4:21 AM Flag Quote & Reply

David Mantell

powerlock at March 15, 2018 at 7:10 PM

Also I can remember that generally in TV departments all the tv's used to be on the same channel and could be a sickener if Grandstand was on

That was easily dealt with - you just brazenly changed the channel on one of the sets.  If some fussy little bloke came up and objected, you just had to say "But the wrestling's on!"

March 16, 2018 at 12:24 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SaxonWolf

I did exactly as David said, if dragged around the shops on a Saturday, make sure I was in the electrical department and pretend to be looking at record players while watching wrestling on one of the TV's

March 16, 2018 at 2:48 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Mad Mac

David Mantell at March 15, 2018 at 6:00 PM

They used to say that the shopping streets went quiet at 4pm on Saturday when wrestling was on.  In my experience, that was not actually true - I got dragged out shopping a few times when the wrestling was on and it was very much business as usual. 

However there was a crafty way to have one's cake and eat it, namely to hang out in a place where TVs were for sale, be it a small electricals shop, a big TV warehouse or a department store.

Things I remember seeing while out with parents - Scrubber Daly kissing his money before the Hundred Pound A Round challenge against Greg Valentine, Danny Collins and Mike Bennett's bizarre high five ritual for their official challenge ceremony to set up their British Welterweight title match, Battle Star (Barry Douglas) raising his hands in victory after his TV debut win over Mick Mc Michael.

What great moments of wrestling did you lot ever end up watching on a store TV while out shopping?

Did Valentine do the hundred quid thing with Scrubber as well? I remember him doing it with Sid.

March 16, 2018 at 5:53 PM Flag Quote & Reply

David Mantell

With Scrubber on TV.  That was the whole point.  TVTimes: "The vastly heavier Daly pays Valentine £100 for every round he survives."

March 16, 2018 at 7:58 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Paul

Mad Mac at March 16, 2018 at 5:53 PM

David Mantell at March 15, 2018 at 6:00 PM

Did Valentine do the hundred quid thing with Scrubber as well? I remember him doing it with Sid.

I saw this match, it was Cooper at his comedy best. He hadn't thought the rules through and had to give over £100 even when he scored a fall. I still remember him trying to take some money out of the last wad. 

Sid was always great value. Seemed to have no ego at all, would do anything he was asked and give it his all. Must have been great to have wrestlers like him working for you. 

March 17, 2018 at 10:35 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Paul

I remember watching a Daddy tag which included Haystacks and Charlie McGee. I caugght Daddy coming into the ring to charge at Haystacks. I thought i had really missed something that saturday. After watching again on youtube i think the wrestling and shopping were of equal merit. 

March 17, 2018 at 10:38 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Melvin M Melvin

Some of the first wrestling I ever saw was through a shop window in Kettering, as we only had BBC TV at home until 1962. I felt 'out of it' at school, as Billy Two Rivers was the name on every boy's lips. We'd been either to the cinema or the baths, and the same Two Rivers was involved in a bout, visible on TV in the window of a (doubtless long-gone) shop in Montagu St. Someone said 'Which one's Two Rivers?' and the reply came 'The one underneath', as he often was untiil his trademark wardance finish...

April 4, 2018 at 6:09 AM Flag Quote & Reply

PETER
Always seemed that matches on TV in stores were better because you could not watch them properly
June 9, 2018 at 7:41 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Graham Bawden
I remember seeing many wrestling matches on televisions in electrical shops in the high street. There would be Mick McManus dishing out the punishment to another opponent.
--

Graham Bawden. Wrestling Heritage Heavy - Middleweight Championship Belt Holder,  Wrestling Heritage Pallo Junior Award Holder, Wrestling Heritage D ` Orazio Award Holder.  Wrestling Heritage Starr Award Holder.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            

June 12, 2018 at 5:36 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.