WRESTLING HERITAGE

British wrestling history 

has a name

Heritage

Forums

Forum Home > Talk Wrestling > Bomber Bates as The Ghoul

Bernard Hughes

I saw The Ghoul many times at Newcastle, but never saw Bomber Bates' face.

Is there a photo anywhere that shows Bates unmasked face please?

--

March 12, 2018 at 9:57 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ron Historyo

What a great question Bernard. You have got me looking now. It looks a real toughie.

--

HISTORYO

Time Detective and Multi Heritage Award Winner

March 12, 2018 at 10:52 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Hack

I don't recall a picture Bernard. It's good to know Ron is on the case.

--

British wrestling - great characters but the plot was always a bit of a mystery.

March 12, 2018 at 12:16 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ron Historyo

Thus far we are looking for memorbilia from 1945-1947 probably Hull , Hartlepool , Newcastle

--

HISTORYO

March 12, 2018 at 3:17 PM Flag Quote & Reply

james morton

Have we actually ever seen a pic of the Ghoul let alone Bomber B ?

March 12, 2018 at 3:59 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ron Historyo

james morton at March 12, 2018 at 3:59 PM

Have we actually ever seen a pic of the Ghoul let alone Bomber B ?

--

HISTORYO

March 12, 2018 at 5:01 PM Flag Quote & Reply

james morton

Thanks Ron. If itt has  been on before I haven't been paying attention.Who's the opponent?  

March 12, 2018 at 6:47 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ron Historyo

Masambula was the oponent James. There is another photo on Wrestlingdta.com.

From what I can see when he died his age at death was reported as 44 but I think that is wrong. I reckon John J Bates was born 11ht February 1914 and married Annie Rourke , lived off Princess Parkway on the Didsbury/Chorlton border before the war and was a Trainee Aircraft Fitter in 1939. His youngest children might well still be about age 70 or so.

He truly has evaded his identity being revealed when it comes to his face , despite wrestling for at least three years without the mask. The reunion site has some old bills (the paste on the wall type) where there were photoes of the wrestlers but I don't think 1945-1948 is a great era to spot him. Wonder if Ray Plunkett has any old stuff with him on.

--

HISTORYO

March 12, 2018 at 11:30 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ron Historyo

We now find that The Ghoul had a toughest opponent (allegedly) Not much is known of Derek Oldham and it looks like a short career, however it looks like he was born about 1931 from Manchester and he was a big lad at 21 was 21 stones. Seemed to work with Morrells boys a lot.

Bernard ......can you remember him.

--

HISTORYO

April 7, 2018 at 11:53 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Bernard Hughes

Hi Ron, I did answer you yesterday, but the post has gone missing.

I vaguely remember Oldham, a big strong boy but at that time just learning what goes on in a ring.

I still think that The Ghoul's misfortune to be put in hospital must have been an accident, rather than deliberate.

--

April 7, 2018 at 5:45 PM Flag Quote & Reply

matey dave

i don't care what anybody thinks but boris karloff was the best Ghoul and was very versitile with it...and ralph richardson made a fine villian.

in 1975 don henderson took on the mantel of the Ghoul but was rubbish

--

blessed are the pacemakers

really do need my medication

more tea vicar and another jammy dodger

nurse, i need changing and my complan has gone cold

close friend of gladys the impaler

April 7, 2018 at 8:05 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ron Historyo

In 1961 a Ghoul toured Ireland for a couple of weeks. Shown is one of the bills. I understand that 1961 is thought to be too late for this to be Bomber Bates. Was Coverdale this heavy.

The reason I ask is that somewhere on this site , and I think it was in the galleries I got a message from Sean O'Shea's daughter saying how much she loved the site and finding these bills with her dad on. She told me two things. One was that Sean O'Shea was not Dad's real name and that his great Friend was Johnny Bates. Does anyone Know O'Shea's real name.

Now I can't remember who this member was or find the comments.  Outside chance she might have some Photo's !!!!

So below....Bates , Coverdale or who.

--

HISTORYO

April 25, 2018 at 2:48 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hack

I'm pretty sure Sean O'Shea was also Jack Jefferson, though I'm not sure if that was his actual name,

--

British wrestling - great characters but the plot was always a bit of a mystery.

April 25, 2018 at 4:34 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ron Historyo

I have another question about the Ghoul.

If he was never beaten or unmasked , how did it come about that we found out that he was Johnny Bates and when.

In particular Bernard , when did you find out.

--

HISTORYO

May 14, 2018 at 1:58 PM Flag Quote & Reply

james morton

Just a side story Ron on how identities are discovered .  When Paul Lincoln in his  Dr Death persona was invited to appear on a telelvision show down in Southampton he turned up masked. On a separate show was Freddie Mills who saw him in the corridor and asked 'What are you doing where Paul?'

May 21, 2018 at 1:30 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Bernard Hughes

Hi Ron.I did not find out whilst I was watching. It was this site, item on  20 Masked Men, where I first saw it.

Amazing what you can learn here isn't it.?

By the way you personally have contributed the most to that knowledge recently.

Thank you and well done.

--

May 21, 2018 at 5:06 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ron Historyo

It's been great Bernard and thanks.

So we are left with a mystery of how his ID leaked out. I suppose that it was so common knowledge in the game that some of the wrestlers have assured us of such and even today at the Blackpool reunion there were wrestlers who would know all this.

As discussed recently The Ghoul and others such as Bartelli were not nation wide names without TV so it was all a bit Parochial. Wrestling has been the ultimate deception. After 5 years of collectiing wrestling bllls we are starting to prove how numerous the times were that some wrestlers met.They all had their favorites to work with. Only this week I have found Mc Manus v Logan and earlier this year Street v Barnes and many McManus v Pallo matches on lower card.

Somewhere out there will be a picture of John Bates , it's on my list to find it.

--

HISTORYO

May 22, 2018 at 2:30 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Dave Sutherland

Interestingly that the first of three wrestling shows at The Regent Cinema, South Shields also in 1961 featured as top of the bill The Ghoul against Sean O'Shea.

--

Wrestling Heritage Walton Award

Wrestling Heritage Starr Award

May 22, 2018 at 8:21 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.