WRESTLING HERITAGE

British wrestling history 

has a name

Heritage

Forums

Forum Home > Talk Wrestling > Foreign Objectionals

paul mitchell
Interested on thoughts on any visitors who were underwhelming and others came to these shores and really impressed,hope Bernard can give some input always learn from his comments on the 50s scene.
March 6, 2018 at 8:10 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ron Historyo

George Gordienko for me must be the number one wrestler to visit. 

I was only a boy and saw Two Rivers as early as 1959  , he seemed magic to a young lad. But in the 1970's he was underwhelming when I saw him live.

I missed the Zebra Kid who seemed to fight all our top men , he was , I would have thought , a top man.

I was most impressed by Goro Tanaka , he really did look class.

My father-in-law said Carnera was a flop.

--

HISTORYO

Time Detective and Multi Heritage Award Winner

March 6, 2018 at 9:00 AM Flag Quote & Reply

frank thomas
One who really impressed me in the 70s, was a giant heavyweight called Jean-Louis\Jacques Breston. 28 stone I believe, saw him knock the daylights out of Gwyn Davies at Liverpool Stadium, he also did the same to Pat\Pete Curry. For a big man he was nimble, and had a fair bit of wrestling "nous" last time I saw him was against I think, Terry Rudge "on the box" and he later challenged Andy Robin, saying that Andy wouldn't be able to apply his "powerlock" submission hold on him because his legs were too thick! Never came off I don't think.
March 6, 2018 at 10:03 AM Flag Quote & Reply

frank thomas
After my previous post, two who left me distinctly underwhelmed were Bill "tornado" Torontos, and the "second coming" of Billy Two Rivers..
March 6, 2018 at 10:05 AM Flag Quote & Reply

paul mitchell
Well great response Tanaka was a cracking worker and iv got a little tale later about Breston later.
March 6, 2018 at 10:08 AM Flag Quote & Reply

maskedmummy
Agree 100% about Tanaka also looked forward to the visits of Quinn Molnar and Dave Morgan after he moved to Germany also Indiro Guajiro later times lt would Broady Steele
March 6, 2018 at 10:20 AM Flag Quote & Reply

james morton

Quasimodo always put on a good show

March 6, 2018 at 11:11 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Tom H

James Brown from Harlem, he  was billed as the coloured junior light-heavyweight champion of the world, very agile with spectacular flying head scissors and dropkicks.

--

Lightweight belt holder

Welterweight belt holder.

March 6, 2018 at 11:22 AM Flag Quote & Reply

frank thomas
Another who impressed me was the "martial arts" expert, Jon Guil Don, had all the moves..
March 6, 2018 at 12:31 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Anglo Italian

Yes Frank, Jon Guil Don was one of the best wrestlers I ever saw.

Johnny War Eagle was a great villain.

The Outlaw was a brilliant masked wrestler.

Ahmet Chong was desperately poor.  An embarrassment.  How they billed him as the Scourge of the East was an absolute liberty.

Poor Bill Torontos features on all these lists, but I personally have to love him nevertheless simply because I saw him so very often.  He never ever surprised.

Le Hippy got a scathing write up in The Wrestler magazine.

Jean Ferre was a great attraction and could wrestle.

Los Halcones Doros / Golden Falcons never flew south ... please don't tell me they were Eddie Rose.  Both of them.

Red Ivan had great potential but was wasted in his tv bouts as his whole stay was just to stooge for Big Daddy, basically.

A few I would love to have seen were Scarface Laval, N'Boa the Snakeman, Wolfgang Starck and Le Bourreau de Béthune.

There is no doubt that having a genuine foreigner on the bill was a great attraction for serious punters like ourselves.

PS  I love the topic title!

--

Still trying to work out what was going on!

March 6, 2018 at 1:27 PM Flag Quote & Reply

james morton

I know he came here but I only ever saw Andre Bollet in Paris. He was a class villain there. 

March 6, 2018 at 1:42 PM Flag Quote & Reply

John
I think Sammy Lee (real name Satoru Sayama) must be one of the greatest foreign wrestlers ever to visit the U.K. I could not believe how good he was, the first time that I saw him in 1980. As most of you will know, he later wrestled in Japan as the legendary Tiger Mask.
--

Heavy-Middleweight Championship Belt Holder

March 6, 2018 at 2:01 PM Flag Quote & Reply

frank thomas

Anglo Italian at March 6, 2018 at 1:27 PM

Ahmet Chong was desperately poor.  An embarrassment.  How they billed him as the Scourge of the East was an absolute liberty.

Poor Bill Torontos features on all these lists, but I personally have to love him nevertheless simply because I saw him so very often.  He never ever surprised.

Los Halcones Doros / Golden Falcons never flew south ... please don't tell me they were Eddie Rose.  Both of them.

Red Ivan had great potential but was wasted in his tv bouts as his whole stay was just to stooge for Big Daddy, basically.

A few I would love to have seen were Scarface Laval, N'Boa the Snakeman, Wolfgang Starck and Le Bourreau de Béthune.

There is no doubt that having a genuine foreigner on the bill was a great attraction for serious punters like ourselves.

Hi Anglo saw Ahmet Chong myself a couple of times and wasn't impressed he got into a "scene" at ringside with some fans, then when he got back into the ring, Wayne Bridges knocked him from pillar to post..
March 6, 2018 at 2:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

frank thomas

Anglo Italian at March 6, 2018 at 1:27 PM

Agreed about Red Ivan, Anglo, a terrible waste of what could have been a heavyweight in the John Quinn mould..
March 6, 2018 at 2:39 PM Flag Quote & Reply

matey dave

frank thomas at March 6, 2018 at 10:05 AM

After my previous post, two who left me distinctly underwhelmed were Bill "tornado" Torontos, and the "second coming" of Billy Two Rivers..

let's be honest children about billy, he was never billed as the second coming, simply was comic relief and a worker. out of curosity was there ever any bad word against from the workers.

--

blessed are the pacemakers

really do need my medication

more tea vicar and another jammy dodger

nurse, i need changing and my complan has gone cold

close friend of gladys the impaler

March 6, 2018 at 3:38 PM Flag Quote & Reply

djmask

I would love to of seen Ricki Starr in his prime but even in his later Tv appearances in the 1970’s their was something captivating about his appearances. 

--

Wrestling Heritage MiddleWeight Belt Holder 2018

March 6, 2018 at 4:01 PM Flag Quote & Reply

david franklin

The list of unimpressive foreign visitors would be very long, but it was always interesting as a fan to go along to see some exciting new arrival at your local hall, even when they disappointed.

The "impressive" list is headed by Georges Gordienko of course. Others that spring to mind are Josef Kovacs, Gordon Nelson (The Outlaw), Josef Molnar, Gaby Calderon (Adi Wasser), Axel Dieter, Jean Corne, Wolfgang Stark, and a bit later on Fuji Yamada, Rick Hunter, Yasa Fuji, and of course John Quinn.  

March 7, 2018 at 3:20 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Bernard Hughes

Hi Paul, Sorry for the delay, I have thought about this for a while and have used Ray's results to jog my memory.

I must have been a "home" fan , I can't say that I was too impressed with many foreign stars.

Kingston and Gable never impressed , because I thought that they were too weak to hold their own and at Newcastle, generally I was right.

The Australians that visited , all seemed much the same as each other . Big ,strong but not a lot of ringcraft (to my teenage eyes). All push and shove and punching.trying to overwhelm the opponent with their strength.

I'm talking about Verna Coverdale and  McMasters.

Van de auwera and Gill ,I'm sorry I don't remember

Felix Kerschitz,I do remember . He was strong but once again not as much ringcraft as the men that he beat.

I remember him especially because this huge man came to my house with Norman and Flo Walsh to pick me up.

Price Barnu, what a disappointment. It wasn't only his opponent that went to sleep in his bouts.

Used to spend round after round boring his knuckles into opponent's temples. I'm suppressing a yawn as I think about this.

Chief Thunderbird, I enjoyed,because of the novelty of his war dance and feathered headdress.

Didn't like his Indian deathlock which wasn't. He didn't like Alf Rawlings punch that sent him about 5 steps up the central aisle.

I enjoyed seeing Abdul the Turk, especially when Jack Pye kicked him over and kicked his prayer mat out of the ring.Strong man but not too skilful. Narrow range of moves.

Lastly, for strong men read Hassan Ali Bey. Most of his moves were strength based.

Interesting and different to youthful eyes.

Hope that some of you get some enjoyment out of this.

--

March 7, 2018 at 9:01 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Tom H

Cowboy Ken Ackles was underwhelming, The photo of Ken on the handbill was obviously taken a good many years before he came here.

--

Lightweight belt holder

Welterweight belt holder.

March 7, 2018 at 11:34 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Dave Sutherland

Pedro La Chappelle or whichever of a dozen other names under which he was billed I found to be a massive let down. When I first saw him on TV he looked the business and a real villain to boot. However by the time I saw him live he was slipping down the bill and Andy Robin had no trouble gaining victory. The Zebra Kid, George Drake and, especially, Eduardo Carpentier were the real deal.

--

Wrestling Heritage Walton Award

Wrestling Heritage Starr Award

March 7, 2018 at 12:03 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.