British wrestling history 

has a name

Forum Home > Talk Wrestling > BILL ANALYSIS late 1950's

I would have loved to have seen Alan Garfield take on Shirley Crabtree- what a match as "Sir" Alan would have no doubt shown complete contempt for his opponent. I wonder who won? The supreme "heel" of his era, Alan Garfield was also an excellent skilful wrestler and in my humble opinion superior to Mr Crabtree.

Eddie Capelli had a lengthy career which dated back to the 1940's and he was only 22 when he won the British Welterweight title. He lost the title a few years later to his friend Mick McManus, and this association may have contibituted to his longeivity . In the 50's and 60's he was certainly one of the best around at his weight, but I suppose in later years, age did eventually ,sadly, catch up with him.

March 16, 2018 at 1:05 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Bernard Hughes

I liked Eddie Capelli, I thought that he was a very skillful wrestler.

I don't remember any particular moves but he knew his way around the ring and held his own against the top welterweights of the day

March 16, 2018 at 6:22 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ron Historyo at March 15, 2018 at 11:24 AM

SaxonWolf at March 15, 2018 at 8:46 AM

Just found this on an old "real names" website as well, doesn't prove anything of course.

"... Demers Mashavias = Great Britain Hassan Ali Bey,  Strongman Of The East..."

Maybe  Ron could work his magic (if he has time) on Demers Mashavias and see if a UK birth pops up? 

That name gets me nowhere. However I have a long memory and a few years ago I did a huge thread which I called Guess the Town.

On that thread one very active guesser was a guy called Andy GRALEMAN

On his profile it says this.

I'am Andy. Used to watch my Dad Wrestle. He told me, that when my mother was pregnant, a wrestler fell ontop of her. He knew all the wrestlers back in the 1950's, 1960's. Maybe, why I got the bug. His great friend, was Dennis Dawson. He wrestled under the name of Hassan Ali Bey. He was half Egyptian, and not Turkish!!

He still seems to be a member......Should Heritage pop him the question ???

Great stuff as ever Ron! 

Wrestling Heritage Heavyweight Champion Belt Holder

Wrestling Heritage Mid Heavyweight Belt Holder

Wrestling Heritage Light Heavyweight Belt Holder

Wrestling Heritage Heavy Middleweight Belt Holder

Wrestling Heritage Starr Award Holder

Wrestling Heritage 22 x Kumali Award Holder

Wrestling Heritage D'Orazio Award Holder

Wrestling Heritage Pallo Senior Award Holder

Wrestling Heritage Quadruple Pallo Junior Award Holder

March 16, 2018 at 8:09 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.