WRESTLING HERITAGE

British wrestling history 

has a name

Heritage

Forums

Forum Home > Talk Wrestling > Hero or Villain

paul mitchell
Id love to see comments on Billy Howes,the supermarket owner,Korea hero,special policeman,his temporary disapperance,his high profile on every promoters lineup which is in itself unusual.Had a bevy of beautiful daughters by the way,if response requires it ill add my tuppenworth.
February 12, 2018 at 6:13 AM Flag Quote & Reply

frank thomas
A pleasure to start the ball rolling for you paul! Bill was one of my favourite wrestlers. Mostly known for his "unmasking" of kendo, but also a European Champion at heavy middleweight I seem to recall, although I never saw evidence of a championship belt.. He was I learned, a native of Bristol, but settled in Bolton. Ran a supermarket in Boltons Little Lever Area, which I visited quite by accident, as a kid, my dad used to work as a lorry driver, and I used to accompany him in the school holidays, he delivered foodstuffs on behalf of a wholesaler, and made a delivery to Bills supermarket one day, I wasn't with him alas, but dad managed to get his delivery docket signed: "to Frank, all the best, yours in sport, Bill Howes" which I was delighted with! Saw him wrestle a few times at Liverpool Stadium, once against Kendo Nagasaki, which after all the hype, ended disappointingly. Another time he appeared in tag with Tibor Szacaks against Thundercloud & Whitecloud, but I always felt his best performances were in his alliance with Hans Streiger in a tag combo called The Destroyers.. They were mayhem combined! Nearly the cause of many a riot. Remember one night as they drove away from the Stadium, somebody threw a half brick through the back window of streigers car, must have had a death wish! Then, as you say, he seemed to vanish without trace. Seem to remember he was billed to appear and was a no show, appeared to be "out of the picture" for a bit, then came back in a riotous match at Liverpool Stadium with Johnny War Eagle.. This ended in a double disqualification, then later in the evening he "interfered" in a match between Mal Kirk & Gwyn Davies, which led to more mayhem! At this point, let me add that Bill came back a good two or three stone lighter on his return. This was he told my dad, due to being diagnosed with diabetes. In finishing, I was told he later retired to the Isle of Man
February 12, 2018 at 10:14 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Romeo

Bill Howes was an assett to every Promoters bill.If the show lacked action Billy soon made sure there was plenty of it when he entered the ring.Unorthodox and unpredictable.You never knew what he would do next.You couldn't take your eyes off him.For me definately one of the all time greats.

--

Romeo

Lightweight Champion Belt

Wrestling Heritage Welterweight Belt Holder

Pallo Junior Award (10)

Middleweight Championship Belt (2)

Heavy-Middleweight Championship Belt

February 12, 2018 at 10:21 AM Flag Quote & Reply

frank thomas
In answer to your "hero or villain" Paul, think Bill veered between the two, depending on the opponent..
February 12, 2018 at 10:31 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ron Historyo

I had no idea Billy ended up in the Isle of Man. If so he must have fallen in love with it. Must have been a fabulous place in the 1950's when few Brits went abroad. I never saw Billy Howes in a bad bout and regret that I did not see him fight every man round about 15 stones. If there had only been one bout on a card , Billy Howes was worth it.

As for the Isle of Man.....Maybe this is what won him over......By the way did Paul Mitchell ever wrestle there,

--

HISTORYO

Time Detective and Multi Heritage Award Winner

February 12, 2018 at 1:31 PM Flag Quote & Reply

paul mitchell
Yes villa marina and an odd outdoor
February 12, 2018 at 2:04 PM Flag Quote & Reply

paul mitchell
February 12, 2018 at 2:05 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ron Historyo

paul mitchell at February 12, 2018 at 2:05 PM

Boat or Light Aircraft Paul and I take it as a group.

And back to Billy , he had been about for years before that TV bout with Nagasaki. Must have started out very light indeed and had many bouts with Bert Royal to help get them both started. The venue below had Billy Riley as Matchmaker. These guys knew their way about a ring.

--

HISTORYO

Time Detective and Multi Heritage Award Winner

February 12, 2018 at 2:28 PM Flag Quote & Reply

paul mitchell
Billy responsible for mentoring along with Ted Betley,present day worker promoter JuanThomas
February 14, 2018 at 2:08 PM Flag Quote & Reply

David Mantell

Clif Belshaw vs John "Folly" (sic - Foley) - an interesting Charnock's vs Riley's confrontation there, Ron

February 14, 2018 at 6:03 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dave Sutherland

I posted the same question to this forum many years ago (probably sunk without trace now) so it is great that it should be discussed again here.

I was puzzled to read in a wrestling programme's profile of Billy Howes sometime around 1962 how he developed the Howes style of wrestling that "we have come to love (and hate)" Up to that point, although I had only seen him on television, Billy Howes had epitomised a clean and skilful wrestler with no hint of rule - bending. When I saw him on my first live experience of wrestling, topping the bill against Gwyn Davies, it was a sporting bout with both wrestlers relying on skill and fitness to provide us with an excellent fight that came to an unfortunate and untimely end as a no - contest.

That was how I remember seeing Billy Howes for the rest of my time at Newcastle although I did hear reports from other parts of the country where he was perceived as an arch villain. Maybe once in a tag team, possibly partnering Arthur Ricardo, did he resort to underhand tactics at St James' Hall but I cannot find a record of that fight so generally he remains a hero in my memory. Either way he was a wrestler that I was always keen to watch and certainly always featured in my top ten.

It was on television - cup final day in 1962 that he beat Jacques Legeat to take the European Mid Heavyweight Title and just before I left St James he fought Geoff Portz either to retain or regain it and according to Ray Plunkett's results Portz won by a KO.

The programme I mentioned at the start also chronicled his move from Bristol to Bolton and all the times I watched his he was continually billed as hailing from the former. I much preferred that as I thought Bristol must be quite a nice place; until I had to drive through there last September!

--

Wrestling Heritage Walton Award

Wrestling Heritage Starr Award

February 15, 2018 at 9:33 AM Flag Quote & Reply

frank thomas

Dave Sutherland at February 15, 2018 at 9:33 AM

I posted the same question to this forum many years ago (probably sunk without trace now) so it is great that it should be discussed again here.

I was puzzled to read in a wrestling programme's profile of Billy Howes sometime around 1962 how he developed the Howes style of wrestling that "we have come to love (and hate)" Up to that point, although I had only seen him on television, Billy Howes had epitomised a clean and skilful wrestler with no hint of rule - bending. When I saw him on my first live experience of wrestling, topping the bill against Gwyn Davies, it was a sporting bout with both wrestlers relying on skill and fitness to provide us with an excellent fight that came to an unfortunate and untimely end as a no - contest.

That was how I remember seeing Billy Howes for the rest of my time at Newcastle although I did hear reports from other parts of the country where he was perceived as an arch villain. Maybe once in a tag team, possibly partnering Arthur Ricardo, did he resort to underhand tactics at St James' Hall but I cannot find a record of that fight so generally he remains a hero in my memory. Either way he was a wrestler that I was always keen to watch and certainly always featured in my top ten.

It was on television - cup final day in 1962 that he beat Jacques Legeat to take the European Mid Heavyweight Title and just before I left St James he fought Geoff Portz either to retain or regain it and according to Ray Plunkett's results Portz won by a KO.

The programme I mentioned at the start also chronicled his move from Bristol to Bolton and all the times I watched his he was continually billed as hailing from the former. I much preferred that as I thought Bristol must be quite a nice place; until I had to drive through there last September!

I held him in high regard too Dave. He kind of veered between 'blue eye & heel' at Liverpool Stadium, where the fans, even on his villainous days, seemed to hold him in regard. Saw him meet quite a lot of villains where he had the crowd on his side! But with Hans Streiger in the "Destroyers" tag combo it was never less than magnificent mayhem!
February 15, 2018 at 10:16 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.