WRESTLING HERITAGE

British wrestling history 

has a name

Heritage

Forums

Forum Home > Talk Wrestling > Chief Red Eagle

Hack
Another wrestling mystery. Back in 1962 Joint Promotions brought over another of those native Americans, or Red Indians as they were in those days. Another in the llikeness of Billy Two Rivers who had been whooping and chopping his way to victory for a few years. He was Chief Red Eagle and was discussed over 10 years ago in pre Heritage days. I think it was David Franklin who found a photo and he has the near 40 limit of matches.in Rays 1962 results. The real deal it seems. But now in the Nagasaki's Best Opponent topic Ron has posted an independent bill from two years earlier with an all northern cast and Chief Red Eagle. This gets me wondering if there was a genuine American and opposition promoters lifted the name two years before he came here. Or did the opposition create the persona who then crossed over to Joint in 1962?
--

British wrestling - great characters but the plot was always a bit of a mystery.

February 11, 2018 at 3:25 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ron Historyo

Hack at February 11, 2018 at 3:25 AM

Another wrestling mystery. Back in 1962 Joint Promotions brought over another of those native Americans, or Red Indians as they were in those days. Another in the llikeness of Billy Two Rivers who had been whooping and chopping his way to victory for a few years. He was Chief Red Eagle and was discussed over 10 years ago in pre Heritage days. I think it was David Franklin who found a photo and he has the near 40 limit of matches.in Rays 1962 results. The real deal it seems. But now in the Nagasaki's Best Opponent topic Ron has posted an independent bill from two years earlier with an all northern cast and Chief Red Eagle. This gets me wondering if there was a genuine American and opposition promoters lifted the name two years before he came here. Or did the opposition create the persona who then crossed over to Joint in 1962?

If it helps the Ventnor bill was DeMarto Promotions  whoever they were.

--

HISTORYO

Time Detective and Multi Heritage Award Winner

February 11, 2018 at 4:15 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ron Historyo

I am not sure what was said last time it was debated but A Chief Red Eagle was here in 1952.

--

HISTORYO

February 11, 2018 at 4:24 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Hack
Good find Ron. I wonder if they were all the same bloke. Tony De Marto was a former wrestler who went into the catering business and wrestling promoting in the 1960s. Seems to have put on a lot of shows in the south. Sam Betts speaks highly of him, which I take to mean he paid well.
--

British wrestling - great characters but the plot was always a bit of a mystery.

February 11, 2018 at 2:21 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Bernard Hughes

Prior to Joint in 1962, Morrell used a Chief Thunderbird in the 1950's.

--

February 11, 2018 at 5:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hack
Now now Bernard. Here we are talking about Red Eagle and you move on to Thunderbird. I thought you didn't like us going off topic. Only kidding.
--

February 12, 2018 at 12:23 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ron Historyo

As best I can I have checked USA and Canada and Australia and although I would only bet a Mars Bar on it. I would say he was a creation of the promoters here in the UK. (both 1952 and 1962)

I went to Wythenshawe one night to see Son Of Two Rivers thinking Billy's son would be brilliant. Of course it was a play on words , two Rivers being a place. The guy was a local , possibly Polish. His opponent was also a fake Doctor Death.

--

HISTORYO

February 12, 2018 at 4:41 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Anglo Italian

Sounds like your magic number of 40 bouts is the telling evidence, Hack.  Why keep within the law if he was from Clapham Common?  Sounds like he was legit.

--

Still trying to work out what was going on!

February 12, 2018 at 2:54 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Bernard Hughes

Sorry Hack, I thought that you were interested in Red Indians.

--

February 12, 2018 at 5:04 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ron Historyo

I wonder if the whole thing was an illusion. This guy's real name was Colin Gosling

--

HISTORYO

February 13, 2018 at 4:43 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ray Hulm

Ron Historyo at February 13, 2018 at 4:43 AM

I wonder if the whole thing was an illusion. This guy's real name was Colin Gosling

Nice one Ron!

--

February 13, 2018 at 4:54 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Bernard Hughes

Hi Ron, Can you tell me if that's an unusual address please? On the illusion bill.

Derby Miners hall,Skegness. Any idea of what  the "Derby" in that is from ?

--

February 13, 2018 at 1:31 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ron Historyo

Bernard Hughes at February 13, 2018 at 1:31 PM

Hi Ron, Can you tell me if that's an unusual address please? On the illusion bill.

Derby Miners hall,Skegness. Any idea of what  the "Derby" in that is from ?

Sounds a bit like a Butlins.

Here you go Bernard.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Derbyshire_Miners%27_Holiday_Camp

--

HISTORYO

February 13, 2018 at 1:56 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Bernard Hughes

Thank you Ron. I went to Butlins at Skegness once, but at that time I was not looking for wrestling venues.

--

February 13, 2018 at 5:08 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.