WRESTLING HERITAGE

British wrestling history 

has a name

Heritage

Forums

Forum Home > Talk Wrestling > Exclusivity

Paul

It would have been very late 80's/ early 90's when John Quinn turned up at Reading for Joint promotions. It got me think about exclusivity. 

Did wrestlers have unwritten agreements to work exclusively for one promoter? 

Were their santions for wrestlers doing as they pleased?

If there was an unwritten exclusivity, then when it it all come to an end? I am guess it was when the number of shows drastically reduced. 

Any thoughts?

February 9, 2018 at 12:43 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Mad Mac

In a roundabout way, you've answered your own question - I think we touched on this a while back in respect of when Marty Jones started appearing on All-Star bills because, basically, he wasn't getting enough work from Joint. Technically might have been a "breach of contract", but at the end of the day, what were they going to do? Sack him? Sue him? Stop using him? He was still one of their top "draws", so probably nothing they could realistically do. 

February 9, 2018 at 2:07 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hack
Until the 1980s there was exclusivity of wrestlers who worked for Joint Promotions theoretically only working for Joint. This generally worked though some Joint wrestlers did work for the opposition by using different names or working in clubs where bills were not widely publicised. The practice pre dated Joint Promotions, Norman Morrell had wrestlers working exclusively in the 1940s. As Mad Mac says this did eventually begin to break down as Joint could not offer enough work. It did not become a free for all as sometimes suggested. It was eventually agreed the supporting wrestlers could work for anyone without restriction. The main event wrestlers crossed over with payment of a booking fee.
--

British wrestling - great characters but the plot was always a bit of a mystery.

February 10, 2018 at 5:10 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Bernard Hughes

Hi Paul, I can confirm that in the 1940's and early 50's, Norman Morrell kept tight control over the wrestlers on his books.

How long this continued I can't say, but I doubt that he would have given up on this too easily.

--

February 10, 2018 at 6:55 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Paul

Thanks very much for the replies. I remember reading some of in in house publications which would claim certain stars worked exclusively. I guess if you were lower down the bill a promoter would be less begrudging of you making a living. I also remember in some of Big Daddy's obituarites, i think it was John Freemantle said that he had used Daddy a few times, so I guess there was also a case of keeping top talent happy by keeping them in work. Much like subletting a property maybe. 

I wonder, in the stricter days when bills were a plenty if there was any kind of black balling for stars who didn't stay loyal. My guess would be that once again it would depend on the status of the star. Would a promoter want to cut off his nose to spite his face?

February 10, 2018 at 10:43 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.