WRESTLING HERITAGE

British wrestling history 

has a name

Heritage

Forums

Forum Home > Talk Wrestling > Roy Harding

Paul

Apologies if there is a thread already.  I remember Roy mainly as a ref but occasionally as MC at the Hexagon. Seems he was well respected with joint promotions. I remember him taking to the mic one time and stating that there would be not more wrestling in the ring, if the crowd continued to throw rubbish at the wrestlers. 

I have never heard him mentioned as a wrestler like Jeff Kaye and Ken Joyce were. 

Does anyone know anything about him? Is he still alive and well?

February 7, 2018 at 3:00 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hack
According to the Wrestlers Reunion Roy is no longer with us. He is not in our list of deceased wrestlers because we do not have a year of death.
--

British wrestling - great characters but the plot was always a bit of a mystery.

February 10, 2018 at 5:20 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Paul

So hw was a wrestler then Hack? That seemed to be a path to staying in the game as a ref. I guess another was to be close and loyal friends with the promoter. 

February 10, 2018 at 10:46 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Hack
I'm not aware of him wrestling Paul, but then I know next to nothing about him. He was mentioned in a thread on MCs and Officials but it must be about ten years back.
--

British wrestling - great characters but the plot was always a bit of a mystery.

February 10, 2018 at 3:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Paul

Maybe Just a close friend of the Crabtree family. I guess there were others who got into the game as Just refs. Max Ward for example?

February 11, 2018 at 7:12 AM Flag Quote & Reply

ballymoss

Before becoming a referee Max Ward was a pretty good wrestler and was often billed as the "Midlands" heavyweight champion. On the topic of Roy Harding, I can recall on Dale Martin  promotions a wrestler called Roy Hawley or Howley. He was a welterweight and sadly failed to make any impression. It is very much a long shot if he became Roy Harding.

--
February 11, 2018 at 9:49 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Hack
Roy Hockey is in the A to Z. I've heard no suggestion he is Roy Harding.
--

February 11, 2018 at 2:18 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Paul

Roy is mentioned in some posts on facebook. Seems he had his own ring in the 90's which would have made him more attractive to hire as a ref. I have always wondered how the logistics of wrestling rings worked. I know Joint would pile a ring and a bunch or wrestlers in a van and would travel around to country. I wonder is this was the same fo all promotions, or did promoters try and find a local ring? 

February 25, 2018 at 6:38 AM Flag Quote & Reply

TheOfficeHold

Roy used to do the ring and MC for 50 notes back in the 90's but only around the South and South West areas

February 25, 2018 at 4:55 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.