WRESTLING HERITAGE

British wrestling history 

has a name

Heritage

Forums

Forum Home > Talk Wrestling > Searching for a wrestler

Zoe
Hope someone can help please. Desperately trying to find my great grandad. His name was John Hirst and he was a pro wrestler in the 1920¬?s. His day job was a Miner. Any info/pics would be amazing.
--
January 29, 2018 at 2:58 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hack

Hello Zoe. Have you got a date of birth and place of origin. The 1920s was very much the dark ages as far as wrestling was concerned. the professional sport went into decline around 1908 and returned to popularity in the 1930s. We are talking amateur wrestling, most likely catch.

--

British wrestling - great characters but the plot was always a bit of a mystery.

January 29, 2018 at 3:58 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Zoe

Hack at January 29, 2018 at 3:58 PM

Hello Zoe. Have you got a date of birth and place of origin. The 1920s was very much the dark ages as far as wrestling was concerned. the professional sport went into decline around 1908 and returned to popularity in the 1930s. We are talking amateur wrestling, most likely catch.

Hi sorry don¬?t have a date of birth but he was from Lancashire then moved to West Yorkshire. I believe he was wrestling in the early 20¬?s as his full time job was as a Miner. So you are probably right as in he did amateur wrestling but got paid well for it almost a weeks wages at the time.
--
January 29, 2018 at 4:42 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ron Historyo

Hello Zoe ...you mention the 1920's but your profile info says.

Hi this is a strange site for me to be on but have found out my great grandad was a pro wrestler just after ww2. Desperately trying to find anything on him.

There was a Ronnie Hurst/Hirst wrestler at the time of WW2 and I think was mentored by Doug Clark of Huddersfield.

You don't give us many clues.

--

HISTORYO

Time Detective and Multi Heritage Award Winner

January 30, 2018 at 2:43 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Zoe
Sorry but that is all the info I got off of my mums cousin. Apparently he did wrestling in the 20¬?s then went pro for a while after ww2. I really haven¬?t anymore myself to go on as his only living daughter my nanna passed away in 2016. I only know he was a Miner from Lancashire then came and settled in hunslet West Yorkshire.
--
January 30, 2018 at 4:46 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Zoe
This is the info I received Was not long after ww2 when not much work about and no benefits or anything, he got 10s & 6d per bout which at the time was almost a weeks wage. i asked Grandad about it and he confirmed it, said that's why he always shouted at the so called wrestlers on the TV he said they were just dancers, when he was doing it, it was not unknown for wrestlers to end up with broken limbs but it was worth the risk to feed the family.
January 30, 2018 at 4:47 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hack

I've had a look around Zoe but not come up with anything. A pro after the war would be easier to trace than a 1920s amateur. He must have been getting on for 40 or over that by then, so would probably have retired by 1950. There were an incredible number of wrestlers at that time, many working part time in their local area.  I've not come across a Hirst before. As Ron says there was Ronnie Hurst, and I've also heard of Stan Hurst in Ron's collection in 1940. There was a Eddie Hurst around in 1951, but that's getting a bit late and he only seems to have worked in the south.

Then there's also the likely possibility that your great grandfather used a different name when wrestling.

It might be more worthwhile to pursue your enquiries on more genealogical sights and come back to us when you have a bit more information. Good luck.

--

British wrestling - great characters but the plot was always a bit of a mystery.

January 31, 2018 at 10:02 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Zoe
Ok thank you appreciate your help and advice
January 31, 2018 at 4:40 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hack
We won't give up on you. We just don't seem to be getting anywhere.
--

February 2, 2018 at 8:08 AM Flag Quote & Reply

djmask

I have found an article from the Yorkshire Post of 1948 which mentions a professional wrestler called George Hirst from Primrose Avenue in Hunslet, so wondered if he was related to John Hirst. Sadly the article is about a court case which saw George referee (in his debut bout) a boxing booth match which led to a boxer dying;

A fight at a Hunslet Feast boxing booth, which was stated to have been a " fake," was described at the inquest Leeds yesterday on George Pawson (53), Glover Street, Camp Road, Leeds, who collapsed In the ring on Monday and died soon afterwards. George Hirst, a professional wrestler of Primrose Avenue, said he was asked to referee the fight, although he had never done so previously. The fight he said was genuine and there was no foul play. After It had been going about a minute Pawson went down. Describing the fight, Bailey said: "We arranged that Pawson should go down In the second round but he never touched him —It was fake you see-. I asked him if he was all right and he winked at me. I turned round and then saw he had collapsed." Exonerating Bailey and the booth proprietor from blame, the Coroner (Dr. A. J, Swanton) said: "It was a pre-arranged affair." ; Yorkshire Post 4/08/1948 (edited abstract)

--

Wrestling Heritage MiddleWeight Belt Holder 2018

February 7, 2018 at 2:55 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.