WRESTLING HERITAGE

British wrestling history 

has a name

Heritage

Forums

Forum Home > Talk Wrestling > Bartelli's Belt

Hack

This is a topic we discussed years ago and got nowhere.

Since then we've had new members in Australia and so I'm re-opening the discussion.

Count Bartelli returned from Australia in 1969 as Commonwealth Heavyweight Champion. He even had a belt to prove it.

He had won this belt from a wrestler called Laurie Boyd in a match promoted by a wrestler from Britain Ken Else.

Unfortunately no one in Australia seemed to have heard of Laurie Boyd.

So the questions

Who was Laurie Boyd?

Did Laurie Boyd win the championship before Bartelli?

Where did the belt come from?

Did Bartelli carry it in his case to Australia whilst visiting relatives and take it out of his case on return to proclaim himself champion?

--

British wrestling - great characters but the plot was always a bit of a mystery.

January 23, 2018 at 6:31 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Mad Mac

Might it have been Jonathan Boyd, who was at one time part of the Sheepherders (who later became the Bushwhackers in WWF)? He was Australian and still wrestled there in 1969 (would have been 25 at the time). His Wikipedia entry lists him as having used the name "Laurie".

January 24, 2018 at 12:09 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Anglo Italian

Wow!  Compelling reply, Mad Mac.

--

Still trying to work out what was going on!

January 24, 2018 at 1:27 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Hack

Have we got a quick result? I think we have. Great work Mad Mac. Where were you all those years ago?

Jonathan Boyd has been mentioned previously by John Shelvey.

I did a quick Google. I don't think link this was here years ago but if you look at the Wiki page of Commonwealth Heavyweight Champions. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Empire/Commonwealth_Heavyweight_Championship

There is a link from Laurie Boyd to here

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_Boyd

I think Mad Mac has cracked it.

--

British wrestling - great characters but the plot was always a bit of a mystery.

January 24, 2018 at 4:02 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ron Historyo

I would say a Fabulous Result Mad Mac

--

HISTORYO

Time Detective and Multi Heritage Award Winner

January 24, 2018 at 4:07 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Mad Mac

Where was I all those years ago? The simple answer is, in Motherwell aged 11.

What got me on to this was the association of “Boyd” and “Australia”. I had read about his connection to the Sheepherders previously, which got me wondering whether this may have been him. And the rest, as they say, is history.

January 24, 2018 at 10:50 AM Flag Quote & Reply

David Mantell

The rest of the Sheepherders eventually found their way to Britain too when Butch Miller and Luke Williams, after several good years as the Bushwhiackers, came to England and formed a triple tag team with British Bushwhacker Frank Casey.

January 24, 2018 at 7:38 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Mad Mac

The thing I've always found fascinating is how WWF took what was probably the most brutal and violent tag team in North America at the time and made them into a comedy act.....

January 25, 2018 at 12:52 AM Flag Quote & Reply

David Mantell

Mad Mac at January 25, 2018 at 12:52 AM

The thing I've always found fascinating is how WWF took what was probably the most brutal and violent tag team in North America at the time and made them into a comedy act.....

Interesting insight on this very issue from Jim Cornette:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WM9vXLmdD18

Similar comments could be made about HAcksaw Duiggan's transformation from Mid South/UWF hard-as-nails streetfighting man to loveable lummox in the WWF., or Goerge Steele' sudden transformation from evil goblin from the depths of Hell to loveable misunderstood sympathy figure with a soft spot for beautiful heel manageresses and ugly cuddly toys.

People often speculate what Vince would have done with Bruiser Brody or Abdullah The Butcher.

January 25, 2018 at 4:48 AM Flag Quote & Reply

The Ost

Ed Lock would be best to answer this. I don't know where in Australia that Boyd would have been billed as the Commonwealth champion. 

--

January 25, 2018 at 7:56 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ed Lock

G’day All

I’m sorry to be the purveyor of bad tidings.

I appreciate Mad Mac’s suggestion that Johnny Boyd could be the elusive Laurie Boyd but I believe that the Wikipedia entry is incorrect.

I followed John Boyd’s entire career from his start in Australia in 1964 to his retirement in America in 1989. At no time did Johnny use the ring name Laurie Boyd nor was he ever billed as the Commonwealth Heavyweight Champion, to my knowledge.

It was my pleasure to meet Boyd in 1987 at a function in Birmingham, Alabama, USA. We discussed his career at length - especially his days in Australia wrestling concurrently as “Pretty Boy” Johnny Boyd for the World Championship Wrestling promotion and as “The Wild Colonial Boy” Johnny Boyd on Sydney’s licensed club circuit. John never mentioned using the name Laurie Boyd.

Unfortunately, Wikipedia’s wrestler profiles are not always accurate. The Wiki article on Boyd lists Johnny’s professional wrestling debut as occurring in 1966. As previously mentioned, the actual year of Boyd’s debut was 1964.

The same Wiki profile states that Boyd was trained by Al Morgan. The wrestler who trained Johnny was Hal Morgan.

Wiki also credits Boyd as winning the South Pacific World Tag Team Championship in partnership with Norman Frederick Charles III. This is a fictitious title that Charles (who wrestled in Great Britain as both Maurice LaRue and Wild Red Berry) claimed “covered Australia, New Zealand, New Guinea, French Noumea, Western Samoa, and parts of Africa”.

Additionally, my research has not uncovered any matches featuring Count Bartelli in Australia in 1969 or any other year. Furthermore, the Commonwealth Heavyweight Championship is a title that was closely associated with New Zealand – not Australia.

My conclusion is that the whole story of Bartelli winning the Commonwealth Heavyweight Championship in Australia in 1969 is a total fabrication.

I believe that our good mate John Shelvey also feels that this is the case.

Cheers!

Ed

January 26, 2018 at 6:10 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ed Lock

Sorry about the annoying A's between the paragraphs.

I edited my post 10 times to delete the A's but was still unsuccessful.  :(

January 26, 2018 at 6:23 AM Flag Quote & Reply

paul mitchell
Ed lock fantastic post and spot on in outcome,clue is the belt its self and its origin.
January 26, 2018 at 6:50 AM Flag Quote & Reply

paul mitchell
Appropriate that you deliver the ko Ed on Australia day.
January 26, 2018 at 6:52 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Anglo Italian

The AAAAAs are Count Bartelli spitting down on you.

--

Still trying to work out what was going on!

January 26, 2018 at 7:14 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Hack

Aargh! Just when we thought we were getting close. Thanks Ed for bringing us your insight.

What do you know about the origin of the belt Paul?

Still good research by Mad Mac even if his source turns out flawed. It happens to us all.

--

January 26, 2018 at 10:10 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Mad Mac

As is often the case in this fascinating hobby of ours, truth is stranger than fiction ��

January 26, 2018 at 12:00 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ed Lock

paul mitchell at January 26, 2018 at 6:50 AM

Ed lock fantastic post and spot on in outcome,clue is the belt its self and its origin.

G'day Paul.

Thank you for your kind words, mate.

Your observation of Australia Day was quite perceptive. ;)

Like Hack, I am very interested to read your comments about the origin of Count Bartelli's Commonwealth Heavyweight Championship belt.

Had this belt perhaps been previously used in another capacity in British professional wrestling?

Cheers!

Ed

January 26, 2018 at 6:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SaxonWolf

Ed Lock at January 26, 2018 at 6:49 PM

paul mitchell at January 26, 2018 at 6:50 AM

G'day Paul.

Thank you for your kind words, mate.

Your observation of Australia Day was quite perceptive. ;)

Like Hack, I am very interested to read your comments about the origin of Count Bartelli's Commonwealth Heavyweight Championship belt.

Had this belt perhaps been previously used in another capacity in British professional wrestling?

Cheers!

Ed

From memory, some years ago, I speculated that "Laurie Boyd", was a made up name, probably based on Larry O'Dea and Jonathan Boyd.  I also speculated that as the belt lineage seemed to be tied to Paul Lincoln promotions, prior to the mysterious "Laurie Boyd" and then Bartelli.  My speculation led me to believe that Count Bartelli purchased the belt from Paul Lincoln, probably as Paul Lincoln, becoming part of Joint Promotions, had to give up his belts and his men had to wrestle for the Mountevans belts.

So I don't think Count Bartelli ever "won" the belt in Australia in the late 60's, a period that is well documented as it was dominated by Jim Barnett and his World Championship Wrestling promotion. 

January 26, 2018 at 7:27 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SaxonWolf

In fact I have found the thread where we discussed this, it was called "Books, Books, Books" 

January 26, 2018 at 7:31 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.