WRESTLING HERITAGE

British wrestling history 

has a name

Heritage

Forums

Forum Home > Talk Wrestling > Wrestling families

Fred
What happened to king Ben is he still alive and also he had a son who started wrestling as tag team with his dad.I think they came from Wigan and was under contract with best wryton promotions.How many more father+son tag teams were there ?
January 16, 2018 at 7:43 AM Flag Quote & Reply

frank thomas
King Ben was one of my favourite wrestlers, he came from silsden in West yorkshire, his son was Mark, who wrestled under the name "Kid Mc coy" think he was british lightweight champion. They also wrestled one on one in a TV knockout tournament which was a clean scientific match with "no angle" with regards to other father & son tag teams, there were a few around. The most famous being Jackie "Mr TV" pallo, and his son JJ (Jackie junior) Jackie also said in his book that he insisted on being billed as "Pallo & Son" as I said earlier, there were a few father & son teams around, but it was said by Jackie that they tended to be billed as an "elder brother" in order not to make "the old man" look "too old"..
January 16, 2018 at 8:51 AM Flag Quote & Reply

SaxonWolf

Not sure about "tag team" but Les Kellet was the father of Dave Barrie (who died before Les, which must be a terrible thing for any parent) and I think we all thought at one time (on this site, and others) that Robby Baron was related in some way to Mick McManus? (nephew?) 

January 16, 2018 at 1:26 PM Flag Quote & Reply

frank thomas
Saw Les tag once with Dave Barrie. I think against the Broughton Rangers, Johnny South & Paul Mitchell
January 16, 2018 at 2:44 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hack
Yes I think father and sons were billed as brothers to disguise the age of the father. Vic Stewart was the father of Pete but they were advertised as brothers.
--

British wrestling - great characters but the plot was always a bit of a mystery.

January 16, 2018 at 3:47 PM Flag Quote & Reply

John
In the late seventies, the Wensors (Ed and Gary) were a tag team and were billed as brothers but I think it was discussed on this website once that Ed may well have been Gary's father. I can't remember if anyone ever came up with an answer to that question.
--

Heavy-Middleweight Championship Belt Holder

January 16, 2018 at 4:45 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Anglo Italian

Well, it's professional wrestling.  So it's fair to assume that if they were described as Brothers, they may well not have been.

But I do think the Mitchells were brothers.

We have spent a lot of time speculating as to any baby Bartellis, but never made any decisive progress.

For me, it's the hidden ones that are fun to unravel, such as Kellett and Barrie.

I remember my shock when I discovered Wild Angus's sone was such a clean shaven clean wrestling goodie.

Let's not forget Wayne Bridges' son who passed away very prematurely. Dean Briscoe.

Roy Bull Davis and Skull Murphy.

I always thought Mike Marino looked like someone who had a wrestling son, but have never identified one.

Just a few.

--

Still trying to work out what was going on!

January 16, 2018 at 4:59 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Bernard Hughes

The Rawlings family from Stockton , were I believe, father and 2sons.

All appeared at Newcastle at times.

--

January 16, 2018 at 5:19 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dave Sutherland

Correct Bernard

--

Wrestling Heritage Walton Award

Wrestling Heritage Starr Award

January 17, 2018 at 3:23 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Hack
Jack and Dominic Pye. I don't think they were ever known as anything other than father and son.
--

British wrestling - great characters but the plot was always a bit of a mystery.

January 17, 2018 at 3:56 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Fred
What about jimmy hussey and son rollerball Marc Rocco I think they were father and son but don't know if they ever paired up for tag team action.
January 17, 2018 at 4:53 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Bernard Hughes

Hi Hack. Jack and Dominic Pye were not the only wrestling connections in that family.

Some brothers got involved too.

--

January 17, 2018 at 6:29 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Bernard Hughes

Hi Fred. Possibly Jim Hussey was getting a little too old, when Mark came into the professional game.

--

January 17, 2018 at 6:31 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Fred
Yes Bernard come to think about it your probebly right as when Marc came on the wrestling scene his dad Jim was the owner of a pub in kearsley near bolton.
January 17, 2018 at 6:39 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ron Historyo

Rocco certainly must have travelled a lot with dad in his early years as shown here , so the opportunity was there.

Having said that I can't remember them tagging .

--

HISTORYO

Time Detective and Multi Heritage Award Winner

January 17, 2018 at 10:09 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Anglo Italian

I confirm that in 1970 and 1971 Mark Rocco and Jim Hussey invariably appeared on the same bills together, as they also toured on DM bills.

Interesting to see Rocco included as one of 8 heavyweights on that bill of yours, Ron.  I remember him as looking a welterweight in 1971.

--

Still trying to work out what was going on!

January 17, 2018 at 12:32 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SaxonWolf

Anglo Italian at January 17, 2018 at 12:32 PM

I confirm that in 1970 and 1971 Mark Rocco and Jim Hussey invariably appeared on the same bills together, as they also toured on DM bills.

Interesting to see Rocco included as one of 8 heavyweights on that bill of yours, Ron.  I remember him as looking a welterweight in 1971.

"...Interesting to see Rocco included as one of 8 heavyweights on that bill of yours, Ron. I remember him as looking a welterweight in 1971....."

Good point, in fact I can't think that we would have ever called Rocco a heavyweight at any point in his career, nothing wrong with that of course, just saying. 

January 17, 2018 at 1:10 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hack
Hussey, Gargantua and Cameron look like the only heavies. Possibly Pierlot but I doubt it in 1970. Who would have believed it? A wrestling poster liberal with the truth.
--

January 17, 2018 at 1:21 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tom H

Bob Archer O'Brien had two sons Bob and Chris Anthony who tagged together. But I don't know if Bob Archer O'Brien and Bob Anthony worked together.

--

Lightweight belt holder

Welterweight belt holder.

January 17, 2018 at 1:47 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ron Historyo

For more than a decade Lew Faulkner had ample opportunity to tag with son Bert and even could have gone in with Vic.

Not sure he did but here they are in a different kind of team in their home town.

--

HISTORYO

Time Detective and Multi Heritage Award Winner

January 17, 2018 at 3:01 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.