WRESTLING HERITAGE

British wrestling history 

has a name

Heritage

Forums

Forum Home > Talk Wrestling > New Galleries

The Riot Squad
Site Owner

Terry Hunt has added four new albums of wrestling posters to the Gallery. Thanks Terry.

--

British wrestling history has a name - HERITAGE

January 12, 2018 at 6:02 PM Flag Quote & Reply

The Riot Squad
Site Owner

Another album added by Terry today.

See all of Terry's albums.

http://www.wrestlingheritage.com/terryhuntalbums

--

January 13, 2018 at 6:35 PM Flag Quote & Reply

The Riot Squad
Site Owner

He's at it again. Three more albums from Terry tonight.

--

January 15, 2018 at 5:35 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ron Historyo

Have added a second Eastbourne Gallery. 1956 ONWARDS

http://www.wrestlingheritage.co.uk/apps/photos/album?albumid=16107690

--

HISTORYO

Time Detective and Multi Heritage Award Winner

February 6, 2018 at 5:44 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ron Historyo

Newcastle 1958 added.

One for Bernard , Your old mate Dick Swales

--

HISTORYO

February 6, 2018 at 1:42 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Anglo Italian

Really enjoyed these, thanks everyone.

I particularly devoured Eastbourne, also because those years 1956 and 1957 are so fascinating.  Lots caught my eye:  small stuff like Peter Rann billed from Nottingham;  and why on earth they brough Geo. Kidd and Chic Purvey all the way down to the south coast only for them to oppose each other.   Then I spotted Tiger Gunga in 1957 and am wondering whether this is an early outing for the Wild Man of Borneo.

In the later bills our 2017 friend Jules Kiki takes top billing.  But look closer and the venue changes and the promoter is Mercado,   With James and my dad and others including Jules' youngest and proud son, we worked out a lot about the Kiki's and Ron also helped establish the real surname of Mercado.  So Hack and others will be pleased of a new name amongst the southern independent promoters.

And all these little details then lead on to others and open up fresh discussions.

--

Still trying to work out what was going on!

February 6, 2018 at 5:52 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SaxonWolf

In Terry's albums, I just took a quick look and wanted to ask a question (I think we may have already answered this some time ago, can't remember), in one of the Kendo Nagasaki albums, the one with 230 pictures in, photo number 106, Kendo with no mask and full head of hair.

Who is he in the ring with?, I seem to think this was from a newspaper piece?

Also, was this taken in one of his "retired" spells?, he looks a lot smaller than his later TV appearances (the tags against Brookside and Regal), so I assume he wasn't actively working out.  I don't ever remember seeing him wrestle without a mask and with hair?, so assume he was not wrestling at all at this point.  

Finally, is this the only known picture of him smiling?, he looks easy going, friendly, nothing like his ring persona of course.

Oh, and his autograph, did we ever decipher it and what it means?  Lots of maths symbols (X, +, = , etc.)

Maybe we should just let the poor guy get on with his life!! ;)

February 7, 2018 at 8:55 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Bernard Hughes

Thanks for the Newcastle bill Ron.

The top of the bill goes to show that you were right David.  Czeslaw was not a middleweight.

Unfortunately , it also shows that Anglo will read this bill and say "SEE"

Because I would think that  Portz v Czeslaw was probably a catchweight bout.

Portz by this time was probably a full blown heavyweight, (I'm guessing because he was a midheavy when I last saw him live, Czeslaw was never ,in my opinion, a heavyweight.

Promoters , don't you just love them. To think that I believed everything that they said at one time. But then, didn't we all when we started?

--

February 7, 2018 at 9:40 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Anglo Italian

See ☺

I've got that Daily Mirror spread, Saxonwolf.  Somewhere.  It really did spill the beans.  He talks about wrestling against lazy wrestlers and making them work.  Up a side panel is Les Kellett talking about how he roughed up a promoter who told him what to do in the ring.  I always imagined this to be Mike Judd (because he is always the scapegoat)

Yes, Nagasaki is smiling away.  I think it was about 1976 and he must really have reckoned he'd retired to do such a job.  Wasn't he injured?  Then he unmasked on tv but still didn't wrestle.  And then he came back against Colin Joynson and Roger Wells etc maskless.  He was always less mobile from then on and, am I wrong, the kamikaze roll was no more?  Not hard to imagine that one too many of them would have done for him, never mind for his opponent.

It was more revealing than anything Pallo ever wrote but poor Pallo seemed to cop the guilt.

--

February 7, 2018 at 1:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

David Mantell

Kendo did Kamikaze Crashes on a regular basis into the 1990s, including on TV a good few times 87-88 (he got the finish on Neil Sands in the St Clair/Sands vs Naggers/Quinn tag bout with one and nearly finished Wayne Bridges with it - Bridges got up at 9 but he and his World Heavyweight title didn't last much longer, maybe another 30 seconds),

February 7, 2018 at 6:24 PM Flag Quote & Reply

David Mantell

SaxonWolf at February 7, 2018 at 8:55 AM

In Terry's albums, I just took a quick look and wanted to ask a question (I think we may have already answered this some time ago, can't remember), in one of the Kendo Nagasaki albums, the one with 230 pictures in, photo number 106, Kendo with no mask and full head of hair.

Also, was this taken in one of his "retired" spells?, he looks a lot smaller than his later TV appearances (the tags against Brookside and Regal), so I assume he wasn't actively working out.  I don't ever remember seeing him wrestle without a mask and with hair?, so assume he was not wrestling at all at this point.  

Finally, is this the only known picture of him smiling?, he looks easy going, friendly, nothing like his ring persona of course.

Oh, and his autograph, did we ever decipher it and what it means?  Lots of maths symbols (X, +, = , etc.)

If it's the photo I'm thinking of, it was taken in 1979, around the same time as the Big Daddy This Is Your Life (when he was also appeared with hair and no mask - and smiled a little, but didn't roar with laughter at every darn thing like George did.)  At the time he believed he was done with the game and was more relaxed about the mystique.

February 7, 2018 at 6:32 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SaxonWolf

David Mantell at February 7, 2018 at 6:32 PM

SaxonWolf at February 7, 2018 at 8:55 AM

If it's the photo I'm thinking of, it was taken in 1979, around the same time as the Big Daddy This Is Your Life (when he was also appeared with hair and no mask - and smiled a little, but didn't roar with laughter at every darn thing like George did.)  At the time he believed he was done with the game and was more relaxed about the mystique.

Yes, could be, timescale is what I wondered about, it is obviously after his TV unmasking, and subsequent appearances without a mask.  There are two pictures, one of Kendo sat in a ring (in a gym, with no one else around), and another bloke in wrestler gear, kneeling next to him.  The other picture is just a close up of Kendo, taken from the first image, which is the one I have seen before, so I wondered what the year was (Kendo looks like he hasn't trained in a while) and who the other person was?

February 7, 2018 at 7:52 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Anglo Italian

The other fellow is the reporter.  They had a pull around in the ring.  My memory was that this was 1976, before the unmasking, but David may be right that it's later.  When this article appeared, what with Les Kellett too, I really thought wrestling was dead.  But Nagasaki put his mask back on and it all continued as if the article had never existed.

--

February 8, 2018 at 1:13 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ron Historyo

Just added some Coventry 1955-1956 featuring some with Assirati nearing his final years with Joint , Garfield in his pomp and a Pallo v McManus match on the undercard of a bill. Dale Martins territory.

http://www.wrestlingheritage.co.uk/apps/photos/album?albumid=16109116

--

HISTORYO

February 20, 2018 at 5:41 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Bernard Hughes

Hi Ron, re your post of 6th of February.

Dick is still with us although he has not been too well.

I spoke to him and Les Prest yesterday.

It's over 51 years since I spoke to Dick . Long time

--

February 20, 2018 at 10:57 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ron Historyo

Bernard Hughes at February 20, 2018 at 10:57 AM

Hi Ron, re your post of 6th of February.

Dick is still with us although he has not been too well.

I spoke to him and Les Prest yesterday.

It's over 51 years since I spoke to Dick . Long time

It is a long time Bernard , even 1970 is nearly fifty years now and when I look at these bills it seems like just a few years ago.

--

HISTORYO

February 20, 2018 at 11:25 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Bernard Hughes

Hi Ron your post made me think again . It's 61 years !

Can't even do mental arithmetic now--must be getting old!

--

February 21, 2018 at 8:25 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.