WRESTLING HERITAGE

British wrestling history 

has a name

Heritage

Forums

Forum Home > Talk Wrestling > how much were wrestlers paid in the 30s,40s and 50s

blueboy

mates can anyone tell me how much the wrestlers were paid in the 30s,40s, and 50s many thanks blue boy.

--

step over toe hold:lol:

January 12, 2018 at 8:10 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ron Historyo

Anaconda (Henry Purvis) round about 1936/37 used to get £5 for a bout with promotor John Mortimer at Portsmouth. He was pretty much a bill topper although probably Jack Sherry got more. All this says to me that lesser rated wrestlers perhaps got £2-3 a bout.

From then on you have to remember that there was not much inflation. I bet even by 1970 some wrestlers did not even get a tenner a bout. (possibly much less as a working man was only on about £30 per week then.)

--

HISTORYO

Time Detective and Multi Heritage Award Winner

January 12, 2018 at 1:19 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Bernard Hughes

Hi Hack, I think that your estimate is a bit high especially for the 30's and 40's anyway.

--

January 12, 2018 at 5:24 PM Flag Quote & Reply

powerlock

Bernard Hughes at January 12, 2018 at 5:24 PM

Hi Hack, I think that your estimate is a bit high especially for the 30's and 40's anyway.

It would depend greatly on promotion, size of venue and how well known the wrestler was
January 12, 2018 at 5:45 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Philip Kenyon

I know the question is asking about the 30’s, 40’s and 50’s, but as an inclination I would like to tell you what I was earning in the early sixties.

Not being a “top of the bill” wrestler I would earn between 10£ and 15£ per bout, depending upon the venue and promotor.

By the way as a time served engineer (fitter & turner) I was earning around 25£ per week plus a yearly bonus of some 70£ depending upon the firms profits.

cheers

--

Mike Agusta (Phil Kenyon)

Wrestling Heritage D'Orazio Award Holder

Wrestling Heritage Vic Award Holder

Wrestling Heritage Pallo Snr. Award Holder

Heavy Middleweight belt Holder

Heritage Starr Award Holder
January 13, 2018 at 12:29 AM Flag Quote & Reply

blueboy

thanks for the info. a few more please:)

--

step over toe hold:lol:

January 13, 2018 at 4:25 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Bernard Hughes

Hi Phil. What date was that please?

Just roughly £10 per bout started when?

Thanks.

--

January 13, 2018 at 6:32 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Philip Kenyon

Bernard Hughes at January 13, 2018 at 6:32 AM

Hi Phil. What date was that please?

Just roughly £10 per bout started when?

Thanks.

Hi Bernard,

This would be around 1963/4

Cheers

--

Mike Agusta (Phil Kenyon)

Wrestling Heritage D'Orazio Award Holder

Wrestling Heritage Vic Award Holder

Wrestling Heritage Pallo Snr. Award Holder

Heavy Middleweight belt Holder

Heritage Starr Award Holder
January 14, 2018 at 1:01 AM Flag Quote & Reply

beancounter

Gerry Hoggarth tells me Atholl Oakley sent him a £25 bonus following his 1952 Royal Albert Hall victory over Jock Ward. However, rewards generally could not have been all that great as by 1954 Gerry was concentrating on Dairy and Poultry Farming instead.

January 15, 2018 at 8:44 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Bernard Hughes

Thank ou Phil

I'll stick to my original claim Hack.Do we have anyone that wrestled in the 50's that could give us an answer?

Could Les Prest ask Dickie Swales for instance, if I said please nicely?

--

January 15, 2018 at 8:57 AM Flag Quote & Reply

John
I have a copy of the 1985 documentary 'Count Bartelli of Crewe'. In it, he says that he debuted in 1939 and was paid 25 shillings (£1.25) for a preliminary bout. He said that his father worked a full week in the Crewe railway works and was paid £2.50 for the week. He said that he just needed to wrestle 2 bouts a week, which he could do easily, to earn as much as his father earned in a week. I also have a copy of Jackie Pallo's autobiography 'You Grunt, I'll Groan'. He says that he debuted in 1950 and was paid £4 to £5 for a bout. He said that the heavyweights earned between £8 to £10 a bout. He said that he had previously been earning about £8 for a full weeks work as car mechanic in a garage. So the wrestlers were not paid badly at the time, were they?
--

Middleweight Championship Belt Holder

January 15, 2018 at 4:18 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hack

I will do Bernard. Les might be reading this, though he has been having trouble with his I.T. skills recently.

--

British wrestling - great characters but the plot was always a bit of a mystery.

January 15, 2018 at 4:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Bernard Hughes

Hi Hack, please ask him and then you post Dickies reply.

--

January 16, 2018 at 7:01 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Bernard Hughes

By the way Hack, where has your original post on this thread gone?

It's missing from the sequence that I have.

--

January 16, 2018 at 7:04 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.