WRESTLING HERITAGE

British wrestling history 

has a name

Heritage

Forums

Forum Home > Talk Wrestling > Boxing and wrestling matches on the same bill.

Romeo

Apparently some years ago Promoters would feature boxing and wrestling matches on the same card.I have never come across this but there may be others on the site who have.Would it be a Boxing Promoter or a Wrestling Promoter who would organise this?Does anybody know if this practice still exists?Interested in other members comments.

--

Romeo

Lightweight Champion Belt

Wrestling Heritage Welterweight Belt Holder

Pallo Junior Award (10)

Middleweight Championship Belt (2)

Heavy-Middleweight Championship Belt

January 7, 2018 at 9:49 AM Flag Quote & Reply

The Riot Squad
Site Owner

You will read a great deal about boxing and wrestling combined shows in the 1930s years of A Year in Wrestling

http://www.wrestlingheritage.com/timeline

--

British wrestling history has a name - HERITAGE

January 7, 2018 at 10:01 AM Flag Quote & Reply

frank thomas
Remember reading some years ago that Paul lincoln promoted a card in Malta that included Mike marino wrestling and former world middleweight boxing champion, Randolph turpin involved in a boxing contest, seem to recall it being in James Morton's book "fighters"
January 7, 2018 at 10:10 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Romeo

Thanks Riot Squad.I will do that.I know it did happen from time to time during this period.Previously,Ron has posted bills that demonstrate this.However,I was meaning more in the Mountevans period.

--

Romeo

Lightweight Champion Belt

Wrestling Heritage Welterweight Belt Holder

Pallo Junior Award (10)

Middleweight Championship Belt (2)

Heavy-Middleweight Championship Belt

January 7, 2018 at 10:17 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ron Historyo

Probably not done by Joint Promotions but they did it in the Manchester Clubs. They would do anything for a nights entertainment , magicians , dancers , singers , bingo.

--

HISTORYO

Time Detective and Multi Heritage Award Winner

January 7, 2018 at 10:37 AM Flag Quote & Reply

james morton

It was certainly big in Australia with the wrestling bout being the top attraction. The British Boxing Board of Control banned licensed promoters putting wrestling on the same bill but i don't know when. 

January 7, 2018 at 11:00 AM Flag Quote & Reply

PETER

Coventry Pro Wrestling a very small present day promotion had Boxing (with headgear) on the same bill as Professional Wrestling three or four years ago

January 8, 2018 at 11:05 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Hack

Ron Historyo at January 7, 2018 at 10:37 AM

Probably not done by Joint Promotions but they did it in the Manchester Clubs. They would do anything for a nights entertainment , magicians , dancers , singers , bingo.

I can't see any boxing matches on wrestling shows including boxers licensed by the British Boxing Board of Control. Sam Betts (Dwight J Ingleburgh) told me of him boxing on unlicensed shows.

--

British wrestling - great characters but the plot was always a bit of a mystery.

January 14, 2018 at 6:52 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.