WRESTLING HERITAGE

British wrestling history 

has a name

Heritage

Forums

Forum Home > Talk Wrestling > Birmingham in the Galleries

The Riot Squad
Site Owner

Ron Historyo has excelled himself this time.

An incredible 15 new Albums in galleries of Birmingham wrestling from the late 1950s to the late 1960s.

http://www.wrestlingheritage.co.uk/apps/photos/

--

British wrestling history has a name - HERITAGE

January 6, 2018 at 5:29 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hack
I've spent days absorbed by these more than a dozen galleries. Ron has brought us into the 1960s and a time for which many of us have an emotional involvement. Thank you Ron
--

British wrestling - great characters but the plot was always a bit of a mystery.

January 10, 2018 at 2:21 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ron Historyo

One that is driving me mad is ....Who was Hans Dillinger.

Maybe Jack Dillon ?????

--

HISTORYO

Time Detective and Multi Heritage Award Winner

January 10, 2018 at 11:14 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Hack

I saw a fella with that name a bit later than this, probably 1966 on the independents. I think he was on against Haystacks Ed Bright. I hadn't heard of him before that day, or since.

--

British wrestling - great characters but the plot was always a bit of a mystery.

January 10, 2018 at 11:58 AM Flag Quote & Reply

I Pringle heavy middleweight champion

Hi Ron, I think i seen mainly about 1965  billed as Johan Dillenger. Thanks for all your great Gallery series.

Best regards, Ian Pringle

--

January 10, 2018 at 12:15 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Anglo Italian

As I browsed through these it took me back to a query a couple of weeks ago as to whether Lord Bertie Topham had really promised 100 if he failed to unmask the Saint.  We see now a further bill where Pete Roberts is billed as "ex-Saint" so it looks like Lord Bertie did the deed?

Pete Roberts as a masked man, and very young in 1965;  that's a new one for us, isn't it?

--

Still trying to work out what was going on!

January 10, 2018 at 1:02 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ron Historyo

Yes Anglo that was a messy thread when the images were not working as usual.

In fact it turned out to be a trilogy before Roberts was unmasked.

As for Dillan , according to A-Z he was Arthur Riley. I found Jack Dillon as a ref before he wrestled.

I even suspected an alias for Streiger. Maybe one of the wrestlers can help re Dillinger.

--

HISTORYO

January 10, 2018 at 1:09 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ron Historyo

Dillenger had been about for a long time. looks like a light to mid  Heavy.

--

HISTORYO

January 10, 2018 at 1:34 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hack

Come to think of it, it might well have been John Dillinger I saw in the match with Bright. Killer John Dillinger rings a bell. 

--

January 10, 2018 at 2:15 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SaxonWolf

Hans Dillinger was a German wrestler, had already wrestled in the UK in the late 50's against Mike Marino, Gwyn Davies and Eric Taylor, losing to all three.  He lost the 1965 match against Billy Two Rivers (which is billed on the poster above) by KO. 

January 10, 2018 at 8:26 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hack
Thanks SaxonWolf. Good work. My Killer John Dillinger (thar was definitely the name, I've rummaged through my files) 1966ish was almost certainly someone different. Hans sounds like a legit visitor for Joint. Killer John sounds like a short lived opposition creation. In my files I found reference to this John and the Johannesburg Dillinger mentioned by Ian. So, was Johann the same as Hans?
--

January 11, 2018 at 2:31 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ron Historyo

So a real one and not an invention. One for John Shelvey.

Thanks SAX

--

HISTORYO

January 11, 2018 at 3:15 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ron Historyo

Another little mystery for me is that I saw a Maurice LaRue at Belle Vue circa 1970. Colourful copy I thought of Adrian Street.

Most bills I see the name have a Roy LaRue but what I noticed was Larue the Apache. Trust they are all one and same.

Anybody see any of these versions.

--

HISTORYO

January 11, 2018 at 5:41 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Hack

Roy La Rue was a creation of Jack Taylor, with a starting point of Ron Houseman. Look who he was on against. Yukon Gordon? And there's Ed Bright again.

--

January 11, 2018 at 8:32 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ron Historyo

Just going back to Dillinger , I have him again so on this thread 1956, 1959 and 1965. Must have come over pretty often.

--

HISTORYO

January 11, 2018 at 11:08 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Anglo Italian

And crossing threads, Ron, Maurice Larue is another surprising inclusion in the Who's Who.

--

January 11, 2018 at 12:51 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ron Historyo

Must have been fate because I sold my Who's Who and other stuff , not sure who too but Hack bought some of it and invited me to Heritage , been here ever since. The only time I saw LaRue it was a poor bout.

There are some riches in the Birmingham Collection . Here is one for you Anglo..... Turbulent and Irresponsible !!!!!

Sunday night as well like Blackpool Tower ,Sunday Wrestling  cropped up on another thread.

--

HISTORYO

January 11, 2018 at 1:18 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SaxonWolf

Anglo Italian at January 11, 2018 at 12:51 PM

And crossing threads, Ron, Maurice Larue is another surprising inclusion in the Who's Who.

Indeed, a very strange one to have in, I assume he was just wrestling in the UK when the book was being researched, and managed to get an entry!

Maurice was Norman Lowndes, an Australian Wrestler who found fame in the USA and Canada as Norman Fredrick Charles III.

His original gimmick, in Australia in the 1960's, was a beach bum character called Murphy the Surfie. 

His last UK dates would have been early 80's, when he was in tags against Big Daddy as "Wild Red Berry" 

January 11, 2018 at 1:44 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SaxonWolf

And of course, if I had bothered to check the A-Z on this site, I could have just pointed people at that! 

January 11, 2018 at 1:50 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Anglo Italian

Irresponsible!  I really love that - it sounds like the truth coming through the hype of wrestling posters.  Many thanks, Ron.

These must be the last days of bill-topping Garfield, and he even doubled up his LLs.

Gazing down the bill, is Captain John Hall the John Hall from Croydon who trained Clive Myers?

--

January 11, 2018 at 3:57 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.