WRESTLING HERITAGE

British wrestling history 

has a name

Heritage

Forums

Forum Home > Talk Wrestling > Rocky Wall, R.I.P.

mickc
If a film company were casting for the role of Spartacus then Albert Wall would have got the job !RIp A true Legend of wrestling.
--
January 2, 2018 at 6:07 AM Flag Quote & Reply

PETER

A  real hard man who did lots to maintain the credibilty of Professional Wrestling

January 2, 2018 at 6:29 AM Flag Quote & Reply

SaxonWolf

Very sad news. One of the great heavyweights, RIP Albert Wall

January 2, 2018 at 7:38 AM Flag Quote & Reply

rockywall@hotmail.co.uk
It very heartwarming reading all these lovely messages about dad. I'll always cherish the Friday nights after school when dad would take me with him. The times sat on the stage in Hanley(maybe they were saturdays) and my favourite which was sat right at the back at the stadium in Liverpool. I said to him last week how I always remembered him parking up round the back and the smell which he said was a pea factory or something. Also whenever we would go over the top to Lancashire he'd always drive through Barnsley on the way home and I'd get to have a steak in a little restaurant up some stairs. It's funny the things that stick in your mind like always seeing the elephants nr the dressing rooms under the tower in Blackpool. Then the nights at bel vue and once going to watch the stock cars and speedway and go round the fair. He really did give us some fantastic times. Anyway thanks very much for all these touching memories it means a lot. Dave wall.
January 2, 2018 at 7:53 AM Flag Quote & Reply

I Pringle heavy middleweight champion

RI.P. Albert. I remember seeing Al many times in his early bouts at Newcastle. Hewas agreat favourate with all the crowd from the start of his carreer.

Condolences to all his family and friends. he will be remembered .

Ian Pringle.

--

January 2, 2018 at 8:04 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Graham
Loved watching Rocky at Middlesbrough town hall.One of the best.R.IP Mate.
January 2, 2018 at 8:08 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Romeo

A top heavyweight and a great champion.Condolences to his family.R.I.P. Rocky.

--

Romeo

Lightweight Champion Belt

Wrestling Heritage Welterweight Belt Holder

Pallo Junior Award (10)

Middleweight Championship Belt (2)

Heavy-Middleweight Championship Belt

January 2, 2018 at 8:52 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Alan
The sad passing of a true great. I have a list of my greatest heavyweight champions but never try to put them in order. Rocky Wall, Billy Joyce, Bill Robinson, Geoff Portz, Gwyn Davis. How could you pick between them? My condolences to his family and what a great loss to all wrestling fans. Thanks for the memory of many great bouts. RIP.
January 2, 2018 at 9:00 AM Flag Quote & Reply

ballymoss

Albert was one of the best heavyweights this country ever produced. I can recall seeing him on several occasions at Lime Grove Baths, where even hard nosed Londoners gave him a rousing reception. He was sheer class and his clash with the equally brilliant Geoff Portz was one of the best I ever  saw in the halcyon days of the 1960's. Such sad news to start the new year.

--
January 2, 2018 at 9:16 AM Flag Quote & Reply

frank thomas

rockywall@hotmail.co.uk at January 2, 2018 at 7:53 AM

It very heartwarming reading all these lovely messages about dad. I'll always cherish the Friday nights after school when dad would take me with him. The times sat on the stage in Hanley(maybe they were saturdays) and my favourite which was sat right at the back at the stadium in Liverpool. I said to him last week how I always remembered him parking up round the back and the smell which he said was a pea factory or something. Also whenever we would go over the top to Lancashire he'd always drive through Barnsley on the way home and I'd get to have a steak in a little restaurant up some stairs. It's funny the things that stick in your mind like always seeing the elephants nr the dressing rooms under the tower in Blackpool. Then the nights at bel vue and once going to watch the stock cars and speedway and go round the fair. He really did give us some fantastic times. Anyway thanks very much for all these touching memories it means a lot. Dave wall.

Your dad was along with his great rival gwyn Davies RIP my all time favourite dave. Saw him at Liverpool stadium many a time, btw the smell you talk about came from a factory called white, tomkins & courage, who were involved in the production of animal feeds I think. The stadium is now part of history, demolished thirty years ago, a car park stands there with not as much as a plaque to remind people of the past! Best wishes and sympathy to you and your family, and RIP albert, thanks for all the thrills and memories..
January 2, 2018 at 9:29 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Robert

Gary Wall at January 1, 2018 at 12:17 PM

It is with deep regret that we Gary, David and Russell announce the death of our beloved father Albert.

Funeral arrangements have been made for Rosehill crematorium, Ascot av, cantley , Doncaster .DN4 6HE

22/1/18 at 11.40.

Then after at Wheatley golf club, Armthorpe road, Doncaster. DN2 5QB

Sad news Rip.

--
January 2, 2018 at 10:05 AM Flag Quote & Reply

rockywall@hotmail.co.uk

frank thomas at January 2, 2018 at 9:29 AM

Your dad was along with his great rival gwyn Davies RIP my all time favourite dave. Saw him at Liverpool stadium many a time, btw the smell you talk about came from a factory called white, tomkins & courage, who were involved in the production of animal feeds I think. The stadium is now part of history, demolished thirty years ago, a car park stands there with not as much as a plaque to remind people of the past! Best wishes and sympathy to you and your family, and RIP albert, thanks for all the thrills and memories..

Yes frank. I googled the stadium last year sometime at dads and saw it was gone. That’s sad. I loved going there because I supported Liverpool. I remember in 74 Doncaster played Liverpool in the Fa cup at home and dad took me down to the dressing rooms and I met all the players. I was 13 and remember Emyln Hughes pulling my Parker hood down ruffling my hair and taking me round to meet my heroes. We met the great Bill Shankley outside who amazingly told my dad he often went to the wrestling at the stadium. Another memory one night can’t remember where he said he wanted us to meet someone and took us down to the dressing rooms. Out came the biggest man I have ever seen. He had to bend down to come through the door. I remember shaking a hand that was nearly half the size of me. He was Giant Jean ferre who later became Andre the giant.  My kids were amazed when I told them I’d met the giant when we watched ‘The Princess bride’  such great memories.

January 2, 2018 at 10:20 AM Flag Quote & Reply

SaxonWolf

rockywall@hotmail.co.uk at January 2, 2018 at 10:20 AM

frank thomas at January 2, 2018 at 9:29 AM

Yes frank. I googled the stadium last year sometime at dads and saw it was gone. That’s sad. I loved going there because I supported Liverpool. I remember in 74 Doncaster played Liverpool in the Fa cup at home and dad took me down to the dressing rooms and I met all the players. I was 13 and remember Emyln Hughes pulling my Parker hood down ruffling my hair and taking me round to meet my heroes. We met the great Bill Shankley outside who amazingly told my dad he often went to the wrestling at the stadium. Another memory one night can’t remember where he said he wanted us to meet someone and took us down to the dressing rooms. Out came the biggest man I have ever seen. He had to bend down to come through the door. I remember shaking a hand that was nearly half the size of me. He was Giant Jean ferre who later became Andre the giant.  My kids were amazed when I told them I’d met the giant when we watched ‘The Princess bride’  such great memories.

So sorry for your loss, and thanks for the brilliant stories of a famous dad!

January 2, 2018 at 10:27 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Tony Baker

Another of one of  the true greats gone

Rest in peace Albert you'll always be remembered

Tony

--

January 2, 2018 at 12:15 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jop Fourie

A true pro in wrestling. Attended a couple of his bouts in Durban, South Africa.

I informed Gert Snyman (former masked APOLLO) and Jan Wilkens. They send their condolences.

Gert said Albert was a great opponent in the ring and it was a pleasure to wrestle against him. His holds and counter holds made him a true master of his trade.

Condolences to his family.

Jop Fourie (Durban, South Africa).

January 2, 2018 at 12:52 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ron Historyo

Those stories of dad at Liverpool and Belle Vue were probably 1969. I was a regular at the Manchester End of things and at Belle Vue most weeks. Unfortunately i was not at this bout but your dad fought Jean Ferre.

Said it before , an absolute favorite and I thought he would unmask Nagasaki , but of course I believed it all to be real then.

--

HISTORYO

Time Detective and Multi Heritage Award Winner

January 2, 2018 at 1:53 PM Flag Quote & Reply

John McCarthy

Gary Wall at January 1, 2018 at 12:17 PM

It is with deep regret that we Gary, David and Russell announce the death of our beloved father Albert.

Funeral arrangements have been made for Rosehill crematorium, Ascot av, cantley , Doncaster .DN4 6HE

22/1/18 at 11.40.

Then after at Wheatley golf club, Armthorpe road, Doncaster. DN2 5QB

I'm very sad to hear of your loss.He was a great ambassador for the sport.He never gave less than 110%.My thoughts are with you and family x
January 2, 2018 at 2:05 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Eddie De-Wilde
I was very fortunate to see this gentleman. I was about 9 at the time some 51 years ago I have said before I used to go to the wrestling with my dad at the Queen's Hall and the public hall, Preston. I have numerous autograph books with many many wrestlers from the sixtys. My dad always pushed me forward to get a autograph. I remember very well standing in front of this giant, straight from the ring, towel over his shoulder and perspiring all over. Always had time to give time to everyone. As I said at the beginning, a true gentleman,great wrestler. I can always say , I was there. Thoughts to all his family Eddie
--
January 2, 2018 at 3:05 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Charlotte Wall x
Grandad always talked about his wrestling history and all the places in the world he was lucky enough to visit because of his career. Love reading all these comments and memories shared. I know my Dad and Uncle's will appreciate them too. Thanks everyone. RIP Grandad xxx
January 2, 2018 at 3:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

The Riot Squad
Site Owner

Martin Baird writes

Rip Albert.lovely fellah

--

British wrestling history has a name - HERITAGE

January 2, 2018 at 3:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.