WRESTLING HERITAGE

British wrestling history 

has a name

Heritage

Forums

Forum Home > Talk Wrestling > Who's who and why wasnt

paul mitchell
Thinking about several workers who weren't approached to be in The Who's Who of Wrestling,I have come to a conclusion that Mike Judd was a major deciding factor. I do know a couple of big names who refused to be included.
December 29, 2017 at 8:05 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Anglo Italian

So exclusions included Johnny Yearsley and Les Kellett.  Presumably their own choice as both major Dale Martin names at the time.

Not hard to imagine wrestlers who were disappointed at not being included.   A line had to be drawn somewhere.

Very hard to imagine who may have been excluded out of spite????

Awful binding but a great book.

The most fascinating thing of all this Christmas, Paul, is why your mind should have wandered to this 46 years on?

Speaking as a fan, it remains fascinating that a number of fleeting careers happen to be recorded in the book but nobody recalls seeing them wrestle:  Yorky Walker, Aaron Stone and a few others.

--

Still trying to work out what was going on!

December 29, 2017 at 9:32 AM Flag Quote & Reply

SaxonWolf

I was actually going to raise this a few weeks ago when looking through the "Who's Who" and noticing a few "unknowns", who had me scratching my head, who were they, why were they included?, related to other wrestlers or promoters?

December 29, 2017 at 2:43 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hack
I do think Paul should get an award for splendid topic titles, he's got quite a track record. Wasn't Co author Pam Edwards the wife of Mike Judd. There were certainly some strange omissions and even stranger additions. Yorkie Walker ?
--

British wrestling - great characters but the plot was always a bit of a mystery.

December 29, 2017 at 6:42 PM Flag Quote & Reply

paul mitchell
Hmmm hack was she or was mike Pam despite the pics with mick and kendo
December 29, 2017 at 6:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

wryton
Yes, awful binding. More major missings were Alan Dennison, Jim Breaks and the great Billy Howes!
December 29, 2017 at 7:46 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Anglo Italian

Now that's a fascinating revelation, Paul.  Pam wasn't but Mike was.  We had a similar theory, also with Saxonwolf, the year before the WWOW in the Mick McManus Wrestling Book, allegededly by Charles Arnold.  We discussed whether he really existed and whether the book had actually been written by Mick who himself had acquired a taste for name-changing just five years earlier.

Maybe Mike wrote both books?

We have tried to discuss Mike several times but our progress usually falters amid a barrage of negative comments.  These are based on behind the scenes goings on that most of us were not privy to.  The fact that, publicly, he was such a good emcee makes it hard, for me, to equate such behind-the-scenes unscrupulousness and I prefer to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Let's face it, by 1970 DMs was maintaining a substantial peak.  The much respected promoters were nevertheless getting old and needed to bring in fresh middle-management.  It would have been surprising if the exixting wrestlers had welcomed Mike Judd  with open arms and I am sure we have all witnessed such rejection of new managers in our own walks of life.  Seems to be human nature.

Your revelation causes me to reconsider.  Genial Joe and Pam wouldn't have deliberately excluded anyone ... but Slasher Mike may have wreaked punishment on naughty boys!

--

December 30, 2017 at 4:03 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Hack

Paul Mitchell is the mystery man.

Come on Paul tell us what you know. We are all friends here.

--

British wrestling - great characters but the plot was always a bit of a mystery.

December 30, 2017 at 3:45 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SaxonWolf

Anglo Italian at December 30, 2017 at 4:03 AM

Now that's a fascinating revelation, Paul.  Pam wasn't but Mike was.  We had a similar theory, also with Saxonwolf, the year before the WWOW in the Mick McManus Wrestling Book, allegededly by Charles Arnold.  We discussed whether he really existed and whether the book had actually been written by Mick who himself had acquired a taste for name-changing just five years earlier.

Maybe Mike wrote both books?

We have tried to discuss Mike several times but our progress usually falters amid a barrage of negative comments.  These are based on behind the scenes goings on that most of us were not privy to.  The fact that, publicly, he was such a good emcee makes it hard, for me, to equate such behind-the-scenes unscrupulousness and I prefer to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Let's face it, by 1970 DMs was maintaining a substantial peak.  The much respected promoters were nevertheless getting old and needed to bring in fresh middle-management.  It would have been surprising if the exixting wrestlers had welcomed Mike Judd  with open arms and I am sure we have all witnessed such rejection of new managers in our own walks of life.  Seems to be human nature.

Your revelation causes me to reconsider.  Genial Joe and Pam wouldn't have deliberately excluded anyone ... but Slasher Mike may have wreaked punishment on naughty boys!

As I said back in 2015 about "Charles Arnold", it was the Pseudonym of a courts reporter, called Arnold Latcham, who "moonlighted" for Titbits magazine, interviewing wrestlers. 

January 2, 2018 at 12:04 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Anglo Italian

Yes, but the gross innaccuracies in TMMWB lead us to believe Mick actually wrote it and just used Charles Arnold's name, clearly with permission.

--

January 2, 2018 at 12:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SaxonWolf

The "Charles" part of his name, could be taken from another well known court reporter of the time, Charles Doherty.  I would assume both men spent numerous occasions sat together in court, taking notes, Latcham for the Daily Express.

January 2, 2018 at 12:16 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SaxonWolf

Anglo Italian at January 2, 2018 at 12:14 PM

Yes, but the gross innaccuracies in TMMWB lead us to believe Mick actually wrote it and just used Charles Arnold's name, clearly with permission.

Maybe that was the case, but like most things in professional wrestling, I guess we will never know!

January 2, 2018 at 12:17 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Anglo Italian

Anyway, back on topic and Mike was doing a Mick?

--

January 2, 2018 at 12:46 PM Flag Quote & Reply

paul mitchell

Hack at December 30, 2017 at 3:45 PM

Paul Mitchell is the mystery man.

Come on Paul tell us what you know. We are all friends here.

Never keen on wearing the bonett Hack,the while who's who project was problematic and egos were bruised ,the northern nominees included mike the doc who had about 7 bouts experience ,joes input was excellent ,and Pamela did exist she was photographed with Nagasaki for inclusion in northern mat programmes but only ever seen in dales ,the enigmatic mrs Judd.
January 11, 2018 at 12:38 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hack

Thanks Paul. Anglo Italian will be relieved  to hear Pam did exist. His teenage dreams were not in vain.

You don't answer the original question though. Who refused to be included? I heard that some asked for money.

Who wasn't approached?

Come on Paul. Spit it out.No one else is reading/

--

January 14, 2018 at 6:58 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Anglo Italian

Paul, your view of Mrs Judd is not necessarily focused.   She was in that Wrestler magazine chatting to Naggers (when some of us still thought he was Japanese) and sure, they lifted bits from the magazine for programmes.

Youuuu have told us she was Mrs Judd.  Thank you.

The question is whether she was just a mouthpiece for Mike?  You have led us down that route.  Or was she really an authoritative wrestling journalist?

Pam's place in our countdown of the top 20 Ladies of Wrestling is at stake.  Pam can be removed if exposed as a Patsy.

So I second Hack's request for spittle.  As it were.

--

January 15, 2018 at 3:34 PM Flag Quote & Reply

The 1978 Kid

I think this website's A-Z has far outclased and surpassed the Who's Who

January 15, 2018 at 4:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hack

You say the kindest of things 1978 Kid.  But it's true.

--

January 15, 2018 at 4:18 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.