British wrestling celebrating wrestling and 
wrestlers from 1930 onwards through 
fifty glorious years of British wrestling history

Forums

Forum Home > Talk Wrestling > THE ROYAL BROTHERS

Bill Smith

Bert and Vic.

Were you a fan?

They were tremendous performers,all action,keen and eager.Never backed down,always "clean" and "within the rules"

Did you secretly want them to lose,or were you shouting for them to win?

Answers please.

November 12, 2017 at 7:32 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ron Historyo

No complaints from me if they were in a show i went to. Singles or Tag , made no difference.

Always wanted them to win.

--

HISTORYO

Time Detective and Multi Heritage Award Winner

November 13, 2017 at 3:06 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ron Historyo

A rare bill showing the Family connection.

--

HISTORYO

Time Detective and Multi Heritage Award Winner

November 13, 2017 at 3:18 AM Flag Quote & Reply

powerlock

Ron Historyo at November 13, 2017 at 3:18 AM

A rare bill showing the Family connection.

I see Bill Rawlings there and wonder if they could have increased the rivalry by making it the Rawlings as the Yorkshire team
November 13, 2017 at 6:06 AM Flag Quote & Reply

powerlock
As a tag team they rarely lost, both excellent singles wrestlers but really excelled as a team I preferred them as a team
November 13, 2017 at 6:08 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Graham Bawden
As a tag team, or as individual wrestlers Bert and Vic were two of the best. Two highly skilled wrestlers from a wrestling family.
--

Graham Bawden. Wrestling Heritage Heavy - Middleweight Championship Belt Holder,  Wrestling Heritage Pallo Junior Award Holder, Wrestling Heritage D ` Orazio Award Holder.  Wrestling Heritage Starr Award Holder.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            

November 13, 2017 at 10:16 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Anglo Italian

Not a surname shared amongst the three of them on Ron's bill!

Apart from some inconclusive grainy Youtube snippets, I never saw Vic Hesselle wresselle.  I am wondering whether the style was his and Vic and Bert carried it on and honed it;  or whether he had a completely different style?

Vic and Bert were carbon copies style-wise but of course not looks-wise....as we discussed at great length a few years ago when it was asked whether they were genuinely blood brothers.

About 90% of Members believed the promoters and the other 10% included unsures and out and out skeptics.

But just think where believing the promoters usually leads us ....

--

Still trying to work out what was going on!

November 13, 2017 at 1:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

John
I thought that Royal Brothers were both great wrestlers and when I watched them as a youngster, I definitely wanted them to win. I loved watching their tag bouts when I was young but enjoy watching the tags less now because now I have seen them repeated you realise that their tag matches were all fairly similar, with the same routines being repeated. They were two of the all-time great singles wrestlers though, in my opinion.
--

Middleweight Championship Belt Holder

November 13, 2017 at 3:19 PM Flag Quote & Reply

matey dave

were they ever allowed to be beaten

--

blessed are the pacemakers

really do need my medication

more tea vicar and another jammy dodger

nurse, i need changing and my complan has gone cold

close friend of gladys the impaler

November 13, 2017 at 5:08 PM Flag Quote & Reply

frank
Both great wrestlers no doubt about that but I was never a fan. I remember seeing Bert Royal giving Mark Rocco the old face slap that he used to do. Rocco did it back to him only about 5 times as hard and nearly took his head off. I never saw Bert slap him again after that. Lol
November 14, 2017 at 1:31 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Graham Bawden
I recall Bert Royal's bouts versus Rollerball Rocco. You watched from the edge of your seat. These two worked well together, with Rocco really generating the heat from the crowd. And Bert Royal in full retaliation mode. Great times.
--

Graham Bawden. Wrestling Heritage Heavy - Middleweight Championship Belt Holder,  Wrestling Heritage Pallo Junior Award Holder, Wrestling Heritage D ` Orazio Award Holder.  Wrestling Heritage Starr Award Holder.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            

November 15, 2017 at 11:09 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Anglo Italian

That tag bout we can still view from 1970, the Saints v the Royals:  Bert Royal is breathtakingly fast in that and you need slow motion to see his moves.

--

November 15, 2017 at 1:00 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Anglo Italian

That tag bout we can still view from 1970, the Saints v the Royals:  Bert Royal is breathtakingly fast in that and you need slow motion to see his moves.

--

November 15, 2017 at 1:00 PM Flag Quote & Reply

frank
But ...were they REALLY brothers? Not all was what it seemed in the wrestling world and the resemblance was hardly striking was it. Infact I have it from good authority that they were infact NOT brothers at all. Who knows!
November 15, 2017 at 1:13 PM Flag Quote & Reply

paul mitchell
Both. Bert and Vic were silky smooth and fit and fast a round with either was a lung buster.oh andYES without any doubt they were brothers.Both lads took the game very seriously,remember losing Bert's phone number and looking it up in old Blackburn directory,listing was Herbert Faulkner professional athlete.Still one of the nicest guys in the game.
November 15, 2017 at 2:56 PM Flag Quote & Reply

frank thomas
Wouldn't miss a show with the royal brothers on, especially loved seeing them V the borg twins, lightning fast non-stop action guaranteed!
November 16, 2017 at 9:11 AM Flag Quote & Reply

frank
Was it only me who supported the bad guys then? When I think about it all my favorite wrestlers were villains apart from Steve Grey who was about as Blue eye as they come.
November 16, 2017 at 11:47 AM Flag Quote & Reply

frank thomas

frank at November 16, 2017 at 11:47 AM

Was it only me who supported the bad guys then? When I think about it all my favorite wrestlers were villains apart from Steve Grey who was about as Blue eye as they come.

Hi frank, I too loved a bad guy. Chief among them, pat roach, gwyn Davies and Shirley crabtree
November 17, 2017 at 12:52 PM Flag Quote & Reply

frank
Hi Mate. Rocco. Nagasaki. Finley. Quinn. Loved those guys! :-)
November 17, 2017 at 1:30 PM Flag Quote & Reply

frank
Hi Mate. Rocco. Nagasaki. Finley. Quinn. Loved those guys! :-)
November 17, 2017 at 1:30 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.