A hobby site created by enthusiasts of 
British wrestling celebrating wrestling and 
wrestlers from 1930 onwards through 
fifty glorious years of British wrestling history

Forums

Forum Home > Talk Wrestling > Steve Wright

Hack

Talking of belts.

Can anyone shed any light on this belt held by Steve Wright in The Wrestler magazine 1972.

--

British wrestling - great characters but the plot was always a bit of a mystery.

November 9, 2017 at 1:05 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SaxonWolf

Hack at November 9, 2017 at 1:05 PM

Talking of belts.

Can anyone shed any light on this belt held by Steve Wright in The Wrestler magazine 1972.

Hack, could it be a belt he was challenging for, rather than one he had won?

I read that Steve Wright went to Mexico in 1968 to fight for the NWA World Middleweight Title, against belt holder Rene Guajardo, which Wright lost 2-1 in a three falls bout.  Could this be a pre-match pose with the belt he was after?

November 9, 2017 at 5:22 PM Flag Quote & Reply

wryton
The Wryton Belt.
November 10, 2017 at 7:03 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Hack
Thanks SaxonWolf and Wryton. Saxo's reply seemed feasible but Wryton seems assured. What can you tell us about the Wryton belt? Was it a tournament? Annual? Where and when did the belt originate?
--

British wrestling - great characters but the plot was always a bit of a mystery.

November 10, 2017 at 10:16 AM Flag Quote & Reply

I Pringle heavy middleweight champion

Hi.Hack and all involved about Steve Wright and the belt. Yes it was a Wryton belt and from memory seeing some old programmes of mine it was for THE ANNUAL BELT and was a tournament held at ALTRINCHAM. Hope this is correct and helps all involved.

All the best to all on the site,Ian Pringle.

--

November 10, 2017 at 12:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SaxonWolf

I Pringle heavy middleweight champion at November 10, 2017 at 12:14 PM

Hi.Hack and all involved about Steve Wright and the belt. Yes it was a Wryton belt and from memory seeing some old programmes of mine it was for THE ANNUAL BELT and was a tournament held at ALTRINCHAM. Hope this is correct and helps all involved.

All the best to all on the site,Ian Pringle.

Great stuff,  you learn something new everyday on here! 

November 10, 2017 at 12:30 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hack

Excellent Ian, thanks for that.

It's a bit of a mystery though why this very small annual tournament that I bet few of us knew about should have such a magnificent looking belt. Any bets on Steve just borrowing it for the photo shoot? I wonder where the belt came from and who was the owner?

I was watching wrestling at that time, and have just been through posters and programmes for 1971 and 1972 and can find no reference to Steve winning the belt on any of them. 

Well done guys.

--

November 10, 2017 at 3:36 PM Flag Quote & Reply

wryton
Eliminating contests used to take place in the regular Wryton venues, with the semis and finals taking place at either Bolton or Altrincham, I'll see if I can dig anything up.
November 11, 2017 at 7:46 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Hack
Thanks Wryton. I'd be interested in that.
--

November 11, 2017 at 8:36 AM Flag Quote & Reply

powerlock
I wonder how many more annual tournaments were held around the country or was this a one off. And at what weight class was it held at or did the weight class vary from year to year?
November 11, 2017 at 1:25 PM Flag Quote & Reply

wryton
If you look at Ron's galleries for Bolton Early 70's - the one dated October 20th 1972 mentions it. i've a programme for Hanley 16-12-72 with it on too.
November 12, 2017 at 9:24 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Hack

powerlock at November 11, 2017 at 1:25 PM

I wonder how many more annual tournaments were held around the country or was this a one off. And at what weight class was it held at or did the weight class vary from year to year?

I wonder if they used the same belt. Thanks Wryton.
--

November 12, 2017 at 9:35 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ruslan Pashayev

Dear Hack, thanks for your post, appreciate.I have some info on the belt which was held by Steve Wright in the early 1970s. It was a very very very old belt, better say a historical title belt from the early 1900's.I researched English titles from the early 1900s on BritishNewspaperArchives (BNA) that site is quite helpful British Library did a good job digitizing their collections and making them available online. But, long story short. There was a sporting promoter from London his name was Joseph Smith, he produced many belts for his boxing and wrestling champions.The belt used by famous champion wrestler Tom Connor and Steve Wright, and yes it was the same belt, was one of many Joe Smith belts. All belts had similar designs, both boxing and wrestling.The thing is Tom Connor himself never won any actual physical  title belts, but he borrowed existing belt for his promotional pic, which I'm sure was taken in berween 1904-1908.Joe Smith's Wrestling Championships were the most important CACC Title in England during that era.Wrestlers who held his titles were super stars among them Peter Gotz, Lauritz Nielsen, Henry Irslinger, Joe Oshood, Young Jack Smith who became famous boxing and wrestling referee.I desperately tried to figure out what was that belt emblematic of...tried to find out who was the real owner/winner of that belt's title.But I wasn't successful. Again Joe Smith had many champions and his titles were annual.Smith was first English promoter who introduced all existing boxing weight classes into CACC wrestling.

November 16, 2017 at 7:16 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ruslan Pashayev

https://imgur.com/unKIMhS

November 16, 2017 at 7:48 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ruslan Pashayev

Thats the link to the photo of Tom Connor from my collection which I mentioned in my previous post. I have trouble with posting actual pics...so heres the link to it.

November 16, 2017 at 7:50 AM Flag Quote & Reply

SaxonWolf

Ruslan Pashayev at November 16, 2017 at 7:50 AM

Thats the link to the photo of Tom Connor from my collection which I mentioned in my previous post. I have trouble with posting actual pics...so heres the link to it.

Good information, thanks! 

November 16, 2017 at 12:44 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ruslan Pashayev

If anyone has good quality photos of that Steve Wright Belt (or Wryton Belt) please make a post of them I would highly appreciate that, it can help to finally find out who won it in the early 1900's and which weight class it was. Thanks in advance.Kind regards, Ruslan.

November 17, 2017 at 11:07 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.